Model D midi question

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sub guy

Model D midi question

Post by sub guy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm

For any of you who have been controlling the Model D reissue via midi have you noticed that the clicking sound at the beginning of the attack is more pronounced than when using the keybed? I am getting an annoying clicking sound just at the attack when using my midi controller and it is bugging me.... Even if I increase the attack time to over 200 or 400 it is still pretty prominent. I DO hear the same sound when using the keybed on the D but it is less prominent. Why would midi make any difference?

Iaamusic

Re: Model D midi question

Post by Iaamusic » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:57 pm

I use midi too for the mini, most often when I’m doing a sequence, I have to say I can’t recall the click being any worse than using the keybed. I can’t this night why a note on would make a difference, I will look tomorrow when I’m in the studio to double check.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:54 pm

Iaamusic wrote:I use midi too for the mini, most often when I’m doing a sequence, I have to say I can’t recall the click being any worse than using the keybed. I can’t this night why a note on would make a difference, I will look tomorrow when I’m in the studio to double check.

Please do-- it would be massively helpful if I could confirm this issue on someone elses midi controller. It happens more often when playing faster or hitting a note multiple times quickly.

Minimooger

Post by Minimooger » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:16 am

sub guy wrote:
Iaamusic wrote:I use midi too for the mini, most often when I’m doing a sequence, I have to say I can’t recall the click being any worse than using the keybed. I can’t this night why a note on would make a difference, I will look tomorrow when I’m in the studio to double check.

Please do-- it would be massively helpful if I could confirm this issue on someone elses midi controller. It happens more often when playing faster or hitting a note multiple times quickly.
do u use velocity to control VCF / VCA?

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:52 am

Minimooger wrote:
sub guy wrote:

do u use velocity to control VCF / VCA?

Yes. I have it split between the two.

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:56 pm

Having done a auick test I played a series of notes stacatto with countour up so count envelope click, same sound with midi. Turned attack up on amp env no click on either. In all cases my midi sounded same as played. I did not have velocity or after touch cvs enabled.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:16 am

Iaamusic wrote:Having done a auick test I played a series of notes stacatto with countour up so count envelope click, same sound with midi. Turned attack up on amp env no click on either. In all cases my midi sounded same as played. I did not have velocity or after touch cvs enabled.

OK thanks for doing that. I do get a difference. Its not horrible but it is there.

Minimooger

Post by Minimooger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 am

sub guy wrote:
Iaamusic wrote:Having done a auick test I played a series of notes stacatto with countour up so count envelope click, same sound with midi. Turned attack up on amp env no click on either. In all cases my midi sounded same as played. I did not have velocity or after touch cvs enabled.

OK thanks for doing that. I do get a difference. Its not horrible but it is there.
yes but u have velocity enabled with the split cable . what if you try without that cable ?

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Fri May 04, 2018 11:10 am

this is the biggest fear of any mini owner...that the synth sounds different when "midified" or via midi.

i personally cant hear any difference with my mini reissue....but it surely is possible that there could be a difference in any mini