Getting Voyager OS to work with Kenton Pro Solo

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
luke_aziz

Getting Voyager OS to work with Kenton Pro Solo

Post by luke_aziz » Thu May 02, 2019 5:36 am

Hey everyone, got what I hope is a simple problem but I don’t know where to begin really so here it is: I recently purchased a Voyager Old a School for a ridiculously low price, but I’d like to sequence from my DAW. I get it’s backwards to its ethos, but here we are anyway!

So after google-rabbit holing for a while I seemed to have to options: find an MP201 or use a Kenton. I looked at finding the mp201 but prices second hand are crazy, nearly as much as I paid for the mini moog, so went for a Kenton Pro Solo MK3.

So far I have hooked up my midi keyboard to the Kenton and appear to get signal to it, but that’s as far as I’ve got. I’ve got a 3.5mm TRS to 6mm TRS from the Kenton’s CV output into the Voyagers red Gate input*.

*Is that even right?

So far I’ve RTFM on both the Voyager OS and Kenton but it’s not making any sense to me, and can’t find much else to guide me online. Anyone care to walk me through it please? Im very much a studio guy, but this is my first foray into analog synths so apologies for most likely not understanding something very simple in this instance.

stiiiiiiive

Re: Getting Voyager OS to work with Kenton Pro Solo

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu May 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi luke-aziz, welcome to the forum.

There is no red gate input. Gate inputs are all blue, as far as I know.
What you have to do is control both the pitch of the Voyager through the red pitch input (which is not execting a gate signal but a continuous control voltage signal) and the envelope triggering through the envelope gate (blue) input.

Not sure how the Kenton is made, but you should find at least two outputs on it: one CV and one gate. They are the ones to use.

Hope this helps :)

luke_aziz

Re: Getting Voyager OS to work with Kenton Pro Solo

Post by luke_aziz » Sat May 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks Stiiiiiiive, got the second cable and wired up as suggested and It’s working; knew it was something super simple but when you don’t know wood from tree’s it’s hard to get perspective :lol: