Any Other Source Lovers?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Daveburton

Any Other Source Lovers?

Post by Daveburton » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:39 am

I've had a chance to play almost every type of vintage moog and for some reason I couldn't live without The Source's McDonald's milkshake paneling and fat ass control wheel. Mini and liberation aside, the Source is one of my favorites. Anyone else agree?

MC

Re: Any Other Source Lovers?

Post by MC » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Happy owner since 1985. Underrated for years because it didn't have a panel full of knobs, now it is getting some respect. I have T1 and vintage Minimoog, and the Source can hold its own against them.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:35 pm

It's a well known fact that the Moog The Source is one of the best as far as the Moog sound is concerned. Very close to a Minimoog for fat and creamy basses.
It's so good that a guy in France, who started a small company called Baloran, cloned the PCB of his Moog Source and designed and created an 8 voice polyphonic synth with it. It's built by hand, one at a time, and it's called The River:
https://greatsynthesizers.com/en/genera ... ega-synth/
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:57 am

The River really sounds wonderful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ErAR8WuwVQ

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:46 pm

BTW, The River is how I was expecting the Moog One to sound. But unfortunately it's not. And I can't, for the life of me, understand why not ? Are Moog Music engineers all deaf or what ? The Voyager doesn't sound anything like a Minimoog D, nor a Moog The Source. And the Moog One seems to be derived from the Voyager because it sounds very close to it.
But that's another story...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:00 pm

I was lucky enough to finally locate and purchase a Source at a great price about a year ago. Since that time I have come to fully enjoy its rich warm sound, 4 stage envelopes, quality weighted control wheel and light even keyboard action. Its simply amazing!
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

Yves Malone

Post by Yves Malone » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Yep. I bought mine broken a couple years before replacement membranes were available, hoping such a thing would happen.
I'll never sell it. The only thing I regret Moog didn't do is add an extra sub osc but whatever, it's still a thing of genius.
Someday I'll get a midi mod for it and it will be perfect.