New Moog Website Design

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Gomjab

Re: New Moog Website Design

Post by Gomjab » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:38 pm

ummagumma wrote:I agree 100%

effective, fast communication gets obfuscated by complicated crap, for the sake of complicated

ps I did not get an email....I feel left out. where are my donkey balls??
If you have specific suggestions I would use the “talk to us” link on the main page to give them your feedback. The problem is that with the One launch they probably have their hands tied cause all the new One content is in the new form. I’m hoping they start making incremental improvements and hopefully the next major redesign will be more practical than trying to be different.

vero

Post by vero » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:58 pm

Acid Mitch wrote:I read everyones comments above and thought “surely it can’t be that bad “, but after visiting the new website I agree it really is that bad.
Maybe they are giving us a subtle hint to use Facebook or something instead for anything Moog related.
Yeah, I'm a professional developer and the fact that the new design breaks a lot of links (to the point where if you click anywhere from the web to Moog Music's website, you get a 404 error) is a serious problem.

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:29 am

I don’t like to complain, thats not my way of living, but this is bad and like many others I gave my opinion and suggestions to Moog Multi Media Department when they asked. Sadly, when I looked today if it starded getting any better yet, that I hope and believe it will be, I found it even worse, its a mess - see attachement

Except that, it’s not clear if the pages are supposed to be read from left to right or from right to left - this attached part of a page seams to be supposed to be read from the button to the top, but the arrows are horizontally located - this portion of a page will be read in at least three differnt directions. I’m confused :?

I’m glad the Moog synthesizers are the opposite, as they are very easy to understand, intuitive, powerful and still great pieces of beautiful art. The site should reflect a such thing. To me Moog stands for highest possible quality of all of this and when I enter the Moog site I expect the spirit of some of that quality thinking of the site, especially as Moog isnt a small and struggling company any longer. But a site is digital, not analog, thats maybe why it’s a mess, whatelse could it be? :cry:
Attachments
What a mess
What a mess

red

Post by red » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:58 pm

General points:
- I know that there is a lot of work to release such a new website and the costs are high - so it's difficult to change the design completely.

- The time of release together with the MOOG ONE was not a good idea - the web design could be interpreted as a new approach to Moog products.

- It's all about usability and communication. A commercial website reflects the spirit of a company and their products. So, a customer requests for a fast and clear access to the desired products - in your case to Synthesizers, technical specifications, pictures, upgrades, manuals and musically use of the products (e.g. video demos).

- General feeling of the new website: postmodern site of an undertaker company - very sad and black.

- CI, Product design and web design represent not the same company. (Fonts, colors, "Moog-G" as an approach for choosing the font - or the same used as synth-panel font, gray tones instead of black).

Usability
- Vertical reading of titles are not comfortable. You have to turn your head for reading.
- The Font color is too dark on the black background - in general, it would be better to read black on white (or any light grey tone).
- Fade out (and in) at navigation is useless and needs time.
- Actual position: it's difficult to find out where you are, or where to go back to a page you visited.
- Scrolling (in any direction) should not more than two pages.
- The white bar has clickable and non-clickable headlines so it's not clear for navigation.
- Some content will not display after clicking - e.g. ALL NEWS / 2015... you have to scroll more (and more) to the right to see what you selected.
- Prices are not displayed
- Why two kind of navigation? One with menu the other one with pull-down (top-right).

Suggestion:
- Your website should be more fun and motivating to explore - it should be a pleasure to came back.
- Try to make it easier, only two screens of information in traditional scrolling.
- Try to use a logical tree as navigation, with themes and sub-themes.
- Make it brighter. It's an art to deal with black - you need perfect b&w pictures.
12 days ago, I sent this comment as requested ... So, I hope this was useful (got no feedback afterwards)
::red

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:36 pm

Those were great suggestions. After looking at the page on my iPhone the other day I’m convinced the web design team assumed that would be the only device used to visit the site. :cry:

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Gomjab wrote:Those were great suggestions. After looking at the page on my iPhone the other day I’m convinced the web design team assumed that would be the only device used to visit the site. :cry:
GUess what the only device I DON'T use to browse websites is? Well I do very occasionally. But it's only under duress. I hate that form factor for browsing.

strum

Post by strum » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:28 pm

The only nice thing I can say about Moog's new website is that it does accurately model what a great website would look like if you put that site through a ring modulator...
MacBookPro11,3 - 16GB - 2.5GHz i7
macOS 10.11.6

sin night

Post by sin night » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:14 pm

I prefered the old website, it was easier to navigate.

