Sub 37 rumors/new features wishlist

Everything Sub.
LuthierMark

Re: Sub 37 rumors/new features wishlist

Post by LuthierMark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 am

I just love the editor, especially the way it makes life easy when working on a sound, giving me the ability to quickly store different versions of a patch. (Yeah, I'm nervous storing patches in the Sub 37 memory, alway worry that I accidentally overwrite some other awesome patch that I put a lot of work in)

Just a minor gripe here: Can you change the location where the Sub 37 editor stores/retrieves the sysex patches from '~/Library/Application support/Moog Music Inc./Sub 37' to '~/Documents/Moog Music Inc./Sub 37' , please? Or even better, make this user-configurable.

The reason is, I and maybe more users have patches for different kinds of hardware and software, and I would like to keep them together in the same place. Makes looking for and organizing patch libraries easier, and gives me more time to make music in stead of worrying about where I put that awesome patch file I downloaded.
"The thing is, to put a motor in yourself" fz

Moog Sub 37 1.2.0, Nord Modular Rack, Novation KSr,
Emagic Unitor8, Focusrite Saffire Pro40,
Logic Pro X 10.3, MacBook Pro Retina 11.2, macOS 10.12.3

breun

Post by breun » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:23 am

Just a minor gripe here: Can you change the location where the Sub 37 editor stores/retrieves the sysex patches from '~/Library/Application support/Moog Music Inc./Sub 37' to '~/Documents/Moog Music Inc./Sub 37' , please? Or even better, make this user-configurable.
You could create an alias pointing to the actual folder:

Finder > open the Go menu > click Go to folder... > ~/Library/Application Support/Moog Music Inc. > Select the Sub 37 folder > right click: Create alias (or cmd+L or File menu > Create alias).

You move the new alias to wherever you like (and rename it to whatever you like), for instance your Documents folder.

Instead creating an alias using Finder you could also create a symbolic link, if you're comfortable using the terminal.
Last edited by breun on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:53 am

JazzMasta wrote:
Andy.T wrote:...
This is a feature I would like to see implemented, as well as easier programming of SUBTLE pitch mod using Mod 2 Knob. Anything beyond just past centre is way too much.
Andy
+1

It's very difficult to add a touch of vibrato with the lfo:s without going into the menu and adding CTRL4 AMT to "calm down" the effect.
One shouldn't have to fiddle with controller menus just to get the mod wheel to do some _moderate_ vibrato!
Just a thought about that.

Clavia instruments feature pitchticks made of wood but that's not the interesting characteristic. The interesting one is that they are torsion sensitive devices, hence reacting more like guitar strings or any physical stuff you would stress, read: they don't have any dead range near zero. But even more interesting is the fact that they react in a way that is closer to exponential than linear. Not sure if this is due to physics or a software conversion effort from Clavia developpers.

That combination make those pitchbends more... real. It is easier to perform subtle vibratos as well as the usual obvious octave diving.

I've tried to control my LP with a Clavia keyboard once: I found the expressivity is way beyond regarding that pitchbend aspect.

MoogMusic, do you think possible to implement a exponential-like response to the pitchstick? (ahem... on the Little Phatty as I don't have any Sub ;) )

andow

Post by andow » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Mackenzie_NZ wrote:I'm sure it's been mentioned but I'd like to request feedback on the screen for parameter changes in relation to what they originally were before you touched the knob.

I'm sure like most people, I have sessions creating patches and sessions making tunes, when I bring up previously made patches in a tune making session and start messing with knobs to tweak the sound, it can be frustrating trying to find where the knob originally was, certain things like the filter is not a big deal but other things really have a sweet spot and it can take you out of the flow when trying to get that back (often I'm just jumping to another preset and then back to start again).

I think the way the Virus TI synth handles this on it's screen is good, it shows the original parameter setting on the left and what you're doing on the right so you can line them back up.

I'm loving the synth though!
Is there any chance this will get implemented? I'm sure it wouldn't be a lot of work...
I recently got a Prophet 6 and even this one has that function - and it just has three 7 segment digits. The dot just lights up whenever you match the preset value.

eltho

Post by eltho » Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 am

Yes, BPM-definable arpeggiator, please please please!!!

eltho

Post by eltho » Tue May 29, 2018 8:30 pm

yes, BPM display would be really really great!

andow

Post by andow » Thu May 31, 2018 7:24 am

andow wrote:
Mackenzie_NZ wrote:I'm sure it's been mentioned but I'd like to request feedback on the screen for parameter changes in relation to what they originally were before you touched the knob.

I'm sure like most people, I have sessions creating patches and sessions making tunes, when I bring up previously made patches in a tune making session and start messing with knobs to tweak the sound, it can be frustrating trying to find where the knob originally was, certain things like the filter is not a big deal but other things really have a sweet spot and it can take you out of the flow when trying to get that back (often I'm just jumping to another preset and then back to start again).

I think the way the Virus TI synth handles this on it's screen is good, it shows the original parameter setting on the left and what you're doing on the right so you can line them back up.

I'm loving the synth though!
Is there any chance this will get implemented? I'm sure it wouldn't be a lot of work...
I recently got a Prophet 6 and even this one has that function - and it just has three 7 segment digits. The dot just lights up whenever you match the preset value.
Pleeeease!

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:36 am

I sent an email about the parameter display and had a reply saying it’s been passed on to the relevant people so fingers crossed.

There is a workaround I’ve figured out: if you set the global pot mode to pass thru you can call up a preset and slowly turn the desired parameter knob until the asterisks indicating an edit are displayed. Press the preset number button again to recall the preset (removing the asterisks) and repeat the process for the next parameter. It’s a bit tedious and not 100% accurate but it gets you near.

andow

Post by andow » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:03 am

Quatschmacher wrote:I sent an email about the parameter display and had a reply saying it’s been passed on to the relevant people so fingers crossed.

There is a workaround I’ve figured out: if you set the global pot mode to pass thru you can call up a preset and slowly turn the desired parameter knob until the asterisks indicating an edit are displayed. Press the preset number button again to recall the preset (removing the asterisks) and repeat the process for the next parameter. It’s a bit tedious and not 100% accurate but it gets you near.
That's great news! I've mailed them months ago and never got a reply.... :?