Can a program change message also cut the current note?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
eltico

Can a program change message also cut the current note?

Post by eltico » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 am

Let me explain. I have a custom set of organ style bass pedals that I used to use with an old Bass Station rack. I am currently trying to transition over to a Minitaur. I am happy with the way it sounds, but have one bit of functionality I'm still trying to figure out.

The controller I have has a hold button that I like to use, as it allows me to move up and down the 2 octaves easier. Yes, 2 octaves! With the controller and the Bass Station rack I could stop the held note in 2 ways: pressing the hold button again or by pressing one of the program change buttons. So, there are instances where being able to stop a note and change the patch at the same time, by just pressing the program change button, is very useful. With the Minitaur right now, I basically have to press the hold button to stop the note, press the desired program change button, and then press the hold button again before I can have a held note on a different patch. 3 button presses as opposed to 1.

TLDR: On the Minitaur, is there a way to make it so a program change message sent from a controller, also stops the current note being played?

psionic11

Re: Can a program change message also cut the current note?

Post by psionic11 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:13 am

If your controller can also send MIDI CCs along with its PC command, one of these might be helpful:

MIDI CC 120 All Sound Off
Mutes all sounding notes. It does so regardless of release time or sustain. (See MIDI CC 123)

MIDI CC 121 Reset All Controllers
It will reset all controllers to their default.

MIDI CC 123 All Notes Off
Mutes all sounding notes. Release time will still be maintained, and notes held by sustain will not turn off until sustain pedal is depressed.

MC

Re: Can a program change message also cut the current note?

Post by MC » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Another way is to send the CC for release=0, then the program change.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi