Polychaining: The Phatt Bastard Project

Everything Phatty.
Flareless

Polychaining: The Phatt Bastard Project

Post by Flareless » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:27 pm

I've been building a polychain of Phattys in what I'm calling The Phatt Bastard Project

The chain is presently up to 6 voices.

You can read the details here; The Phatt Bastard Project

Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

IgorCristo

Re: Polychaining: The Phatt Bastard Project

Post by IgorCristo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:41 am

Excellent post! Having 3 Slim Phatty to polychain with my Little Phatty is a current dream of mine. The only problem is that I live in Brazil, and they’re rare around here.

Thank you for sharing all this knowledge with us.

Would love to hear some sound examples...

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 pm

IgorCristo wrote:Excellent post! Having 3 Slim Phatty to polychain with my Little Phatty is a current dream of mine. The only problem is that I live in Brazil, and they’re rare around here.

Thank you for sharing all this knowledge with us.

Would love to hear some sound examples...

Cheers!
Thanks. The good news is that Slim Phatty's are available from all around the world. Shipping isn't too bad. Good luck in building your dream synth!

I'll put some sound clips and video together soon and post on this thread.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:41 am

I've recently resolved a nightmare where I recovered a Slim Phatty that was, for all intents and purposes, BRICKED :cry:

You can read the details at this link

I'm hoping to get some recording of Phatt Bastard going soon. I've been working on some cool patches and the polyphony is excellent. I've also spread each voice around the stereo field through the line mixer. It REALLY enhances the sound.
Rich

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:53 am

Very interesting, thanks for posting this! :)

Just for the sake of research efficiency, let me place the tags "unbrick" and "unbricked" here ;)

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:48 pm

I have a 5 voices. Very thick sounding.
Last edited by MRNUTTY on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

kajo

Post by kajo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:08 pm

Your Phatty tower looks great!

I have a question:
I would like to build up something similar for my live rig, but more than 3 slim phattys would cause a logistic problem - too big, too heavy.
So I wonder if I could take 3 phattys and add a synth by a different brand at the end of the chain just in case I would need more than 3 voices.
Do you have experiences in doing so?
Tanx in advance!

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:09 pm

kajo wrote:Your Phatty tower looks great!

I have a question:
I would like to build up something similar for my live rig, but more than 3 slim phattys would cause a logistic problem - too big, too heavy.
So I wonder if I could take 3 phattys and add a synth by a different brand at the end of the chain just in case I would need more than 3 voices.
Do you have experiences in doing so?
Tanx in advance!
Thanks!

The Moog Minitaur can also be polychained with the Phattys although I've never personally done this.
Rich

kajo

Post by kajo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:54 am

Yeah - I know. But the tone range is limited, it´s not 19" and there are no memory patches.
It´s for one of my live rigs and as I already mentioned, 6 oder 7 slim phattys would be way too big and heavy.

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:17 pm

While I didn't reach my goal of 8 voices in 2018 I did manage to slip a sixth Slim Phatty into Phatt Bastard 2 days before the year ended bringing the total number of voices (with the Little Phatty controller) to 7.

Rich

husker

Post by husker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 pm

That's Awesome!

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 am

Do you get any note drop-out or double-up glitching issues?

I have 3 phatty voices and it never was reliable with the round-robin note distribution.

EDIT: Just read in your link that for you this issue seemed to be related to MIDI merge - thanks, I'll look into that for my set-up!

David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:57 am

Somewhere in my quest for Phatty knowledge someone mentioned that feeding an external clock to the Phatty chain can contribute to the note-drop effect.

I have found this to be true.
Rich

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:12 am

It may have been me :)

I remember performing some tests and filtering the MIDI clock signal led to far better results.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:28 am

Flareless wrote:Somewhere in my quest for Phatty knowledge someone mentioned that feeding an external clock to the Phatty chain can contribute to the note-drop effect.

I have found this to be true.
stiiiiiiive wrote:It may have been me :)

I remember performing some tests and filtering the MIDI clock signal led to far better results.
Cheers I will look into this too.

Unfortunately I have far bigger problems though - I still seem to be having the dreaded 'possessed' dial issue with my two slim's (not my LP stage II though - that's always been solid).

I've been battling this for years (documented on this forum) and I thought it was fixed when I got an electrical engineer to mod the slims with new steel plates to block power supply radiation from the circuit boards. Turns out a couple of years later they're crazy again, and one is a bit crazier than the other. I wonder if it's something to do with the local NZ voltage inputting into the universal power supply?

Anyway, sorry to derail but it's frustrating! Between this and the note drop out issue (which now may not be an issue), I haven't been using the slim's and I'm considering trying to sell them maybe.

David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107