Unstable Oscillators

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Visiblesound

Unstable Oscillators

Post by Visiblesound » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 am

Hi everyone. I've got a 16v Moog One. I'm experiencing issues with the oscillators not being tuned well. So much so that I can't really program anything that sounds tight or tuned. If I just pull up a single oscillator and cycle through the voices I can hear shifts in the timbre and tuning as the voices cycle. I just spoke with Moog and they said this is a known issue that they are hoping to fix in an upcoming firmware update. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Would love to hear from you with your thoughts and experience.

soundsubs

Re: Unstable Oscillators

Post by soundsubs » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 am

Yup, me too.

From INIT patch, if I program a simple 16 note sequence, most of the notes are different, especially when using Square waves with non-50% pulse. Weird.
Amp and filter res are also non-same.

Glad to hear its being addressed. I thought it was just me.

Synthient Sound

Post by Synthient Sound » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:46 pm

I submitted a video to them as well a while back. I'm really looking forward to the next update...hope it is soon.

psionic11

Post by psionic11 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:09 pm

I just emailed Moog asking for an update on this issue as well. My issue mostly occurs on the lowest octave, but it is really frustrating.

Visiblesound

Post by Visiblesound » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:54 am

I still haven't heard anything more from Moog about this. I really hope it can be fixed in software. If not, then this is a deal killer on this synth. It makes it unusable when it gets bad. Mine is also much worse in the lower octaves.

psionic11

Post by psionic11 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:56 pm

They are aware of the intonation issue. From a chat with Jared from support on Dec 28:

(04:43:49 PM) Andrew Shaw: I just read on your Moog forum, which I don't frequent that often, that you guys are indeed aware of the intonation problems. Will the next update address this?
(04:44:07 PM) Jared: The problem you mentioned has been added to our bug report and is a high priority for the next firmware update. Does the intonation tighten over time or correct itself after a power cycle?
(04:44:25 PM) Andrew Shaw: Neither
(04:45:01 PM) Jared: That's a first, I'll be sure to add that to the notes on the report
(04:45:04 PM) Andrew Shaw: It's esp bad sometimes on a cold day bootup for the first few minutes, but generally it's like every 5th voice, but stays out of tune even if left on overnight

(04:46:32 PM) Andrew Shaw: Ok thx, do you have a ballpark estimate when the next update is due out?
(04:47:07 PM) Jared: I don't at the moment, I can tell you that it's in progress though.

MWK

Post by MWK » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 am

I'm in the same boat. I also noticed that the clock is not consistent sometimes. But I still need to investigate that one a little more before I official report this bug.