New Moog Website Design

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MC

Re: New Moog Website Design

Post by MC » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Who implemented the horizontal scrolling? While it works on Safari/OSX, on my MacBook the screen is small enough that the text is cut off on the bottom and there's no vertical scrolling to see it.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

musicalnyc

Post by musicalnyc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:27 am

Just wanted to add that the new moog site is one of the most awful horrible website designs ever. The horizontal scrolling and sideways download links are just two of many design choices beyond comprehension...

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:51 pm

Fellow Moog fans and paying customers (paying for the website among other things...), I don't think Moog reads their own forums anymore. At least they have not responded to anything here for an eternity now (been lobbying for Sub 37 bug fixes). Thus I suggest sending an e-mail to [email protected] and/or [email protected] and letting them know what you think.

The absence from the forums + the new unusable web design make for a communications failure. Yes, they're making tons of Moog One videos, but that besides the point...

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:06 pm

the new website sucks donkey balls, I cannot even get it to load!

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:58 am

They do listening: Recieved a friendly email from the Moog Media Department who read this thread and were listening to suggestions.
DrJustice wrote:Fellow Moog fans and paying customers (paying for the website among other things...), I don't think Moog reads their own forums anymore. At least they have not responded to anything here for an eternity now (been lobbying for Sub 37 bug fixes). Thus I suggest sending an e-mail to [email protected] and/or [email protected] and letting them know what you think.

The absence from the forums + the new unusable web design make for a communications failure. Yes, they're making tons of Moog One videos, but that besides the point...

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Analog Prophet wrote:They do listening: Recieved a friendly email from the Moog Media Department who read this thread and were listening to suggestions.
I also got an e-mail after first e-mailing Moog. If they read the forum there's no indication of it, and in any case they don't participate by posting anymore it seems.

The mail I got contained the following points:
• We are adding a horizontal scrollbar for navigation and page position indication.
• Left and Right Keyboard arrows will now be an alternate control for navigation.
• It is noted that you do not like the “bookshelf” or vertical writing.
That response makes it clear that they're set on the new design ins spite of it being universally disliked by users. Not a good move, especially if claiming to be listening to us.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:39 pm

I also received an email reply from Moog Music about my "complaints" towards the new web site. And they clearly do not read or follow the forum on this matter.
Here's a copy of the email:

"Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding our new website on the Moog forum. We appreciate your opinion, and I’d like to hear more about what is personally making the website experience negative for you. We take this feedback seriously and thank you sincerely for the opportunity to learn how to improve.
I’d love to know what suggestions you have for us to make your experience on our site better.

To speak directly to some of your observations:

• You are correct that we do not have prices on our product pages except for items that we sell direct (merch, clothing). We received feedback on the old site that having prices was confusing to visitors as we listed MSRP but dealers sell at MAP prices. We also found that listing a US Dollar price was confusing or irritating to both domestic and international customers as prices on certain products vary dealer to dealer and country to country. We don’t want to ever promote incorrect information!

We have not intentionally hidden any other pertinent info – though we do tell a products story in a different way than you will see on a dealer’s website where the concentration is placed more on specs, features and pointing to a commerce experience. Please let me know what would provide you with a more informative viewing.

• We sure didn’t intend to create an “Ugly and awful” website. Is there anything specifically that you find ugly and awful or just the whole site in general?

If you have any other comments or questions for us please know that you can contact me directly at [email protected]. I also want to thank you for being such an active part of our forum community. We are listening!
"

I'm not going to waste anymore time on this, since the web site designers seem to want us to do their work for them.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Good to see they emailed everyone. It may be a coincidence but I ended up sending an email over the weekend about the web redesign pointing them to this thread.

I got an email response early Monday which I followed up to asking if it was okay to share the email here. I was told that they were going to contact each person here individually and was asked not to post the email.

I provided my feedback in hopes that it improves things. I’m glad to see others were contacted. Unless they are in an echo chamber I can’t imagine they don’t realize how awkward the layout is to navigate now.

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Gomjab wrote:... I was told that they were going to contact each person here individually and was asked not to post the email....
There was no such request in the mail I got.
...Unless they are in an echo chamber I can’t imagine they don’t realize how awkward the layout is to navigate now....
Ivory towers, echo chambers - it's all the same. They need to look at how real people in real life is reacting. Moog should not be taken prisoners by overzealous "creative" designers, if that's what's happening... (I have experienced instances of that kind of situation) IMO this design stands in stark contrast to their eminently designed instruments, being the polar opposite of the synths elegance, user friendliness and intuitive operation, and I'm genuinely confused as to why they're making this move.

Anyway, I've said my piece and shall not harp on :|
Last edited by DrJustice on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:22 pm

DrJustice wrote:
Gomjab wrote:... I was told that they were going to contact each person here individually and was asked not to post the email....
There was no such request in the mail I got.
...Unless they are in an echo chamber I can’t imagine they don’t realize how awkward the layout is to navigate now....
Ivory towers, echo chambers - it's all the same. They need to look at how real people in real life is reacting. Moog should not be taken prisoners by overzealous "creative" designers, if that's what's happening... (I have experienced instances of that kind of situation) IMO this design stands in stark contrast to their eminently designed instruments, being the polar opposite of elegant, user friendly and intuitive, and I'm genuinely confused as to why they're making this move.

Anyway, I've said my piece and shall not harp on :|
They said nothing in their first email about not sharing it here. I replied back specifically asking just out of courtesy. It was in a response to that second email. They weren’t hiding anything they just chose to contact people individually. Seeing how forum threads can quickly degenerate I actually understand their reasoning.

Hopefully people can give them constructive criticism.

Most certainly the group handling the website has nothing to do with the engineers designing the instruments!
Last edited by Gomjab on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:54 am

Gomjab wrote:Good to see they emailed everyone.
They’ve only contacted a few people, not everyone.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:46 am

They contacted me.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:00 am

Acid Mitch wrote:
Gomjab wrote:Good to see they emailed everyone.
They’ve only contacted a few people, not everyone.
You can always use the “talk to us” link on the main Moog page to send feedback. If you can find it on the redesigned page :P

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:09 pm

I don't need a product website to be an artistic experience, I need it to provide information. What little information there is is completely obscured by a rube goldbergian contrarian approach to site navigation. For example, I subscribed to the notice for live feeds. I've only received notice AFTER the live feeds are over. And, you get a link back to the website that doesn't take you to the video archive. I tried to find them a couple of times, but gave up and just go to youtube.

Maybe I'm not the only one, but I definitely expressed my dismay at vertical text. It's a terrible solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Basically Moog removed me from the list of people who will visit the site.

Saying all that .. I ordered a 16V MO :D

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:13 pm

I agree 100%

effective, fast communication gets obfuscated by complicated crap, for the sake of complicated

ps I did not get an email....I feel left out. where are my donkey balls??