Moog One FEATURE Requests

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
PhilAiken

Re: Moog One FEATURE Requests

Post by PhilAiken » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:32 pm

An EQ in the synth effects section.
Last edited by PhilAiken on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psionic11

Post by psionic11 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:01 pm

PhilAiken wrote:An EQ in the synth effects section.
Ideally with the frequencies modulatable by keypitch. This would allow shaping of a voice in a consistent manner up and down the keyboard.
I second this request. Having parameters within the EQ as modulation destinations would be awesome.

If that's asking too much, then just a basic 3 band semi-parametric EQ would be very useful, esp for live use.

High shelf, low shelf, and sweepable mid freq, Q, and gain.

It would most useful to have this always accessible and separate from the FX, such as in an extra menu in the VCA "More" section.

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:11 am

psionic11 wrote:
PhilAiken wrote:An EQ in the synth effects section.
Ideally with the frequencies modulatable by keypitch. This would allow shaping of a voice in a consistent manner up and down the keyboard.
I second this request. Having parameters within the EQ as modulation destinations would be awesome.

If that's asking too much, then just a basic 3 band semi-parametric EQ would be very useful, esp for live use.

High shelf, low shelf, and sweepable mid freq, Q, and gain.

It would most useful to have this always accessible and separate from the FX, such as in an extra menu in the VCA "More" section.
I guess if by modulatable by keypitch it couldn't really be a synth effect, for a polyphonic patch. When I thought of that I happened to have been playing a mono patch. But an EQ in general, yes.

Toom

Post by Toom » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:30 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
jmcecil wrote:Ok, you forced me to think it through and my conclusion is that you should NOT treat the knob as just a different "more" button...Obviously this conclusion may be one of those things that looks great on a drawing board (or in this case chasing squirrels around my skull).
Hi jmcecil,

I think about an Auto-MORE option every time I program One. But I keep getting stuck at the "what to do about messing up the initial parameter value" problem. And, like you, my squirrels keep going back and forth about it.

I think, in the end, I would still like to have Auto-MORE as a feature, but definitely NOT as the default behavior. Here's why:

On synths that don't have a screen readout, grabbing an unused knob ALWAYS wrecks the preset value, and I don't even think twice about it. So, until I'm ready to do uber-fine OCD types of program finessing, I think having the screen follow me around is far more convenient for those who grab knobs quickly and fearlessly.
I really like this idea! Wouldn't it be pretty easy to implement as an option?

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:07 am

Hello,
I have read a bit of the manual (my One hasn’t arrived yet) and tried to figure out how a stereo signal could be sent out via 2 inserts.
The stereo input back into the One via a pair of inserts is clear, but say, if I want to pan my voices in stereo before sending them in the stereo in of an outboard effect, how should I proceed?
Is there a way to assign only half (L or R) of the output to an insert out?
If not, I guess it would be a great evolution if feasible.
Now, I haven’t fully understood how the Pan works and at what stage it is applied.
Again, my use case would be the following:
-assign random voice Pan to my sound (eg: a brass chord) so that every time I strike a chord, the individual voices move at different stereo position
-export that L/R via 2 inserts to a stereo in/out outboard effect (eg Strymon Ola chorus, or else)
-import the effect stereo out in a pair of inserts

That’s it! :) Let ne know if this is feasible
Cheers

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 am

vwizz wrote:Hello,
I have read a bit of the manual (my One hasn’t arrived yet) and tried to figure out how a stereo signal could be sent out via 2 inserts.
The stereo input back into the One via a pair of inserts is clear, but say, if I want to pan my voices in stereo before sending them in the stereo in of an outboard effect, how should I proceed?
Is there a way to assign only half (L or R) of the output to an insert out?
If not, I guess it would be a great evolution if feasible.
Now, I haven’t fully understood how the Pan works and at what stage it is applied.
Again, my use case would be the following:
-assign random voice Pan to my sound (eg: a brass chord) so that every time I strike a chord, the individual voices move at different stereo position
-export that L/R via 2 inserts to a stereo in/out outboard effect (eg Strymon Ola chorus, or else)
-import the effect stereo out in a pair of inserts

