Post your latest purchase!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
GregAE

Re: Post your latest purchase!!

Post by GregAE » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:12 am

MC wrote: The rev 1 and rev 2 Prophet-5 used the SSM2040 not the SSM 2044. After Sequential made the switch to CEM with the rev 3 P5, they never used any SSM ICs after that model.
Thanks for the additional details MC. Was aware of that design change, and always heard that the early Prophets sounded better because of the SSM chips (never owned a P5).
MC wrote:The SSM2044 is a good sounding VCF IC. Better than any CEM VCF IC (with the exception of the CEM3320 configured as 12dB mode in OBSX, OBXa, OB8).
I'd have to agree. Had a Prophet 08 with CEM filters and I just never got along with the sound of it (sold it and got a Prophet 6).
MC wrote:Moog's bread-n-butter is their ladder filter. They never needed any steenkin' SSM or CEM VCFs.
:lol: Yep!

red

Post by red » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:01 pm

art of distortion

::red

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:38 pm

That's beautiful!! What is it?
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

red

Post by red » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:40 am

it's a...

... and it sounds incredible powerful and unique !

Link: Retro Mechanical Labs
::red

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:34 pm

The Grandmother has landed. :D :D :D

Pre-ordered it at Thomann, Germany, on the US release date. Estimated waiting time 8-9 weeks. Came on time as promised. :D

I hope for hours and hours of fun with this. Right now it is resting after the long journey.

KN

PS: There must be high demand for it; Thomann already lists estimated waiting times of 8-9 weeks for new orders. So Moog is busy.
Attachments
GrandMotherShip
GrandMotherShip
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 am

And another MGM has just landed! This one (SN 1381) now resides in Columbia, Maryland, USA:
Greg_MGM.jpg

MC

Post by MC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Played one of those MGMs at a Guitar Center. Good sounding synth.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:16 pm

MC wrote:Played one of those MGMs at a Guitar Center. Good sounding synth.
Indeed! Purchased from Musicians Friend - not carried in any CG store near me. :?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:08 am

greetings synth fools! it's been a while! I sold my Voyager several years ago and haven't had any Moog gear since then. however, as of a few days ago, I once again have a reason to post on this forum:
Attachments
IMG_20190610_213147_044.jpg
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Welcome back mate :)

How does that guy sound?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:04 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Welcome back mate :)

How does that guy sound?
Thanks, stiiiiiive! It sounds magnificent. For some reason I always dismissed the Micro as being too basic for my needs, just because it is a single-oscillator mono synth. I never realized just how beefy it could sound with just the one oscillator! It's great having the sub oscillator with a continually variable control from -1 octave to 0 to -2 octaves. also, the continually variable oscillator waveshape knob is excellent, and modulating that can produce delicious PWM and other, much stranger sounds. The filter FM is bloody brilliant, and can produce some of the most musical synth-farts I have ever heard!

I'm also surprised at the build quality. I don't know why, but seeing pictures of it always made me think it would be poorly constructed of thin plastics and particle boards, but it actually feels quite solid and chunky, and the end cheeks are real wood after all. I'm also pleasantly surprised at how good the keybed feels. It's really smooth to play, and the keys even give you those nice little clicks that I love so much in the DX7 keybed (which in my mind is the best-feeling keybed ever).

I'll post some sounds soon enough!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:19 am

Congrats then :)

I've just listened to some MicroMoog demos and it sounds good indeed. Looking forward hearing yours!
You used to have a LP, am I right?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:21 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Congrats then :)

I've just listened to some MicroMoog demos and it sounds good indeed. Looking forward hearing yours!
You used to have a LP, am I right?
correct! I had one of the "stage 2" units from 2008 - 2012, which I sold to fund a Voyager. In 2014, I sold the Voyager and bought a DSI Pro-2. That was a truly remarkable synth, but it was so drastically different from the Moog that it put me off badly and I began a long journey of buying and selling synths (I have owned over fifty since then). I've still got a couple of those, but I'm not a collector so mostly I would buy something, learn its secrets, make some music with it, and then pass it along if I could not make a lasting connection with it. I actually ended up making a spreadsheet of every single model I owned or borrowed, rating each one on several different criteria to determine which was the "best" (or just my favorite).

of the models I actually owned, one of my absolute favorites was surprisingly the Yamaha AN1x. I didn't think much of it before finding a good deal on one, but once I switched it on I was dumbfounded by the gorgeous, lush sound of the forgotten 90s virtual analog synth. It stands out from the others of the era because it is capable of doing audio-rate modulation without glitching out the way a JP-8000 or Nord Lead might do. The LFO will smoothly go right up into hyperdrive, and you even have four different algorithms for doing linear FM similar to the DX range. I regrettably sold that one, and regret that choice whenever I happen to think of it.

I do still have the DX7 I bought during this time, and I'm glad I do, because I ended up discovering that FM is a powerful and rich method of creating some truly otherworldly sounds that I'd never heard in my days as an analog purist. I've learned a lot about the theory behind FM, and even taught a class on programming the DX7 earlier this year (almost 30 people showed up!). I love the detailed, gritty sound of Yamaha's DX range. It's both futuristic and retro at the same time.

anyway, having a Moog in the house again feels like a homecoming. the beauty of digital technology is no longer lost on me, and I will continue to explore the world of FM soundscapes with my DX7, but there is just something about the Moog sound that is so vital and whole. nothing else can sound like that, and it took me four years to realize it. I'll post sounds as soon as I've recorded some!

dave500

Post by dave500 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:21 am

Image Love it :D
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:42 pm

cool beans!!

always interesting to hear about other ppl's synth explorations

and that is a great pic!!