Moog One Answers

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
drogoff

Re: Moog One Answers

Post by drogoff » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Can you plug in a USB keyboard for typing in patch names?

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm

drogoff wrote:Can you plug in a USB keyboard for typing in patch names?
Watch the Amos videos. I'm sure I heard him mention that, YES, you can use a USB computer keyboard. (thank goodness!)
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks for all the info Dan ! It's nice of you to take time to answer questions here. You're indeed a passionate synth man ! :D

MC wrote: That's another way to simulate the "imperfections". But how do you play E-A-G notes with the keyboard pitch control to the VCOs turned off?
The oscillators all play a single low E note, but the chord played on the keyboard is only used to offset the filter cutoff of each voice. That's what makes the peculiar sound heard on Tom Sawyer.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 pm

MC wrote:Will there be an easter egg "light show" like the Memorymoog has? Press C-0-Enter and every LED flashes like a theater marquee. When the band took a break I would turn the light show on and people noticed it.
Hi MC,

Like the Sub 37, Moog One will have a Lightshow parameter.

Gotta' make sure it gets used on TV and in Movies as a prop;-)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

drxcm

Post by drxcm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 pm

I think I saw a pic from the live build that looked like it had 5 cooling fans inside it.

Are these audible when the synth is powered on and in use?
Do they come on and off dependant on internal temperature, or are they 'always on'.

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Can you speak a bit to the routing possibilities of the hardware inserts?

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Hey Dan ... When do we get to see the awesome manual?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:17 am

Just a quick note: I wanted to get a Moog One from Sweetwater, but one of their sales rep told me that Moog Music Inc does not allow them to sell/ship Moog products outside the USA, even if I live in Canada just next door.

Pretty stupid sales policy from Moog if you ask me.

To get back to the One, in many demos up to now, I've clearly noticed that some of the voices in the Moog One sometimes struggle to stay in tune. You can blame it on evolving firmware all you want, but that doesn't look good in the long run. It's a pretty daunting task to keep 48 analog oscillators stable in an enclosed box, fan or not. Just ask Memorymoog owners...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:55 am

I have a desire for ONE and might head that direction down the road, but:

It is a lot of menu diving in the ONE workflow, about all videos shown so far is about a menu diving workflow. A big reason to me to use HW analog synths instead of software (sorry I used the S-word) dito is, except the soul food, the physical interaction with a great sounding instrument.

So my question is: Is it possible to use the ONE without have to dive too much in the menus or is menu diving a part of the workflow of the ONE?

benway

Post by benway » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:46 am

Hey Dan, good work with the demos so far ... this thing has grabbed me far more than I'd have thought it would when it was initially announced. Just idle curiosity here, but does it have LFO swing? It's obviously not a big thing, but for my potential uses I think I could have a lot of fun with four LFOs swinging independently.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am

Analog Prophet wrote:I have a desire for ONE and might head that direction down the road, but:

It is a lot of menu diving in the ONE workflow, about all videos shown so far is about a menu diving workflow. A big reason to me to use HW analog synths instead of software (sorry I used the S-word) dito is, except the soul food, the physical interaction with a great sounding instrument.

So my question is: Is it possible to use the ONE without have to dive too much in the menus or is menu diving a part of the workflow of the ONE?
I little menu diving is not bad. With that control surface I think you can do most things.

benway

Post by benway » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:59 am

And another question: not sure if it's been addressed yet, but can the signal path from/to the inserts be mapped at all, say pre-filter, pre-modulation etc?

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 am

benway wrote:And another question: not sure if it's been addressed yet, but can the signal path from/to the inserts be mapped at all, say pre-filter, pre-modulation etc?
pre or post inserts would be a good option.

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 pm

I have a couple of things I’d like to understand better. I don’t get into deep modulation. I’m sure I will when I have a quiet time with it to myself.

Frequency modulation (FM)
I’m not sure I understand this parameter in an analogue synth. To me it’s about running another high frequency against your other oscillators. Which creates strobing audio effects like ring mod and cross mod. But on the other hand I know that DX7 were “fm” synths with “operators” I’m guessing based on the same principle with lots of maths involved. So where does the moog one sit with this parameter? Can it be described to me as a layperson?

The other thing I’m wondering about is the resonator effect
I understand there was a resonator in the polymoog. And I’ve seen it as an option in modular gear like Rings (mutable instruments) where I think they’re talking about physical modelling and how much something resonates when struck. I guess I want to know what qualities or principles this moog effect has in the moog one. And what kinds of sounds to expect. I think I heard someone saying in one of the videos that it can saturate a sound.

Finally my own suggestion for future updates is effects that can help this synth sound vintage. Such as tape saturation, wobble, hiss, Lo fi, eq, compression and potentially even another notch/band pass separate from the filters. (Anything else people can suggest that would be useful in ageing the sound that isn’t already on the machine?)

The reason I ask is because last weekend I had the pleasure of playing a Jupiter 8, Jupiter 6 and Juno 6. And what was incredible was that recording directly from the instruments sounded as though I had gotten it off old reel to reel tape. It was such an incredible (and sought after) sound. I don’t want everything to sound pristine all the time. And we all know the emotional power of nostalgia. music is emotion! I don’t work in the box (computers ) ever, so pedals or in-built effects (or just my old four track) are the options I have at the moment. I’d like as much control as possible to craft a beautiful sound.

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 am

Hi Dan, thanks a million for the deep dives and extra info. I have my 16v on order and am ordering supporting gear, cables, pedals etc.

It is clearly stated that the Main Outs are balanced. But, it seems like the sub out may be just TS? Can you confirm if the sub outs are balanced or not?

Cheers!