Subsequent 37 Static/popping sound

Everything Sub.
aodonnell311

Subsequent 37 Static/popping sound

Post by aodonnell311 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:30 am

Hello,

I have google searched as much as I could before getting frustrated, so if this is a repeat topic, I apologize...

I bought my first Moog (Subsequent 37) and first analog synth just a few days ago. Using headphones, everything sounded fine (I think). But a few days later, I now hear some static through the headphones (and also through an external guitar amp). This static/white noise can be heard between notes while using the arp.

even with the synth switched off, I could hear pulsating static through the headphones. There is also a great deal of clicking/pops on note attacks and realease with or without using the arp. I've tried the obvious solution of increasing attack and delay on the volume envelope, but I really have to crank them clockwise in order to get that annoying clicking to stop. The problem is especially pronounced when I close the filter. I don't think I should have to increase attack and delay this much in order to avoid those pops. Presets sound okay in terms of pops for the most part but I still hear the white noise...

I just bought this Moog and was so excited, now I'm terrified something could be wrong with it... plz say it ain't so..... :( :( :( Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers,

Andy

till

Re: Subsequent 37 Static/popping sound

Post by till » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:54 am

A very fast change of volume causes a plop. And this does not only happen on note-ons, but also on note-ends. So you should check the release of the envelopes. And as a drastic filtering changes the volume too, you have to set the attack, decay and release of the filter envelopes just a bit above zero.
The arpeggiator is producono not a 100% long gate time. So there is a pause between notes. If the release is set to zero, the volume will suddenly drop nearly instantly. And this may cause a click, if it happens within a short time (one cycle or less) of the signal effected. So this is more likely to be noticed on bass notes. Some for attacks.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

aodonnell311

Re: Subsequent 37 Static/popping sound

Post by aodonnell311 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:55 am

Thanks a lot for your reply, I appreciate it!

Well, I usually work with the envelope filter turned off, (the EG I believe it is)

so I think there shouldn't be any modulation of the filter. But if I have the filter knob turned to about 10 o'clock, (so more than halfway closed), I get clicking, even if I turn the volume attack and release up for each note. So I have to adjust the attack and release more than just a "slight" amount... I have to turn them up around halfway in order to get rid of the clicking in many circumstances.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks again for reading. Take care!

-Andrew