Moog One FEATURE Requests

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
PhilAiken

Re: Moog One FEATURE Requests

Post by PhilAiken » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 pm

This seems eminently doable and useful:
The equivalent of single trigger for envelopes on polyphonic patches.

So basically, like a mono patch's single trigger envelope, it does not kick off if the key that triggered it has not been released. This allows you to play phrases without kicking off say, the filter envelope on each note.
There are some variables here. What if the note that triggered the envelope is released, but there is still a subsequent note held down?
How does the filter behave for new notes? I would think that the current envelope setting is applied - so most often directly at the sustain level. Probably some other things to think about.
The uses would go beyond the above application with the filter, allowing what is in essence a "synth level" envelope, assuming you get your technique down. This could even go into that territory, and with another setting, once triggered, the envelope runs to fruition, affecting all voices as per its setting.

A workaround once we can route envelopes to/from cv, is to have a mono patch on synth 2, envelope out via CV, into a CV input, controlling a voice level parameter in synth one. I suspect though, that this can be done elegantly internally.

mbeck69

Post by mbeck69 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:03 am

Please make the envelope sync values be freely variable from 1/64 to 64, perhaps while holding down the SHIFT button. In this day and age there’s no good reason why we shouldn’t be able to work in subdivisions of 7 and 5!

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:38 am

This is somewhat redundant, having said similar a few posts up, but is I think a better explanation, cut and pasted from another forum.

I posted a feature request on the Moog forum, that seems both doable and useful. I would like a setting on the envelopes with polyphonic patches to basically make them behave like single trigger mono envelopes. I'll use the example of a filter envelope to explain what I mean.
On a polyphonic sound, without my magic setting, if you play a single note line, whether over a chord or not, you get the full filter envelope on every note. Forgetting about the chord below for a minute, I envision playing legato lines on a polyphonic patch, with the filter envelope NOT triggering on every note, much as it would behave on a mono patch without multi-triggering pressed. In its most basic form this would simply involve an envelope not retriggering while the first note remains held, with each newly triggered voice picking up the envelope in progress. To get jiggy with it, the most recently played note could become the note of record towards a potential retrigger.
Thus you could play legato while not needing to make sure the first key remains held down, and still not retrigger the envelope.
This could have a multitude of applications beyond the filter envelope example I used. I have a work around in mind for when we have more extensive CV in and out, but this seems like it could be done, and be something uncommon. Basically could act kinda sorta as a per synth envelope, while others could still be per voice.

damian

Post by damian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:08 am

Sequencer loop function.

Currently the only way I have found to loop the sequencer is to turn off 'one shot' after programming a sequence. Having an explicit 'loop sequencer -> on/off' would be a straightforward way of ensuring that programming and step sequencing are clearer in the interface. Having these functions as discrete settings would improve the workflow.

Toom

Post by Toom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm not sure if this has been requested yet. But is it possible to specify a specific musical note "A, A#/Gb, and so on..." as an ON controller/function for a modulation parameter? I'm not sure if I'm explaining this properly, but say you want to affect the amount to the filter cutoff whenever an A is pressed. That way different chords could generate different modulation parameters. This feature could get pretty wild, but it would be unlike anything I've ever heard before.

Again, bad example would be.

Playing A triggers amount to Osc1 wave form, playing G triggers noise on/off, playing E triggers increase to attack on filter envelope. Setting different parameters to different functions based on Notes could generate extreme randomness when playing melodies.

Key mapping of sorts.

You guys still with me? :shock: :? :lol:

damian

Post by damian » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Sequencer MIDI File Support (Import and Export)

When saving sequences to the M1, they are stored as .m1s files. Ideally, these .m1s files could be converted to and from midi.

What I would like to see is the ability to import .mid files (ideal for taking sequences from the studio to the road for live performance) and the ability to export .mid files (ideal for porting Moog One sequences for layering with soft synths, etc). In a perfect world the M1 would support both the .m1s and .mid file formats for sequence portability.

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Simply: An eq in the synth effects section. Less "effecty" than trying to use the resonator as such.

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:39 pm

If there is any way via firmware to boost the mixer output or better still individual oscillators just a hair higher than they can be pushed now, even if it sounds bad on certain settings......

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:52 pm

A lot of people have mentioned this: an easy way to pan spread voices.
Conversely, a global MONO setting would be quite welcome for live use - though you could maintain a separate user space.

DSIs implementation of voice panning is excellent.

