Grandmother MIDI functioning

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Ted H

Grandmother MIDI functioning

Post by Ted H » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Has anyone tried using the Grandmother's MIDI functions, particularly to record a sequence, arp, or personal performance? More importantly will the Grandmother take a MIDI INput of a sequence recording? I would really like some way to store a sequence, etc. for using later.
Also how well does the MIDI Clock control work with an incoming clock? I need some way to sync clocks with a MIDI workstation.

swannod

Re: Grandmother MIDI functioning

Post by swannod » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:29 pm

The Grandmother has a sequencer but it can only hold 3 sequences. If you need more memory than that you'll have to store your sequences elsewhere. The MIDI clock works well, I use the Grandmother as an External Instrument in MainStage and send MIDI clock. One problem is that Grandmother has serious issues when using MIDI Local Off (MIDI In stops working). I reported this issue to Moog a couple of weeks ago, but so far no word on a fix - my assumption is that it would be resolved in some future firmware update. If you were planning on using the Grandmother as an External Instrument for Logic/MainStage/Ableton, I would wait until this issue is fixed.

Telharmonia

Post by Telharmonia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi Swannod and Ted,

I just "purchased my Grandmother" last week (that just sounds sooo wrong) and LOVE it.. or rather, her..

However, I also ran into midi issues using Local OFF. Tech support did their best to help, but I was able to confirm several issues with my synth - it does not receive midi note information *properly*, but only in cases when LOCAL control is OFF. All I get is single low droning notes, and so far this is true under ALL of the following conditions:

(1) one plays the Grandmother's internal sounds through it's own keyboard via midi ONLY (local off), as happens when recording through a DAW and looping the midi back into the synth (I'm on Logic Pro)

(2) One plays the Grandmother remotely - as if it were a module - via a midi master controller. (I tried this using *just one* 5-pin midi cable routed from the controller OUT to the Grandmother IN)

(3) One attempts to playback midi performances from the DAW to the synth while Grandmother's Local is OFF.

Swannod, have you tried loading the factory reset file(s)? Before I try it myself, I'm curious if that makes a difference..

Thank you!
Randy

swannod

Post by swannod » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Randy,

Sorry just now seeing this. I didn't try that (factory reset) but Moog support reproduced my issue exactly with a test unit, so I don't know if a factory reset is going to help much. They also mentioned it was the first time it had been reported (back in August), which I found surprising. But I see that it's becoming a recurring theme in this forum at least, so hopefully it gets resolved soon.

David

Axr

Post by Axr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Hey all !

Ok, i'm not alone with this i wasn't sure if it's a nromal behavior, as it's the first of my synths to mess wih local off..

I just have sent a few words to the support bout it, so i guess i will have to hope for a fix on some updates..

cheerz

Axr

Post by Axr » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Hey !

Ok i got an chat with Jared at Moog via email, he first suggested to use the patches to make the GM to respond to midi while local control is off to what i answered i was aware of the patching but it would take patches entries for a very basic thing. I then asked if it would be fixed in some update, and Jared answered he will make it sure to push it in the update request doc..

cheers..

Strelok_401

Post by Strelok_401 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:00 pm

THanks for your work! I'm considering buying the Grandmother, and you guys are bringing solid, useful feedback for it, and having an active and knowledgeable community is really a huge argument in favour of this project!

mingwingming

Post by mingwingming » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi Grandmother lovers and tweakers !

I just wanted to add I also have an issue with the Midi Local - it doesn't work how I would have imagined or certainly how my AN1X works - If I switch Local on the grandmother it goes silent as you would expect but when selecting the Grandmother Midi Channel in my DAW (Cubase 10 Pro) I get a drone sound from the grandmother same sound\Pitch on each note - if I patch the KB Out on the Grandmother to OSC 1 or Utilities\Mult and then the OSC 1 IN & OSC 2 IN i then get pitch tracking..

Is this something that is going to be fixed , or is this the norm - its my first moog.. apart from that man this thing is so loveable and sweet or dirty sounding - I am just about to get a DFAM and cannot wait to sync it up...
DFAM - GRANDMOTHER - Dreadbox NYX - Yamaha AN1X - MFB Tanzmaus - Maschine MK3 - Cubase Pro (tons of plugs)

mingwingming

Post by mingwingming » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 pm

Midi Local now working fine in 1.06 thanks Moog... :D
DFAM - GRANDMOTHER - Dreadbox NYX - Yamaha AN1X - MFB Tanzmaus - Maschine MK3 - Cubase Pro (tons of plugs)