That’s it! :) Let ne know if this is feasible
Cheers
The insert sends are mono and contain no panning information, and what you are describing cannot be done without possibly thinking out of the box. You would need to use a pair of sub outs from synth 1, already panned, into your stereo effect, INTO a stereo pair of inserts. These will go directly to the mains. You will need to shut off the output of synth 1 at the mains so that you only hear the inserts.
That should work. You would need to suss out the proper cabling in terms or Ring/Tip/Sleeve for the returns. Only a few possibilities, though!!!
It would seem much less cumbersome to simply run the synth out into a stereo effect and let it go on its merry way from there.

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 am

Regarding transforms in the modulation matrix. I would like to have the ability to put constraints not on the modulation amount, but on the modulation source. In other words, as an example, as opposed to putting boundaries on the amount of lfo applied to pitch from the mod wheel, I'd like to set boundaries on the wheel settings that even activate that modulation. So say, only a certain range of velocity affects a parameter, aftertouch under a certain amount is ignored, etc. The AMOUNT of modulation would then be scaled accordingly. So if aftertouch only kicks in at a value of 30, affecting filter cutoff, the amount of modulation to the filter at 30 would be 0, and scale up from there, as opposed to kicking in at a higher value.

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 pm

PhilAiken wrote:The insert sends are mono and contain no panning information, and what you are describing cannot be done without possibly thinking out of the box. You would need to use a pair of sub outs from synth 1, already panned, into your stereo effect, INTO a stereo pair of inserts. These will go directly to the mains. You will need to shut off the output of synth 1 at the mains so that you only hear the inserts.
That should work. You would need to suss out the proper cabling in terms or Ring/Tip/Sleeve for the returns. Only a few possibilities, though!!!
It would seem much less cumbersome to simply run the synth out into a stereo effect and let it go on its merry way from there.
Thanks again Phil!
The idea of using the inserts in stereo in/out was to enable treating the 3 synths with different effects.
Treating the main out is what I already do on “normal” synths....
I am just a bit disappointed that many people still think “mono in” on effects, while for me panning management is fundamental in a poly synth.
A nice wide and dynamic stereo image totally changes the perception of rich chords.
And having the possibility to modulate individual voices panning should not be lost when entering effects.
That goes way beyond the simple DSI Spread knob: I use a lot of S&H or LFOs on my current polys. Even on the DM12 I like moving voices around :)
Vintage effects were mostly Mono In (except my Mu-Tron Bi-phase) but modern high end ones are more and more stereo in: Strymon, Eventide... even Boss now (see their analog DC-2w chorus).
By the way, that was/is one of my frustrations with my Moogerfoogers ( I recently bought a second MF-103 to get more stereo...)
I ordered my One on day one but unfortunately, living in Europe means I might have to wait till February (?) to receive mine and see how it behaves vs my A6 which is the closest thing I have so far :)
Cheers!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:28 pm

PhilAiken wrote:Regarding transforms in the modulation matrix... So say, only a certain range of velocity affects a parameter, aftertouch under a certain amount is ignored, etc. The AMOUNT of modulation would then be scaled accordingly. So if aftertouch only kicks in at a value of 30, affecting filter cutoff, the amount of modulation to the filter at 30 would be 0, and scale up from there, as opposed to kicking in at a higher value.
Hi Phil,
In Kurzweil's VAST, that's DIODE (a-b), where a is the source and b is the amount before it starts tracking the source. Since it's a Diode function, it can never go negative, which is how you can get it to behave exactly the way you're requesting.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Okay I have a more esoteric long term request. Watching the JUCE presentation with the Moog engineers from 2017 it is clear that the product they couldn’t talk about was the One. During that talk they said that OSC was the protocol used to connect the various sub-systems together.

When Moog enables the Ethernet port on the One I would love to have them expose an OSC interface. OSC would have infinitely more flexibility than MIDI for interfacing the ONE to software environments like Max or SuperCollider.

