DFAM and Korg SQ1

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
stewthom

DFAM and Korg SQ1

Post by stewthom » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:16 am

I've heard that one way to get non-4/4 time signatures out of a DFAM is to hook up a device such as a Korg SQ 1 sequencer. Regarding the SQ 1 specifically, does anyone have any experience using these two instruments together? Can you actually get, say, a 3/4 or 5/4 beat out of DFAM using the Korg product? Any feedback appreciated.

KrisL

Re: DFAM and Korg SQ1

Post by KrisL » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Yes, it works fine through the SQ1.

However, the sequencer pattern will be slaved through the 8-beat pattern, irrespective of time signature i.e. if you have a 5/8 pattern, it will be played through the accent groupings you have programmed on the DFAM. Which can, in itself, create some interesting effects.

The 5-step pattern will be repeated, but step 1 of bar 2 will fall on beat 6 of the DFAM, bar 3 will fall on beat 3, bar 4 on beat 8 etc i.e. the entire sequence will repeat itself a x b (think mod 8 for where the accents etc will fall), with a being the sequencer time signature, and b being the DFAM beat pattern (i.e. 40 beats in this example).

You can also get non - 4/4 by patching tempo to pitch. At highest frequency setting, the DFAM will essentially 'skip' that step.

I'm posting a few vids at present of the DFAM in various uses, you may find them useful (I'm doing one soon illustrating what you mention above). Here's a link to one from where you'll be able to find some other bits & bobs I've created on the DFAM - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAbVXWJWesY

All best

stewthom

Post by stewthom » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful. Link bookmarked.

Drümünkey

Post by Drümünkey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:40 pm

stewthom wrote:I've heard that one way to get non-4/4 time signatures out of a DFAM is to hook up a device such as a Korg SQ 1 sequencer. Regarding the SQ 1 specifically, does anyone have any experience using these two instruments together? Can you actually get, say, a 3/4 or 5/4 beat out of DFAM using the Korg product? Any feedback appreciated.
For fun, with SQ1 in parallel mode, patch GateA to DFAM Trigger In and GateB to DFAM Advance/Clock

Then use Active Steps on SQ1...

The sequencer knobs on the DFAM kind of act like Elektron PLocks for sound, GateA plays the rhythm you want, GateB advances through DFAM's sequencer for sound variations.

redlester

Post by redlester » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:31 am

Just to clarify... is there a way the SQ1 can be used to "trick" the DFAM into playing sequences shorter than 8 steps, i.e. playing say step 1 - 5 then restarting at step 1?

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:14 am

redlester wrote:Just to clarify... is there a way the SQ1 can be used to "trick" the DFAM into playing sequences shorter than 8 steps, i.e. playing say step 1 - 5 then restarting at step 1?
You don’t have to trick the dfam. You can bypass it’s internal sequencer and sequence it from any other sequencer that sends cv/ gate. That way sequences can be as long or short as you like.

redlester

Post by redlester » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 am

Acid Mitch wrote: You don’t have to trick the dfam. You can bypass it’s internal sequencer and sequence it from any other sequencer that sends cv/ gate. That way sequences can be as long or short as you like.
Excellent! I actually already have a Korg Volca Keys so assume I could do it with that? Only just got my DFAM on Monday so am still learning all about it.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:47 am

If the Volca sends cv and gate then the answer is yes.

redlester

Post by redlester » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:48 am

Acid Mitch wrote:If the Volca sends cv and gate then the answer is yes.
Just checked and no, it's just a pulse output. So SQ1 it probably is then.