What Are Your Recording Setups?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
shurimano

What Are Your Recording Setups?

Post by shurimano » Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 am

I am interested in any exceptional processing devices/ signal flows used in recording or playing live with your moog synths. As many different setups as I have used, the best for me is simply model D to mackie mixer with aux send going to space echo, from mackie to compressor to analog tape. I have used Logic and pro tools in the past, and still use them mainly for reverbs (mackie aux sends to firewire-> DAW -> reverb plugin-> mackie - > speakers/tape) and loops, but tape is indispensable for me to maintain the analog signal, and as a processor in itself, how it affects the transients (which can be changed substantially by changing the tape formulation). Also for me a good compressor/limiter is crucial for minimoog because of the wide dynamic range of the synth and how it can overload a system. LA-2A leveling amplifier for minimoog basslines enhances the sound in amazing ways, turning the fat into the morbidly obese. I think I have come to the point where I am content with the model D as my only synth, and now I just need to find the exact combination of analog signal processing to make it sound out of this world.
My next processor will be a Manley Massive Passive EQ. For those uninitiated, this is a tube EQ with passive circuitry (inductors, resistors, etc.) that imparts a wonderful, almost surreal quality to anything you put through it. It really is a magic box, and I can't wait to put the mini through it. I know most of you might think this type of stuff is boring, what with all the new modules and crazy effects out there, and I felt the same way until being exposed to audio engineering and the creative tools that non-musicans use to make music sound better and put their own signature on it. I have always wondered why synth makers and signal processor manufacturers have never really combined their efforts. Except when Moog made the Eq's. Someone should start making synth modules for 500 series lunchboxes or make signal processor modules for modular synths. It would be cool to be able to compress an oscillator before going to a filter, or to gate a filter output, etc.
I never saw the importance of the engineering side of music, but now I realize it's just as important. Whereas in the past people were mainly either a musician or engineer, nowadays the line is increasingly blurred, and since alot of us are do it yourselfers, it is important to maximize the sound of our instruments in order to maintain the quality achieved in the past which has made instruments like the minimoog so revered.

Chimponaut

Re: What Are Your Recording Setups?

Post by Chimponaut » Thu May 10, 2018 3:20 pm

HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 pm

I have moogerfoogers as well as a lot of other effects pedals,
Then for preamps I have a 4 Channel API Clone, and a UA 2-610
My interface is a UA Apollo 8 Black. I would get some hardware
compressors or EQs if I can eventually, but for now, most of the processing
After the preamps is UAD plug-ins. I also Re-amp through pedals or my various amps.
I have an old Silvertone 1483 30w bass amp with 1x15 Jensen cab that sounds
Gnarly when you run a Moog into it.
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

valtyr

Post by valtyr » Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 am

Moog Voyager - Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer - Alesis iO2 interface - iMac with Garageband - KRK Rokit 8 monitor speakers.

For guitar, I don't care for the amp models in Garageband and get better results dropping a SM57 in front of whatever amp I'm using. For bass, there are a few decent bass amp models so I usually record direct. I can't sing so I don't worry about vocals. :lol:

I'm just an amateur recording at home, so I don't need all that much. If I outgrow Garageband then I'll probably upgrade to Logic but so far Garageband has been able to deal with everything I have thrown at it.

piper

Post by piper » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm

I have my Sub 37 plugged into a little mixer. Sometimes I use the built in reverb on the mixer.

That goes into a Focusrite 18-i8. I just realized I have an ISA-1 with a DI that I should try plugging it into.

I've also taken the headphone out into a cheap tube compressor and into another channel on the mixer. I can hear a difference in the sound between the compressed and the uncompressed, but I can't say I prefer it for anything yet. Probably because it's a cheap compressor.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:12 pm

I’ve found the listening/mixing space is more important to the details of a composition than the specific reference or effects/processing instrumentation. A solid set of speakers, and a flat listening space, with accurate imaging makes a world of difference.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.