Voyager LCD Screen Glitches

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
my_oh

Voyager LCD Screen Glitches

Post by my_oh » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Hey guys,

Have been having a problem with my Voyager Performer - couldn't find any related issues on here so am asking you guys.

Problem involves only the detented knobs on left side of panel (OCTAVE, DESTINATION, SOURCE, SHAPING) when I turn these knobs the setting doesn't always fully settle and sort of jumps back and forth between settings. This also gets reflected in the LCD screen where I can see the setting sort of flickering/jumping between settings. If i'm really fine with the knob setting I can get it to settle fairly easily.
I've recorded a video to demonstrate but it's pretty big! can attach if that would help make things clearer.

I have some electronics experience (have built a few synths and Yocto 808 drum machine) and am handy with a soldering iron so I opened up the back and re-seated the 16pin data cables on the board which houses all the knobs. It seems to have helped with the LFO SYNC & MOD WHEEL DESINTATION knobs but still OCTAVE knobs are pretty unstable!

Any suggestions on where I could start in trying to fix this problem?

Cheers,
Grant

RL

Re: Voyager LCD Screen Glitches

Post by RL » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:51 am

does it happend from one day to the other?
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:53 am

Unplug it, wait a few minutes, and open the back and check the input jack board connections, the red one in particular. I had this problem, and Andy from Moog helped me troubleshoot it. Good luck.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

my_oh

Post by my_oh » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:39 am

RL wrote:does it happend from one day to the other?
Hey RL, thanks for the reply. Yeah, it happens every time I turn it on. :(

Cheers
Grant

my_oh

Post by my_oh » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:41 am

Thanks Ledbetter,
Will give it a crack and see how it goes!
Will keep you posted.
Cheers
Grant

my_oh

Post by my_oh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:01 am

Ledbetter wrote:Unplug it, wait a few minutes, and open the back and check the input jack board connections, the red one in particular. I had this problem, and Andy from Moog helped me troubleshoot it. Good luck.
Hey Ledbetter,

I disconnected & reconnected every connection i could find inside the Voyger to no avail. I'm a bit confused what you say 'input jack board' by this do you mean the board on the top that houses all the Control Inputs, S&H, ENV, LFO aw well as Audio IN/Out? There are two ribbon cables coming off this, one large (30+ wires) and smaller (10 wires). I unplugged and reconnected them but nothing changed....

Thoughts?

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:48 pm

I have a Voyager Select, but I can’t imagine there’s a difference. With the back open, a red connector with two small wires is visible. It connects to the small audio out jack board. Reconnecting this firmly solved my problem. But I had audio issues as well. Good luck, and contact Moog if nothing helps.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.