Genesis - Mike Rutherford's Taurus settings versus Dewtron

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
jenthu76

Genesis - Mike Rutherford's Taurus settings versus Dewtron

Post by jenthu76 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:33 am

Hi folks,
I am new to this forum and I am heavily impressed by the breadth of knowledge even on meticulous details!

I guess that quite a few of you are into Genesis music as Mike Rutherford helped to make the Taurus sound popular.

Here are my questions:
Before the T1 came out in 1976 I understand that Mike used the Dewtron Mister Bassman bass pedals which sound quite different to me compared to the Taurus.
For reference here is a youtube link to a guy playing Genesis on a Dewtron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_721cV ... gs=pl%2Cwn

Therefore I wonder what settings Mike used on the T1 when playing Genesis songs originating prior to 1976, e.g Watcher of the skies, Musical Box which were frequently played as encores. Did he use the Taurus preset or did he use the variable setting on the T1 to sound closer to the Dewtron?
Also on the Lamb lies down on Broadway tour in 1975 he added quite a bit of bass pedals when playing live which were not on the studio version (e.g. on Hairless Heart). This must have been still Dewtron Mister Bassman or did he have access to the T1 already? Or did he alter the sound on the Archive 1 version of The Lamb (again Hearless Heart) before they released the Archive in 1998?

If anyone has an idea or any insights I would love to learn more.

Thanks,
Jens (happy T1 owner since recently)

timmy

Re: Genesis - Mike Rutherford's Taurus settings versus Dewtr

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:36 am

I would use the Tuba setting to approximate the Dewtron sound.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:16 am

It looks like Rutherford was still using the Dewtrons for the Lamb tour. They appear front and center on his pedalboard. The pedalboard looks to be the same or similar to his pedalboard as used in the Genesis Live at Shepperton 1973 video.

As I've read, the Archive 1 recording was pretty heavily 'doctored'. I believe Gabriel sang nearly everything again. Hackett recut a lot of the guitar. I am not sure how much Rutherford or Banks replaced but it could be quite a bit.

jenthu76

Post by jenthu76 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi Timmy,
thanks for your reply - much appreciated.
Talking about re-tracking the Live Lamb LA concert for the Archive 1, there is a fantastic series from audio engineer Leigh Harris (LileighWhiteLilith) analysing side-by-side, almost phrase by phrase breakdown of WHICH Peter G. is singing the song. Very interesting but only, as Leigh states, for the Lamb fanatics. Here is link in case you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... L5LtowoubQ

Enjoy!
jenthu76

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Isolated Mike Rutherford on the Genesis track Eleventh Earl of Mar. Besides playing the Taurus Mike plays some very interesting bass guitar parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGwm7hg ... gs=pl%2Cwn

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Wow. I just found this guy covering Eleventh Earl Of Mar. Pretty darn good. The Taurus pedals are causing my speakers to make the room shake. Killer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHY3mlaV2g8