RIP Moogerfooger

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
captainkidd

RIP Moogerfooger

Post by captainkidd » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Just got an email stating that Moog has ceased production of the Moogerfooger line. I have one of each and actually 2 of the 104m's. I got the second one for a price I couldn't pass up. It's mentioned that they've been producing them for 20 years so I guess that's a pretty good run.

TimeEchoProductions

Re: RIP Moogerfooger

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Sad news.

What would be cool is if they were reincarnated as modules,
If Moog were to start selling individual modules.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 pm

https://mailchi.mp/moogmusic/peterdyeri ... 459061505c

Sad. They were my entry into the modular world. :cry:

But I see the point. For each I have bought, I have noted that Moog and I could save a lot, by somehow going full- or semimodular. I mean, when I finally got one of the very last bunch of 104s I noted, "GREAT, but eh I already have that super great LFO on the 108." And the units were not exactly cheap.

I don't put them in my guitar pedal board - as they are simply too big. If I would have used them there, I should have lots of expression pedals adding to board real estate. So they are rackmounted, so as knobs can be tweaked and expression pedals can be used for particular applications. But I did loathe the rackmounting, as an MF looks so super classy with its wooden ears.

As mentioned, they were very expensive. That has probably put many off who would explore the modular features, and found cheaper and great alternatives in the Eurorack world.

I would have loved if Moog continued in the 5U tradition with modules like a MFs, but the recent Moog synthesizer units seems to be very Eurorack oriented. I get all the reasons for that. However, I do not like that for two reasons. 1) The 5U modules look(ed) elegant and high-end 2) I do find turning those big Moog knobs much more satisfactory than the small knobs, cords and jacks that are crammed together in a Eurorack (the latter often causing me to inadvertently pull out an extra cord). But I am getting old.....

But somehow, if Moog goes into the Eurorack module work, the models should scream MOOG when you look at them (and not just because the price is twice as high as other modules :) )!
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:29 pm

I must say this is the Moog discontinuation news that I found the saddest right after the Little Phatty's.
I love the MoogerFooger family, I feel there is few competitor effect modules that put together the sound quality, flexibility and form factor.

As you, Kirneh Ness, I find way more satisfaction in using big knobs instruments/modules. I've often told myself that there was a couple of LP alternatives as I was carrying mine along with another keyboard, but I cannot ignore that this size and weight factor is part of the pleasure in the physical relationship to an instrument.

Only one MoogerFooger has its spot in a pedal board while the other ones sit at home, ready to be patched, thought not racked. Then again, I know any reasonably sized Eurorack system would do the same featurewise, but that feel...

There are quite a lot of MoogerFoogers out there and I'm sure we'll keep on seeing some of them around for a long time :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:53 am

Very sad indeed.
They are extremly good quality pieces that have a classy and classic look to them.
Now that classic look will be vintage.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:45 pm

yes it is sad
yes it is sad

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Dang, sad day, indeed. :(
Everything I own from Moog (except the Minitaur) is now Legacy.

Might be time to pickup one or two spare MoogerFoogers before they all disappear and/or become completely unaffordable...
Moog DotCom_Aug 18.jpg
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:32 pm

I love my Mooger Fooger rack and I am sad to hear the line will end (without getting MIDI versions of the Freqbox, Ringmod or LPF). I understand that this means they can move on to making something new and awesome, so it is probably a good trade off!

I thought about how I wanted my Fooger cabinet to be for years and finally settled on the one I posted below. The whole Fooger part tilts forward to allow easy patching. This was great to bring along when I played at a campground in the middle of nowhere last year for Even Further!

MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:31 pm

The Moogerfoogers are where I really learned about synthesis. The effects are fantastic and the manuals were so well-written.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:15 pm

I am upset, yet excited about this! please make a single catch all unit with all the previous foogers included with the multiple ins and out!!!!! i am also glad that over the last few years i was fortunate enough to obtain the versatility of the historic moogerfooger collection in the 101, 102, 103, 104m, 105m, 107 & 108m as well as cp-251...... but there is my question!... although the cp 251 is a moogerfooger, it was not mentioned in thee to be retired list. will the cp-251 still live?? this, as of now, is the one i think i need a double of
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:30 pm

but I;m still waiting for for the new one ,they printed here! :mrgreen:
Attachments
mf 106mneu.jpg

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:25 pm

I too am very sad about this mostly because it means no new pedals will be made in the line, and I was hoping for at least one more.

Like some of the others here, Moogerfoogers are the reason I understand soo much about synthesis and effects in general. Bob's passion for others learning is what hooked me. I'm really hoping Moog keeps that in mind, and continues to build products that match the foogers in durability.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:25 am

I'll also reiterate what others have said: Moogerfoogers were extremely influential on my music, interests and life.

I first heard about the MF-102 sometime in 2004. I was interested in ring mod sounds from Mike Einziger and Omar Rodríguez-López, and lo and behold, one came up for sale on the New Zealand version of eBay. I snapped it up and discovered Moog Music. The MF102 demo with the Wurli piano still amazes me for how otherworldy and flexible it is.

https://soundcloud.com/moogmusicinc/wurli102r

This piqued my interests in synths in general and by 2005 I had a Voyager, followed by a Rhodes, several other keyboards, tape delays, all of the Moogerfooger line etc.

Throughout my journey I always wanted to learn more, so began to develop skills in electronics that now help me out with my day job. I also design circuit boards and projects.

My interests have diverged a bit from the primary market Moog Music targets, but I'm really interested in what will come out next for them.

Thanks Bob, thanks Moog Music. You rock!

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:06 am

This just makes me want to build a mock MF-433 in tribute. :cry:

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:28 am

I have a 101 and 102

have to admit, I stopped there because I found the patch points annoying and inconvenient to access

ended up putting them face up and backwards on a shelf, so I could patch them more easily: otherwise I found I never experimented much & just left them plugged in

with the 1/8" in/outs on the Grandmother, I am guessing they will release the Fooger line as better designed front patchable modules, which are also eurorack friendly