The horizontal scroll is a bit unusual, but I can live with it; what I don't like is that I'm somehow forced to navigate the site in a single tab (and I like opening lots of tabs in the browser :) ).

For example, I go to Application section and see the Minimoog Model D App, the Model 15 App, Animoog, etc: on each of these apps there's a "Learn More" link. My first instinct is to open those links on different tabs of the browser (so I can read all of them without having to navigate back... this is also a way to remember me to see those pages). If I hover those links with the mouse pointer, the browser shows the link to the main section (for example "synthesizers -> applications" - synthesizers?type=56) instead of the product (for example https://www.moogmusic.com/products/minimoog-model-d-app for the Model D App), so cmd/ctrl + click on that link opens a new tab on the main section instead on the product. Left clicking on the link works correctly, but forces to use just one window.

I guess there are some scripts controlling this behaviour (maybe it's even a design choice to force the navigation on a single window/tab on the new website)...

My workaround is to still cmd+click on those links in order to open a certain number of tabs and then to click the link I want to see in each of those tabs..

I use Firefox on High Sierra, if this comes out as a platform/browser specific issue.
MacMini 5.1 (mid 2011) i5 16GB OSX 10.13; Minitaur, GrandMother, 2x Mother 32, MF-101/102/103/104M/105M/107/108M, MF-Boost, MF-Drive; Roland Studio Capture, Motu microLite, 2x microExpress, iConnectMIDI4+, ESI M4U EX, Maschine Mikro, Cubase 10.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Gomjab wrote:

effective, fast communication gets obfuscated by complicated crap, for the sake of complicated

If you have specific suggestions I would use the “talk to us” link on the main page to give them your feedback. The problem is that with the One launch they probably have their hands tied cause all the new One content is in the new form. I’m hoping they start making incremental improvements and hopefully the next major redesign will be more practical than trying to be different.
update: I did get a reply from Moog: glad they are monitoring for feedback etc!

ps Gomjab: I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, and each time I was metaphorically transported to that instance in Frank Herbert's DUNE book, where he is going through the GOM JABBAR ordeal....holding his hand inside the box while it was burning etc, with the Gom Jabbar at his neck

difference was: I had to freely hold my hand on a table ( not strapped down or immobilized ) while a doctor hacked through my palm/wrist muscles with a razor. I could hear the crunching of the cartilage, and it was all I could do to hold my hand still, while it felt like a mad dog was pulling on it. Of course, if I freaked out & yanked my hand away, it could have been very messy!

one of the most miserable psychological things I've had to do...twice :(

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:49 pm

ummagumma wrote:
Gomjab wrote:

update: I did get a reply from Moog: glad they are monitoring for feedback etc!

ps Gomjab: I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, and each time I was metaphorically transported to that instance in Frank Herbert's DUNE book, where he is going through the GOM JABBAR ordeal....holding his hand inside the box while it was burning etc, with the Gom Jabbar at his neck

difference was: I had to freely hold my hand on a table ( not strapped down or immobilized ) while a doctor hacked through my palm/wrist muscles with a razor. I could hear the crunching of the cartilage, and it was all I could do to hold my hand still, while it felt like a mad dog was pulling on it. Of course, if I freaked out & yanked my hand away, it could have been very messy!

one of the most miserable psychological things I've had to do...twice :(
Wow! Well you are definitely human! I hope after having endure a procedure so painful that it significantly helped with the carpal tunnel.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:46 am

yep, thanks, all seems good now!

so it was worth it

and apologies for veering way off topic. I almost didn't post that, but it seemed to match your username; is that what it refers to?