1/4 inch TRS to CV cable confusion

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
m911

1/4 inch TRS to CV cable confusion

Post by m911 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 pm

I just bought a Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal for use on my Novation Peak, I already have both my Peaks pedal inputs in use so I bought the pedal to take advantage of its CV input (which operates in the range of +/- 5v) I thought it would be a simple connection at first but after reading all I could to make sure I get it right, I'm a bit confused.

So my first post here is a question (sorry) but how do I cable this properly?

m911

Re: 1/4 inch TRS to CV cable confusion

Post by m911 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:25 pm

<crickets>

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:11 am

Hello m911, welcome to the forum.

What is your question exactly? What is that you want to do?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 am

m911 wrote:I just bought a Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal for use on my Novation Peak, I already have both my Peak's pedal inputs in use so I bought the pedal to take advantage of its CV input (which operates in the range of +/- 5v) I thought it would be a simple connection at first but after reading all I could to make sure I get it right, I'm a bit confused.
Hi m911,

The confusion comes from not understanding the difference between a Pedal input (Footswitch or Expression) and a CV (Control Voltage) input.

A Pedal input supplies +5v DC of electricity to a switch or potentiometer. The switch's or potentiometer's current position then determines how much or how little of that original voltage gets back to the synthesizer.

A CV input is expecting your external device to supply whatever voltage you want to make the destination go to whatever value you want.

Since neither a Sustain pedal or Expression pedal has a built-in power supply, they will not be able to send a control voltage to the Peak's CV input.

Hope this helps,
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

m911

Post by m911 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:15 am

Hey guys, I'm really late to getting back here but thank you both.

I've had a busy year with synths, I could answer my own question now if I could :oops: I've since bought a few semi-modulars and I've been schooling myself like there's no tomorrow.