Choosing my first synth

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
minimaltommy

Choosing my first synth

Post by minimaltommy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi, I'm new to sound engineering and have a few questions as to which synth to start with.

Firstly I'm a classical musical student, melody is what I'm most interested in working with. So I was particularly drawn to tracks from kraftwerk such as europe endless, radioactivity, autobahn and computer love. I don't want to copy kraftwerk or even imitate, but I think they had a good selection of sounds and equipment to produce their melody's.

I've been looking at the voyager old school and was wondering as to whether or not this would fit the bill. Or if something like a mother-32 could recreate the melodious sound style.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

stiiiiiiive

Re: Choosing my first synth

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:44 am

Hey MinimalTommy, welcome to the forum!

Not sure to undestand your question.
If you're interested in melody, any synth will do the job, even a monophonic one (i.e. one you cannot play chords on). Now, the differences between synths are more on the sound character or on the features sides.

The Voyager Old School has a keyboard, three oscillators and a quite vast array of synthesis possibilities. The Mother 32 has its own sequencer for "automatic", repetetive melodies, no keyboard and a bit less posibilities. Price and portability factor are other criteria to take into account.

What are your criteria?...

minimaltommy

Post by minimaltommy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Sorry about about the vagueness of my question - I've been doing alot of reading since.

Price is somewhat of a consideration, but I would be willing to stretch to the voyagers price tag.

Portability is not a consideration as I have relative who owns a large empty barn with a room that I hope to turn into a studio.

My main criteria is an analog synth similar in sound character to the voyager/model d.

If I connected a midi or CV controller keyboard, would the mother 32 become as open (in terms of possibilities) as the voyager? As for the repetitive melodies i am less interested in them; but since the mother is newer and cheaper I'm leaning towards it out of convenience. I've also been interested in a ARP odessy 1, how similar is that interms of sound character to the voyager/model d.

Again, sorry for the vagueness of my question and thank you for any answers.

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:43 pm

There is also the Grandmother. Monophonic, two osc (with lfo osc. going into audio range). It has keyboard, and endless connectivity to external gear, and stuff within it self. And a wonderful spring reverb. I also think it is nice for learning about basic synthesis. I just got mine, and I don't think I exaggerate when I say that I will not get all its possibilities used in this lifetime.

If you want polyphonic, you will have to look for another firm. Again this will depend on your needs. The possibilities are vast.
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:57 pm

You can't go wrong with a Voyager. Frankly it has tons of possibilities. Of corse you can always just get a Model D. That's the tone machine.

Right now it doesn't look like a good Voyager buyers market. Several months ago though you could have gotten one in the $2k range. The ones on ebay seem to be asking for new retail prices.

Then there is always an option of something like a Moslab Model 15 or a Synth-Werk M1 or similar but you'd have to stretch out a bit more for those. Frankly for me it's a toss up between the Moslab System 15 and the Synth-Werk Model 10.

If you are looking for the tone and the capability of the Model D/Voyager then go for a Model D/Voyager. Don't necessarily gravitate to the Grandmother just because it's convenient.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:27 am

Yep, more or less that: if you’re leaning towards a Voyager or Model D and if you can afford it, just get one :)