a couple Voyager mod ideas...

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ummagumma

a couple Voyager mod ideas...

Post by ummagumma » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:39 pm

when I get some time, I plan to research & see if these are possible:

1. add a CV in, to control the Filter Spacing ( I dislike having to tie up a mod matrix, just to do this )
2. add a switch to disable each OSC 1,2,3 PWM/WAVE shaping ( right now it's a global control that affects all 3 OSC )
3. add CV in, for PWM/WAVE mod of each oscillator

4. Something else I really like about the model D reissue, is the LFO control down by the mod wheels. Being able to ride the mod wheel, pitch wheel, and LFO speed with one hand is super flexible. Have been thinking about adding that to the Voyager....although a foot pedal controller could accomplish the same. Not as "handy" to use though!

ummagumma

Re: a couple Voyager mod ideas...

Post by ummagumma » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 pm

one other crazy idea:

5. build an authentic CP3 mixer circuit, on it's own board. figure out how to interrupt the signal between the digital board ( which handles the pot information ) and the stock mixer circuit

install a toggle switch for "vintage" and "modern" mixer circuits. Then you would have the stock Voyager sounds ( and all the existing presets ) but also be able to use the dirty CP3 vintage style mixer, instead. Would be interesting to run some of the presets through, too

the stock mixer circuit on the Voyager is probably on an IC....but it should still be possible to switch between them?

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 am

Even though it's for the Voyager OS you may find this of some value:
http://www.donsolaris.com/moog/VoyagerOSMods.pdf

Funny I was just checking the back of the Voyager for a Spacing CV input the other day. I couldn't remember if it had one. But as long as there's midi CC control I don't find much if any additional value adding a direct CV.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:08 am

thanks!

yes, that document by Don Solaris it is what made me think individual OSC PWM control may be possible

my goal is to improve CV interfacing with other modular gear, and even the Voyager itself.

MIDI CC for spacing would involve too much extra equipment, I think? I would need another controller, plus a MIDI to CV converter

Although I wonder: has anyone setup a CV--->MIDI device, that has direct access to all the Voyager's CC parameters?

the MIDI step values might be audible, in some parameter sweeps. Turning off the Voyager parameter display increases it's internal resolution, but I doubt that would apply to external MIDI?

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 am

ummagumma wrote: 2. add a switch to disable each OSC 1,2,3 PWM/WAVE shaping ( right now it's a global control that affects all 3 OSC )
It’s possible to add a switch that disables pwm for osc 3.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:11 am

ummagumma wrote:
Although I wonder: has anyone setup a CV--->MIDI device, that has direct access to all the Voyager's CC parameters?

There is one device I konw you already have that takes in CV and transmits midi; the Voyager! Send a CV into Mod 1 or Mod 2 and it transmits midi out. I realize this defeats the purpose since you already stated you don't want to give up a mod bus. But there are lot's of other boards with CV >> midi out capability although we think of them strictly as expression pedal inputs. So you may already have something available. For a dedicated device maybe Kenton has something?

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Acid Mitch wrote:
ummagumma wrote: 2. add a switch to disable each OSC 1,2,3 PWM/WAVE shaping ( right now it's a global control that affects all 3 OSC )
It’s possible to add a switch that disables pwm for osc 3.
thx, good to know!

is that based on the OSC1 pwm disable concept, in Don Solaris' docs?

