Sub Phatty or Sub/Subsequent 37? I know! But please read!

Everything Sub.
The Big Ship

Sub Phatty or Sub/Subsequent 37? I know! But please read!

Post by The Big Ship » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:10 am

Hi guys,

I'm a new comer to the forum. I realise that this is a done topic but I just wanted a little advice from some experts as I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'm a relatively new comer to world of synths but a long time musician and band member. I entered into the synth world a couple of years ago with a Korg Monologue. Followed by a KARP Odyssey and then a Korg Poly 61, which I actually find quite good with some tweaking.

I've started to use synths a lot more in the music I'm making and my sights have now been turned to the sound of a Moog. So I am between the Sub Phatty or Sub/Subsequent 37. I've had to sell a few bits to get some funds up and now have enough for a second hand SP. If I sell the Monologue and get a few more funds up I could possibly stretch to a second hand Sub or Subsequent 37. So my question is which do you guys think? I'm in Ireland and don’t have any stores that have either to try out.

I've read in a few places that the SP beats the 37 on basic sound and is a little fatter and rounder. But the 37 obviously has way more features, more keys and has more or less one knob per function as opposed to hidden features. The SP would obviously save me a few quid and I wouldn’t have to sell the Monologue which is a handy little synth that you can just throw in a bag and has a sequencer. With the 37 I would gain an arpeggiator and sequencer an lots of other functions but lose the Monologue. As regards whether a Sub or Subsequent 37 that would depend on what was available at the time really.

So what do you guys think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

till

Re: Sub Phatty or Sub/Subsequent 37? I know! But please read

Post by till » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:59 pm

I had a friend's Sub37 next to my SubPhatty and had both connected to the very same mixer and loudspeakers. And the did sound absolutely the same in most settings. Only the features available not to the SubPhatty made the sound different, if these were used.

I still got my SubPhatty here. To me it is more or less the sonic and economic equivalent to my good old Prodigy, my first own synth.

The Sub37 adds some more knobs for those somewhat hidden features ("Shift Mode") of the SubPhatty. So you get a DETUNE and a BEATING knob, while on the SubPhatty you use one knob for both parameters by switching the the hidden parameters. And there are other examples for this. So in terms of easy usage, the Sub37 is easier to use.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

The Big Ship

Post by The Big Ship » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for reply and info Till. That’s interesting they both sound so similar. I guess it’s really just weighing up whether the extra features, knobs, keys, sequencer etc are worth the extra cash. Would prob be about 400 to 500 euro in the difference.

I’ve only really ever messed around with the sequencer on the Monologue and never built a song around it but who knows in the future if I have one on a Moog. Plus the extra modulation and LFO could come in handy.

Did you think that the fact the 37 has some digital parameters detracted from its analog feel at all?

Do you find the Shift Mode cumbersome on the SP? Which synth would you recommend for someone with limited experience with synths?

Thanks

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Having bought both models (subphatty and sub37), I would get the sub37. I sold the subphatty because I found the too much function encoded into keyboard keys, and too few preset location to save to. They both sound fantastic - the sub 37 was just easier to use.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

The Big Ship

Post by The Big Ship » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks MRNUTTY. I appreciate the advice especially since you’ve owned both. I am kinda leaning more towards the Sub/Subsequent 37 for the extra features. I’m still doubting whether it’s worth it but I am leaning that way.

till

Post by till » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 pm

The Big Ship wrote:...
Do you find the Shift Mode cumbersome on the SP? Which synth would you recommend for someone with limited experience with synths?
As I wrote in my last sentence of my first posting in this thread: I think the Sub37 is easier to use. And having two functions for one knob is not that intuitive. Especially the frequency/beating adjustment is not that easy, as you have to switch from one mode to the other to reach these interacting parameters. On the Sub37 there are two knobs side by side for this.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

The Big Ship

Post by The Big Ship » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks Till. It’s conveniences like that that can make you want to play an instrument more. It might be worth the extra money.

My only other concern is the digital modulation and whether it takes away from the analog feel and sound. Did any of you find this? None of the reviewers on the Net seem to think so.

Thanks

till

Post by till » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:52 pm

The Big Ship wrote:...
My only other concern is the digital modulation and whether it takes away from the analog feel and sound. Did any of you find this? None of the reviewers on the Net seem to think so.
Not a problem to me for for the last 20 years. But older synths like the Oberheim Matrix, PPG waves or the Waldorf WAVE and others used a too slow processor to get fast enough modulation updates.
But this is not a problem nowadays anymore.
In fact, it is impossible for most if not all to tell if an LFO is real analog (with digital control due to patch memory) or a full digital. The same for envelopes. And digital envelopes allow parameters like variable slope curves, sometimes per stage, which are not seen on pure analog envelopes.

So, unless a manufacture did something very stupid or you got golden ears, you won't notice a difference, except for well adjusted LFO and envelopes. So that these are all alike from one to another synth and need no calibration.

Sequence:

The Big Ship

Post by The Big Ship » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks till I really appreciate the advice. If I’m dropping money on a Moog I want to make sure it’s the real deal and can get that classic analog Moog sound that I’m such a fan of.

I put an offer in for a second hand Subsequent 37. Still waiting to hear back from the seller. His communication seems to be terrible unfortunately. Hopefully I hear soon. There is a second hand Sub Phatty available too for around half the price so that is an option too but I’m definitely leaning towards the Sub. Hopefully the seller replies cos as I said in Ireland options are limited and I can’t afford to buy brand new.

Thanks again for the help guys.

The Big Ship

Post by The Big Ship » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:42 am

Hi guys,

I am now the proud owner of a second hand Subsequent 37 in immaculate condition. I’ve only just got it so haven’t had loads of time to explore but what I have played and heard sounds great! I’m seriously looking forward to delving deeper into this instrument.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice guys.

Al

The Big Ship

Post by The Big Ship » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:23 am

Thanks!!!

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Good for you! I love the sound of mine very much :-)
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.