Minitaur Longevity

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
brow

Minitaur Longevity

Post by brow » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:31 pm

I'm curious how people feel about all the under the hood features that require an editor. at some point the minitaur will be discontinued and the editor software will stop being updated. how useful will these synths be once the new operating systems and devices stop being able to run older software? i mean if moog discontinues the minitaur tomorrow i would not be surprised if in 10 years the software won't run on the new computers.

stiiiiiiive

Re: Minitaur Longevity

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:19 am

Good question. Not a Minitaur owner but I'd like to point out a couple of things.

I've been using a Clavia G2 for 10+ years now; nothing is maintained about it, but still can use it.

Regarding the Minitaur, I guess the software is just an HMI for MIDI and SysEx capabilities, isn't it? If so, it can be replaced by many others applications, or even re-developed by the communitiy.
Just a guess though.

till

Post by till » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:13 am

All the under the hood features are controllable through standard MIDI CC commands.
So see what parameter is using which MIDI CC command, just use some software MIDI Monitor in parallel to your Minitaur Editor.

The only thing that needs a different approach is the sound manager. But there is always the possibility to send individual MIDI sysex strings to import or export sounds.

But will we have USB in 10 years? Will there be MIDI interfaces available in 10 years? We don't know. But many of the under the hood parameters are also accessible via the interface of the Minitaur hardware:
https://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... dendum.pdf
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

brow

Post by brow » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:57 am

good points. i would not be surprised if usb is no more in 10 years or at least usb would be all wireless.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:41 am

I’m using a MIDI interface from the 90’s and a laptop from 2003 to edit some of my synths.
Just because something gets discontinued doesn’t mean you have to stop using it.

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 pm

Even if the moog editor ceases to be updated, there are a few Max 4 Live devices that replicate it's functionality. The only thing I'd be a little bummed about is if the Librarian stopped functioning. It's a little tricky managing patches w/ out it.
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:52 pm

what nonsense! …the sky is NOT falling … Moog keeps on updating and supporting everything long after other products have hit the scene esp the Minitaur/Sirin which got a TON of new and exciting (firmware and) features and ecer expanding functionality years after I bought it THANK YOU AMOS!… I dont think you'll find better support anywhere. period. :D
brow wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:31 pm I'm curious how people feel about all the under the hood features that require an editor. at some point the minitaur will be discontinued and the editor software will stop being updated. how useful will these synths be once the new operating systems and devices stop being able to run older software? i mean if moog discontinues the minitaur tomorrow i would not be surprised if in 10 years the software won't run on the new computers.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:34 pm

I have some gear on old discontinued OS and "obsolete" hardware

everything works, and I spend my time making music, rather than figuring out why an update has broken something

I keep that stuff offline and isolated though, it's only used for recording.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:44 pm

ditto …but none of it really applies to MOOG that I can think of

I thought Catalina had broken the Voyager Software editor but they sent me a new version as soon as I asked

most of that built-in obsolescence we've all been forced to live with is in software …but I can think of several Hardware editors I keep on older Macs e.g. Tenori-On… Electribe… Waldorf NW1… man I wish Buchla would fix the iOS iCard WiFi/MIDI program card on the Easel(!!!) :x
I almost never use but still keep my big old metal MacPro which tbh I should probably take back to OSX 10.6.8 to run even older stuff- when I need something on it I can boot it and access via screen share from the network
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D