Newbie deciding between Minitaur and Mother 32. Help???

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
jaisonwhitekar

Newbie deciding between Minitaur and Mother 32. Help???

Post by jaisonwhitekar » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:28 am

Hey I'm a total 100% newbie when it comes to synthesizers and I am wanting to take my first step into the world of synthesizers. I've been watching a ton of videos about the Moog Minitaur and the Mother 32, trying my hardest to understand what they are talking about and doing in the demo videos and they both sound absolutely amazing. My question to you synth savvy people is what synth would be a good one to start out with? I would be using it for music production and I know these two synths have worlds of differences but what synth would be best to learn on and can help me get an understanding of how synths work. I plan to own both one day but what would be the best intro? And it would even be super helpful if someone can explain further to me (in understandable explaining) what the Mother 32 and Minitaur is because I see that the Mother 32 has a step sequencer and patch cable input and all of that crazy stuff and the miniatuar is a bass synth but also has other crazy abilities...and word of advice, info, and help is highly appreciated. Thanks!!

Acid Mitch

Re: Newbie deciding between Minitaur and Mother 32. Help???

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:17 pm

If you only want bass sounds get the Minitaur.
If you want bass and some high notes get the Mother.

The Minitaur, being a bass synth, has a limited note range and can’t play above middle c.
Mother can play notes higher than that.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:26 am

mother 32 would be my choice

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Because it has a quite conventional structure, meaning 2 VCOs, a VCF and a VCA, because it has a layout that allows to visualize the classic, usual parameters of such a simple substractive synthesizer, and because you know you will get the other one some day, I would go Minitaur first.

If the low note limitation is too much to bear (C5 is the limit, I think.. that's not hell...), you may want to try a used Sub Phatty or even Slim Phatty, the later having a (barely- less intuitive interface.

I haven't tried the Mother 32 and it looks like it's a great instrument, but the controls are not the most obvious to me. I feel the Minitaur is a better teacher for a complete novice because the basic synthesis concepts are made visible.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:43 pm

Minitaur has a load of parameters ”under the hood” that you either need to learn the button/knob combinations to access or you have to use the editor. It’s not one knob/button per function, what you see is what you get like the mother 32.

And regarding “c5 “ being middle C, that depends on your controller or sequencer. There is no standard for naming notes. Note number will always be the same but middle C can range from c3 to c5 depending on how the manufacturer decides to name the note numbers.

I agree one of the Phatties would be a good choice

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Acid Mitch wrote:Minitaur has a load of parameters ”under the hood” that you either need to learn the button/knob combinations to access or you have to use the editor. It’s not one knob/button per function, what you see is what you get like the mother 32.
True... but.
I think one can be be introduce to substractive synthesis without even tweaking those under-the-hood-parameters. The Minitaur's panel is quite enough to undestand basic concept. To me, the Mother's panel does not allow that as easily.
Well, that's me, huh?

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:34 pm

I have both but would be partial to the Minitaur if I could only have one as a beginner synth. It is just way more simple to learn and use than the Mother 32.

On the other hand the Mother 32 has more possibilities long term

The Minitaur has a really deep bass end growl that no other synth I have can make.