New Minitaur form-factor synth

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ClintAu

New Minitaur form-factor synth

Post by ClintAu » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:28 am

While the Mother-32 is fine and well, I would really appreciate something in the Minitaur form factor but not bass specific. I.e, the Slim or Sub Phatty engine but in a highly-compact desktop format. A bit knobby and with a really good VST editor for finer control.

Of course it would be a comprise in terms of the amount of physical controls, but for those people there is the Mother32, Sub37, D, Voyager and so on. I've had a Voyager in the past and appreciate a lot of controls, but sold it mostly because of its size.

Anyone else on board?
Moogerfoogers, Minitaur, Win10. Previously: Slim Phatty, Voyager

ClintAu

Re: New Minitaur form-factor synth

Post by ClintAu » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:49 pm

moognase

Post by moognase » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:07 pm

It is a bit sad though that the Sirin has been announced as a Limited Edition thing. :|

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:29 pm

One thing I am not sure about is whether the low range stays the same as the Minitaur's. Could not find this information in the manual...

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:38 pm

hai ,i ask this and moog answer that the low deep ranges are the same ike in the minitaur.

elcubismo

Post by elcubismo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:47 pm

From what I've read, the Minitaur goes down to 10 Hz while the Sirin "only" goes down to 20 Hz. You'd figure that the differences are subsonic, but I'm thinking that the subsonic overtones can move into the audible range and the harmonics influence the sound a tiny bit.

I found a video on YouTube that compares the raw oscillators directly. For the most part they sound the same, but the raw square waves do sound a bit different! Apparently though, once you start building patches and mixing oscillators the sounds are virtually indistinguishable. I have a Sirin, but I'm considering still getting a Minitaur so it can be dedicated to bass.

ClintAu

Post by ClintAu » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:29 pm

Still though, a little more ambition would have been nice. A desktop, scaled down version of the Sub37 for example. The integration of analog and digital VST control is great with both the Sub37 and Minitaur. It's a clear differentiator from the flood of cheap analog monos with limited or no digital control.