Minitaur visual quality

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Hillbillypolack

Minitaur visual quality

Post by Hillbillypolack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:23 am

I just received a Minitaur last week, and was extremely excited to start in making noises with my Mother 32. I unboxed the Minitaur and was pretty disappointed with the visuals. The smooth black finish and white graphics which had a jagged edge to the lines. The bull even had blobby paint in the graphic. I’d done better shop projects in high school.

To be fair, I’ve done printing and screening so my Spidey sense was looking at these details. But sitting next to my M32,and MoogerFoogers it looked cheap. A textured finish and proper pad print graphics would go a long way . . .

$500 USD isn’t inexpensive, and of course loads of other options for less money. I’m a big Moog nerd but this bothers me. Anyone else concerned by it? I’m hoping the Sirin looks better.

Click the pics for a better idea.
Attachments
F85E0966-1287-4213-A90D-B33C828F00E7.jpeg
9A3328EE-0B3B-4CDF-972C-6702C772CFCF.jpeg
6C416069-FA83-44CC-B568-4D9929702069.jpeg

Hillbillypolack

Re: Minitaur visual quality

Post by Hillbillypolack » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Moog is saying that all forthcoming Minitaurs will have this degree of jagged graphics. Ones I'd seen from the earlier batches did not have this appearance.

Hillbillypolack

Post by Hillbillypolack » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:02 am

No comments? 90+ views, surely there might be a few thoughts on the visuals.

I'd completely agree that the aesthetics wouldn't affect sound, but other Moog items I've seen (Mother 32, DFAM, GM) don't look like the pics above. Does the Sirin have similar jagged graphics, or is this the exception to the rule? Just looking for general input.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:15 pm

No comments maybe because no one else sees the visual defects you're talking about? Your Minitaur looks no worse than mine.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Hillbillypolack

Post by Hillbillypolack » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:31 pm

MC wrote:No comments maybe because no one else sees the visual defects you're talking about? Your Minitaur looks no worse than mine.
That's a very cool avatar.

Click on the pics. They show the zig-zag line quality. I agree, they might not bother everyone, though I'd seen smooth graphics on earlier Minitaurs so I thought I'd table the question.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:25 pm

Don't have any Minitaur but -having sommed in- that feels weird indeed.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Hillbillypolack wrote:That's a very cool avatar.
Thanks
Click on the pics. They show the zig-zag line quality. I agree, they might not bother everyone, though I'd seen smooth graphics on earlier Minitaurs so I thought I'd table the question.
OK now I see it

Maybe your panel is defective, but I don't know anywhere on this forum where you can report warranty problems. Maybe you should try https://www.moogmusic.com/
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Hillbillypolack

Post by Hillbillypolack » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:57 pm

MC wrote: OK now I see it

Maybe your panel is defective, but I don't know anywhere on this forum where you can report warranty problems. Maybe you should try https://www.moogmusic.com/
I contacted Moog the day after I unboxed it and noticed the graphics. I registered the Minitaur and after contacting Moog customer service, asked for an RMA. They are indicating all Minitaurs have that zig-zag and that a graphics change was likely done at some point. Speaking with Adam in Tech Support, he implied that for the forseeable future, what you see here is what you are going to get, even if Moog did accommodate an exchange or replace the panel.

Since the faceplate is the visual identity of a product like this, I asked if this was acceptable and if other products were seeing similar changes (like the Sirin, 500 series or the full modular). I also asked politely to contact someone in quality control or R&D to see if or when any updates might take place. For the moment, it appears all Minitaurs will look like the pics above.

So, I thought I'd post this here to get thoughts on the situation. It doesn't seem Moog is willing to consider how to resolve the concern.

elcubismo

Post by elcubismo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:59 pm

I don't see any jagged zig-zag lines on my Sirin.

If it really bothers you that much, you could always go to like StyleFlip and make a custom vinyl cover for your Minitaur. Though if you're a picky one then I'm sure you'll find something wrong there too :lol:
Attachments
Something I made on styleflip just for fun
Something I made on styleflip just for fun

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:12 pm

huh, if I look REALLY closely at mine, I can see a hint of similarity to those lines. but not as exaggerated

it almost looks like a braided rope texture: must be related to how they paint it

I'm not losing any sleep over it though