Minimoog Model D Reissue Sticky Key Issue

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mazen

Minimoog Model D Reissue Sticky Key Issue

Post by mazen » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:50 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the world of Moog and new to this forum - both very exciting places to be.

I was wondering if anyone has faced a similar problem to mine. I've just had my new Moog D shipped over and everything is working great except for the 2 lowest notes on the keyboard. These notes have a sticky sound to them and when aftertouch is depressed, there is almost a knocking-back-in place sound.

I've looked everywhere to find a solution which doesn't include shipping the D back (a fortune.) Here is a clip of a video which has a similar issue to mine, can anyone please help?? Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSfBQVYLJ6s

Thanks everyone, I just want to have the best Moog experience possible!

Markyboard

Re: Minimoog Model D Reissue Sticky Key Issue

Post by Markyboard » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:48 pm

Unfortunately the only way to know whats going on is to open it up. It could be as simple as re-seating/aligning the entire keybed mechanism as the problem lies down at one end where the cabinet could be interfering with it. However it may be those 2 keys have a bad grommet or broken piece underneath. I would contact Moog and let them know your concern with shipping cost. Assuming you bought this new from an authorized dealer they should take care of you. If you acquired it with no warranty than I'd open it up and take a look.

mazen

Post by mazen » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks a lot Markyboard.

This is what the person who created the YouTube video wrote "The noise you are hearing when pressing the two lowest keys on the keyboard is being caused by the after pressure strip. The after pressure strip has some slack in it that allows the strip to flex and migrate inside of the Model D’s chassis. I suspect that when the Model D was being shipped to the retail shop the after pressure strip migrated underneath the two lowest keys of the keyboard."[/I]

I did buy it under warranty and shipped it over, but realistically where I live, it's going to be a long shot to get it in Moog's hands. I've reached out to them as suggested though.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:01 am

Ah yes, I forgot the AT strip as an obvious culprit. It getting in the way interfering with the keys is not an uncommon problem on various AT equipped keybeds. The manufacturer will often tape down the flex AT ribbon strip although I'm not certain they do that on the Model D. Never the less its a very easy fix. Just be extremely careful not to stress the flex AT strip as they are somewhat delicate. You might contact Moog and get their OK for fixing this yourself. I heard they're pretty reasonable about these type requests.

Good luck.

mazen

Post by mazen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks Markyboard!

Well I'm yet to hear back from Moog on the issue, but it's good to learn that they are reasonable on this, I wouldn't touch it without their consent ... not after buy brand new.

If they do give the go ahead, can someone point me in the direction of content on opening up the keyboard ... or I'm thinking at least the panel on the left ... I think I can probably access the ribbon from there and see if I can manage to place it correctly on the last 2 keys where they may have moved incorrectly (ie: without having to lift the whole keyboard unit out!)

Thanks!

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm

I don't own a re-issue Model D but i do own the original (well actually I know Rudi owns the "original"). Lifting up the wheel assembly module is just a matter of removing the 2 screws below the wheels near the end block strip of wood. The assembly can then be lifted out. However if it's like the Voyager the Aftertouch (AT) ribbon strip will be connected to the underside of the wheel assembly so go slow and careful. The original Model D doen't have AT so I'm sort of guessing here.
If the AT cable is attached to the wheel assembly then trying to tape down/secure the AT ribbon strip out of the way of the bottom most keys may be difficult since you'll be taking up all the slack. If this is true you'll need to remove the bottom cover instead and get at it from underneath the synth. But at the very least you can lift up the wheel assembly to confirm that it is the AT ribbon cable that's giving you the problem.

If you're not comfortable with this then you should send it to an authorized service center. Hopefully Moog can direct you further.

mazen

Post by mazen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks Markyboard, That's some good guidance :)

Let's me see what Moog comes back with, at least I have an idea of what may lay ahead!

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:34 pm

I emailed Moog about this on my model D, they sent instructions on how to fix. but it hasn't been bothering me enough to pull the thing apart

basically it was: carefully disassemble the left control section & then reglue that end of the strip down

oh, and congrats on the new D!! I love mine...it really is a fantastic synth

mazen

Post by mazen » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:23 am

Thanks Ummagumma!! That's a relief to know cause don't want to have to send it somewhere and wait weeks for it to return. I PMEd you separately hoping you can forward the email to me since Moog take forever to respond :D

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:44 pm

if you just bought it, I would wait until you get an official response from MOOG before doing anything!!

it may void your warranty, and you could also screw something up?

ps I was wrong about going thru the left control panel, the bottom needs to come off