No Reply From Moog Support?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
alainhubert

Re: No Reply From Moog Support?

Post by alainhubert » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:24 pm

I think that the moderators of this forum locked that thread because it was getting filled more and more with personal insults and was going off the tracks.

Your last reply here is also tainted with the much of the same. If you have an anger management issue, might I suggest that you consult and get the help you deserve ? And I hope for their sake that the health care professionals not ignore you... :twisted: :wink:

Just joking. I know it can't be frustrating trying to get things resolved but, having had bad experiences myself with customer support from other companies, I can only advise you to be very very patient, courteous, understanding, as precise as possible, be ready to repeat and explain your issues over and over again, until either you get satisfaction or you decide to give up.

I can share this with you, to demonstrate that you're not alone. On one of my brand new polyphonic synth from another manufacturer, there was a big problem of digital encoders not always registering and jumping values when turning them. After many weeks of back and forth communications, they decided to send me two new front panel boards to replace the "defective ones" in my synth. Which I did myself (I'm technically qualified). Only to discover that the new boards suffered from the same problem... Arrrgh ! After many more weeks of frustration, it turned out to be a big flaw in the operating system code (yes, a stupid software BUG), which was corrected completely with a new firmware update. The whole frustrating thing lasted a few months !
That other company in question is also a small team much like Moog Music. And yes, some weeks had went by without any replies from them also on occasion (the support team member assigned to my case had been sick).

These companies are not huge, multimillion dollar enterprises with quasi-unlimited resources like Yamaha, or Roland.
I sincerely wish you luck and sympathise with you.

Alain.

Simon28

Post by Simon28 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks for your supporting words.

Anger management or not, I wanted to give some feedback about it somewhere, since there was no other chance to get any reaction by mail or more readers than the one ignoring me.

I numbered my up to 3 questions and still got only one answered, got twice the same firmware version and only just one version instead of some to test and so on. At the end it is a bug that can't be fixed atm, not even by going back to a different firmware version, so I have to wait for an update. My unanswered and very obvious question at the and was if they can notify me when a new version with the fix is released.

So I accept my pitchbend wheel not working for an uncertain time. To me it is an important and basic feature of a Moog synth.

Other supports give you free sound or preset packs, stickers - but at the very least an answer with empathizing words. I don't have any synths from big companies as you mentioned. The supports I consult are all small, but passionate. Kind words and answers within a few days - maybe occasionally one week - are absolutely common.

No answer at all never happened besides when communicating with Moog support. And unfortunately it did not happen for the first time either.

And that is exactly the reason why I am complaining about it.

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 pm

A pitch bend wheel that can precisely give you a given pitch when fully up, or down, is something that hasn't always existed.

Back in the days of fully analog machines, like my vintage Minimoog D, the pitch range of that wheel is not adjustable and varies a little, from one Minimoog to the next. And since it's an analog machine, depending on a few factors like temperature, oxydation, dust, vibration, the resulting pitch cannot be absolutely guaranteed when at both extremities of the wheel range. Moreover, on the Mini, the center notch is not equipped with a "dead zone" where nothing happens to the pitch in order to return the instrument to the right pitch when brought back to the center position. All of this requires a mastering of the manipulation of that extremely sensitive and temperamental pitch bend wheel. To top it all off, it's not even spring-loaded ! It took me about a year to master it.

So you see, your complaint about a pitch bend wheel not giving you exactly what you want makes me grin a little. It's like a guitar player complaining that the whammy bar doesn't always give 2 semitones up or down on his Fender Strat... :roll:

Although I understand, and agree with you, that it should work as advertised.

Simon28

Post by Simon28 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:46 pm

You might not have read the thread, but It took me over a month and 3 devices until this issue got acknowledged as a bug by the support.
The developers knew about it before, but support did not even dare to ask them about it for many e-Mails (that equals to 5-6 weeks in Moog support time).

Until then me and the retailer didn't know, if my device itself is faulty and needs to be replaced or if it is a bug.
They also did not laugh after delivering the third unit to see at the end, it's just a bug.

So no offense, but you can always grin on problems you don't have and don't fully understand - that does not require any social skills.
Although I understand, and agree with you, that it should work as advertised.
Thank you...

... but it's not even the bug itself I am complaining about, but the handling of customers having a valid issue with the product:
No answer at all never happened besides when communicating with Moog support. And unfortunately it did not happen for the first time either.

And that is exactly the reason why I am complaining about it.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Simon28 wrote:Why do you just lock this post without any comment?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31992
Really? You call support ignorant in the title, many people pointed this out to you, and yet you still wonder where the good will goes? I would have deleted the whole thing this thread included. It’s inappropriate, and serves no positive purpose for the community.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

Simon28

Post by Simon28 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:16 pm

You call support ignorant in the title, many people pointed this out to you, and yet you still wonder where the good will goes?
and again sitting the wrong way on the horse. I complained here about something that has happened and was ignorant behavior. Not I complained and then they got ignorant.
If you also do not agree on this word you still have to admit, there is a reason to use it in this case. It is not an f word and only insulting if untrue. I am not running around wildly calling people names because of anger issues. I try to change something that is not going right.

An example for you to understand: If a person gets attacked by another person and he kills the attacker in self defense, since he has no other choice to protect himself, he will walk free legally. To call his behavior inappropriate then is very unemphatic to say the least.
It’s inappropriate, and serves no positive purpose for the community.
Not only positive comments are useful to the community and it is not inappropriate to complain and give feedback about an issue for valid reasons here.
I really thought and hoped it is not a behavior from support that Moog as a company or brand really stands behind. Neither that big part of the community...

Now let's see how it could benefit to the community then despite being a rather negative post:

A. I wanted to give feedback to Moog that cases like this happen again and again and they should please take care about either this case already or at least for future cases to not let it come this far.

or

B. If they do stand behind this quality (product and support) and behavior, then I want to warn the community or any potential buyer actually.

Well, sorry if it clouded your sunny day, I also would like to have only positive experiences.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:10 am

Sell it and move on then.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.