Model D Reissue Pitch Wheel Mod (Like Grandmother!)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
earsmack

Model D Reissue Pitch Wheel Mod (Like Grandmother!)

Post by earsmack » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Having seen the Grandmother at Moogfest I was impressed with the new pitch wheel - it's spring loaded and easy to play - unlike the Model D (original and re-issue) - I think a mod for the Model D reissue pitch wheel to be just like that of the Grandmother would be a welcome addition to an otherwise fine instrument. Count me in as the first customer of such a mod. I rarely use the pitch wheel on my Model D reissue because the detent is too hard to subtly get out of and when you return there is still enough play in the wheel to cause a slight tuning issue.

Any chance of this happening? Please? :)
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

ummagumma

Re: Model D Reissue Pitch Wheel Mod (Like Grandmother!)

Post by ummagumma » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:05 am

someone here posted instructions on how to modify that, using a smaller nut, or filing it down?

a search should bring it up

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I've played with it since I had to have it replaced which gave me an opportunity to study how it works when swapping it out. The Grandmother feels really smooth though. The spring-loaded-ness is pretty nice. I'll search out the instructions but I think a Moog mod would be ideal.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:15 pm

For those searching, this is likely the thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28681&hilit=minimoog+pitch+wheel

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:51 pm

yes!! that's it

the gist of it is in the last post:

"And while I had the left section open, I get rid of the nut between the wheel holder and the tongue with the cone used to hold the pitchbend very tidt into the center possition. Now it isn‘t that stiff anymore. And still no random MIDI values sent in zero position."

pic:

mpaulcurreri

Post by mpaulcurreri » Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 pm

The Model D pitch wheel is so sad. I can’t imagine many people (even the purists) would have argued with an upgrade to the original design. “WTF, Moog! The original pitch wheel was useless, but this new one totally works like almost every other keyboard of the last 45 years! THIS SUCKS!” Such a beautiful instrument — such a missed opportunity.

It would be so brilliant of MOOG to develop a modernized (ha), spring-loaded replacement. I imagine an enormous percentage of reissue owners (like myself) would joyfully purchase the upgrade.