I’m not suggesting they only support OSC instead of MIDI. They should be able to support both over Ethernet and would make the ONE an ideal physical control interface for these software environments.

For reference for those not familiar with OSC:

http://opensoundcontrol.org/introduction-osc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:35 am

Gomjab wrote:Okay I have a more esoteric long term request
Hi Gomjab,

I've been trying to find a way to contact you.

Please consider joining the Moog One Owners Group (M.O.O.G.) on Facebook.

It's specifically made for those who own a Moog One.

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:12 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Gomjab wrote:Okay I have a more esoteric long term request
Hi Gomjab,

I've been trying to find a way to contact you.

Please consider joining the Moog One Owners Group (M.O.O.G.) on Facebook.

It's specifically made for those who own a Moog One.
Thanks for the invite it is very tempting however I canceled my Facebook account over a decade ago due to their ever shifting privacy policy and some IMHO questionable tactics. I have been participating in the GS Moog One thread and hopefully anything pertinent on the FB page will make it here or on the GS forum.

kordos

Post by kordos » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Here are some feature requests after a few days of use:
  • Provide an ability to bypass both filters per-OSC
  • Provide a way to copy Synth 1's timbre to Synth 2
  • Visually depict SVF Spacing in the Filter MORE screen
  • Provide an option to show modulation/LFO impact on parameters in the various MORE screens - e.g. if I turn up Ladder LFO 2 AMT, animate the value of the Ladder cutoff ([both the visual depiction and the numerical Hz value) with the effective value post-modulation
  • Provide a way to revert the synth state to the last saved (e.g. the version you can audition via COMPARE) - currently I'm using performance sets as a workaround
p.s. +1 to refusing to use Facebook

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:38 am

kordos wrote:Here are some feature requests after a few days of use:
Provide a way to copy Synth 1's Timbre to Synth 2
A quick wave of the magic wand and...Done!

Save the Preset (with Synth 1 the way you like it).

Press the HOME button, then the BROWSE PRESETS soft button.
(Or, you can just press the HOME button twice.)

Press the SYNTH 2 button in the PANEL FOCUS section.
(This chooses which Synth the Timbre is copied to.)

Notice that there are now TIMBRE 1-> SYNTH 2, TIMBRE 2 -> SYNTH 2,
and TIMBRE 3->SYNTH 2 soft buttons.

IMPORTANT STEP: Make sure that the desired source preset is highlighted and selected by scrolling, and then pressing, the Big Knob. (In this case it's the title you just saved, but you can copy Synth Timbres from any preset to any other preset.)

Finally, press TIMBRE 1-> SYNTH 2 and you've copied exactly the way you are requesting.
(It's a lot easier/faster to do than to type about it;-)
kordos wrote:Provide a way to revert the synth state to the last saved (e.g. the version you can audition via COMPARE) - currently I'm using performance sets as a workaround
Dig into the manual (around pages 122 - 123) and learn about SNAPSHOTS and AUTOSAVE.

kordos

Post by kordos » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:25 am

_DemonDan_ wrote: Save the Preset (with Synth 1 the way you like it).
Yep - I'm familiar with using browse to pull a saved timbre into the active synth. Was thinking something that wouldn't require generating an extra preset / going out to the preset browser; e.g. hold SYNTH1 + SAVE -> screen displays "Select a destination synth for Synth 1's timbre" -> SYNTH2 -> done.
_DemonDan_ wrote:
kordos wrote:Provide a way to revert the synth state to the last saved (e.g. the version you can audition via COMPARE) - currently I'm using performance sets as a workaround
Dig into the manual (around pages 122 - 123) and learn about SNAPSHOTS and AUTOSAVE.
I've done this also - COMPARE provides the ability to audition the last saved state, but I could find no way to load (revert) to the saved state aside from menu diving into browse presets. Same with snapshots - I'm looking for one-touch revert-to-saved (which I can get with the performance set workaround).

Thanks for your reply!