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:29 am

Hello,
Regarding stereo panning, although I agree that the DSI spread knob is convenient and might be useful for those who don’t want precise or cumbersome stetting, I personally prefer the results that can be obtained by modulating using voice number & S&H or other parameters.
I always found the result more lively and less predictable than the DSI “standard” spread.
On a synth like the One, both approaches should be possible.

That said, I have another request: Sustain Slope on Envelopes
On my DM12 I got used to playing with the sustain slope in the envelopes: you can adjust it so as to be ascending or descending.
It gives very interesting results.
For example you could have a brass sound with short attack on the filer, slightly longer decay, plunging down to a very low sustain level and then, slowly climbing up and up until it reaches a very opened filer setting.
If you add a delayed LFO based vibrato to that, it’s like having two sounds under your fingers depending on you holding the chord or not, and without any use of mod wheel or aftertouch.

The advantage is that the sustain slope is perfectly regular / straight, so you get a smoother filter sweep that if you do it manually (plus you can keep playing with both hands on the keys)

Cheers!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:23 am

vwizz wrote:I personally prefer the results that can be obtained by modulating using voice number & S&H or other parameters.
I always found the result more lively and less predictable than the DSI “standard” spread.
Hi vwizz,
It's likely that you've already tried this, but I'll post in case others haven't:

LFO 4 WAVE = S&H
LFO RANGE = SLOW
VARIATION = 0
NOTE-ON RESET = ON

Create a MOD
SOURCE = LFO 4
Value = 30% (Adjust to taste)
DESTINATION = VCA / PAN

Wiggle the VCA PAN knob and set it to 12 O'clock.

Make sure that the SYNTH EFFECT is Off.

An interesting variation is to increase the LFO 4 FADE IN TIME.
This will make the initial attack of each note centered, and then it will quickly pan to the random value.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

JasonRubenstein

Post by JasonRubenstein » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:30 am

Mod destination request:

Allow a mod source to modulate the gate %age of a step in a sequence or arpeggiator.

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:36 pm

A sequencer randomization/probability function would be great! The Elektron Analog Rytm or Social Entropy Engine sequencers are good examples of what I mean.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:21 pm

vwizz wrote:Hello,
Regarding stereo panning, although I agree that the DSI spread knob is convenient and might be useful for those who don’t want precise or cumbersome stetting, I personally prefer the results that can be obtained by modulating using voice number & S&H or other parameters.

That said, I have another request: Sustain Slope on Envelopes
On my DM12 I got used to playing with the sustain slope in the envelopes: you can adjust it so as to be ascending or descending.
It gives very interesting results.
For example you could have a brass sound with short attack on the filer, slightly longer decay, plunging down to a very low sustain level and then, slowly climbing up and up until it reaches a very opened filer setting.
If you add a delayed LFO based vibrato to that, it’s like having two sounds under your fingers depending on you holding the chord or not, and without any use of mod wheel or aftertouch.

The advantage is that the sustain slope is perfectly regular / straight, so you get a smoother filter sweep that if you do it manually (plus you can keep playing with both hands on the keys)

Cheers!
You can also achieve similar using the Mod EG and setting the destination to the sustain level of the other envelope(s). Of course you burn an extra envelope this way. When the CV control is fully developed, you can use a 2nd Synths envelope via CV out, into the main synth via CV in.

I do not disagree that setting the slope of the sustain would be simpler and more desirable.

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:38 pm

There should REALLY be a way to adjust, and hopefully modulate the volumes of the insert busses post-return.

I am quoting myself from another board here:

The inserts aren't really inserts, are they? They are more like aux sends. I
I often forget when using an insert to shut off the synth to the main out, then wonder why I am still hearing dry signal.
Unlike the synth effects, which are actual inserts. It is confusing, and I guess useful if you are using something you wish to mix with the dry signal, like a verb or delay set at 100% wet. But my favorite delay, which I sold to fund the One and just bought back, the MF-104M, has a drive I really like. So I want to set the effects level THERE and hear the whole thing - which means shutting off the synth to mains. This leads to another point. You can set the SEND level to for an insert, but then whatever comes back is going to the MAINS via the insert buss at whatever level it returns at. There is no way to adjust the insert return level on the instrument as far as I can tell. We should at least be able to adjust it via the mod matrix, but also the Output page. You should also be able to send the insert buss to the sub outs.

Oh, and by the way, this is why some people are not getting the results they expect using drive pedals. It is not that the level isn't hot enough to create drive, it is that you are still hearing the unaffected signal.