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Markyboard wrote:
ummagumma wrote:

There is one device I konw you already have that takes in CV and transmits midi; the Voyager! Send a CV into Mod 1 or Mod 2 and it transmits midi out. I realize this defeats the purpose since you already stated you don't want to give up a mod bus. But there are lot's of other boards with CV >> midi out capability although we think of them strictly as expression pedal inputs. So you may already have something available. For a dedicated device maybe Kenton has something?
ha! right....although I would prefer to keep the Voyager's MIDI open for sequencing duties etc, and maximize CV connectivity with the rest of my modular
Last edited by ummagumma on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:03 pm

ah, this whole PWM disable/CV control looks more complicated than I thought:

I just had another look at Don's PDF, and it is not a global PWM disable for OSC1: he is only interrupting the PWM on either MOD1 or MOD2 bus

Since my goal is to use other modular gear with the Voyager, it makes sense to interrupt at the WAVE IN jack

I suppose you could wire the switch to disconnect all 3: MOD1, MOD2, and WAV IN jack

that would leave the waveform pot on the front panel still functional, for your waveshape variation of the OSC

indeed, maybe it's easiest to leave the MOD1 & MOD2 busses alone? But it would be slick to have the toggle apply to all of the 3

And then how would you also insert a CV signal, to modulate the PWM? could that resistor R445/R446 be fed/replaced with a variable source?

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:12 am

Are you aware you can use the pot mapping(s) to get independent wave modulation (pwm sort of) for each oscillator?

See here: viewtopic.php?p=43356#p43356

I just tried it - works great. You do have to use one of the mod buses but since you're not using them for the spacing control maybe you can use one of them for this :lol: .

If you're still determined to modify the hardware then it sounds like you'll want to switch out the Wave In Jack as opposed to either one of the bus inputs since independent CV control is your main concern. Should be just as easy and you could add 3 switches ( or multi pole switch) for complete independent CV waveform control of each oscillator. I would recommend grounding the NO contact of the switch so as not to introduce noise into that input of the Op-Amp. Not sure why Don didn't do that.

Edit: Sorry Uma - just re-read your last post and repeated much of the same idea you stated. It sounds like we're on the same page

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:28 pm

thx for that link!! very good to know: I wasn't aware

-->since I have gotten into modular, CV control definitely appeals to me more than menu diving + MIDI

plus, ease of interconnectivity with other CV gear

although I will definitely save some Voyager patches with that stuff, now that I know about it!!

cheers

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:42 am

ummagumma wrote: is that based on the OSC1 pwm disable concept, in Don Solaris' docs?
I don’t think so. Tony Allgood from Oakley sound did a number of mods to his Voyager long before the VOS was released.

till

Post by till » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 am

ummagumma wrote:...
5. build an authentic CP3 mixer circuit, on it's own board. figure out how to interrupt the signal between the digital board ( which handles the pot information ) and the stock mixer circuit...
If you use the authentic CP3 circuit, it would not be controllable via existing knobs or by the patch memory. You you would need a brake-out box and use a CP3 mixer external and feed it back to the Voyager via the external audio input.

And remember: part of the CP3 magic is caused by the amplitude of the ingoing Moog 901 oscillators. If you use 921 oscillators, a CP3 changes the sound in a different way.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:14 pm

Acid Mitch wrote:
ummagumma wrote: is that based on the OSC1 pwm disable concept, in Don Solaris' docs?
I don’t think so. Tony Allgood from Oakley sound did a number of mods to his Voyager long before the VOS was released.
wow, that is interesting! I wonder if he shared any of the tech info. there isn't a lot out there on Voyager mods

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 pm

till wrote:
ummagumma wrote:...
5. build an authentic CP3 mixer circuit, on it's own board. figure out how to interrupt the signal between the digital board ( which handles the pot information ) and the stock mixer circuit...
If you use the authentic CP3 circuit, it would not be controllable via existing knobs or by the patch memory. You you would need a brake-out box and use a CP3 mixer external and feed it back to the Voyager via the external audio input.

And remember: part of the CP3 magic is caused by the amplitude of the ingoing Moog 901 oscillators. If you use 921 oscillators, a CP3 changes the sound in a different way.
Yes, the real problem is no schematics or knowledge of how the Voyager works internally. I am just trying to imagine how to make a vintage style mixer switchable with the stock one, and guessing at how the digital pots feed the analog ( I assume? ) mixer

I have been exerimenting with FX/external distortion/mixers/drive, but have not found anything I like in the Voyager mix/out loop.