Buy a Model D in september ?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
discorules

Buy a Model D in september ?

Post by discorules » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:29 am

Hello,

I will go to NYC in late september and i would like to buy a Model D reissue. Do you think is it possible to still find it in the city at this time ? Could you suggested some shops to search besides B&H and Sam Ash ?

Thanks

Analog Prophet

Re: Buy a Model D in september ?

Post by Analog Prophet » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:08 am

I’m almost sure Moog will anounce at their web page when the last Model D finally is assembled at the factory and then is the last opportunity to grab the last batch of Model D. The second hand price of the Model D Reissue will probably go insanity as well as the old Model D has - but never buy an instrument as an investment but for the sake of love to music, sound and the instrument.

You might hack the stock at different onlin music stores and get a clue when the Model D start to fade from the shelf. I’m not a New Yorker but there is, or has been... at least Mainley and Guitar Center that might sell the Model D.

discorules

Post by discorules » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:36 am

I live in Brazil and i can't buy it online here, the customs taxes would make it more than doubled price. Bring it personally gives me the chance to reduce the customs taxes, so i'll have this opportunity in september, when i'll go to NY.

I can see it still available in some stores like B&H, but i'm not sure if within 6 months it will.

I know only the main music stores in the city (Sam Ash, Guitar Center, B&H). If some new yorkers could give me another options i would be very glad :)

Thanks

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:36 pm

The price tag in the States are always displayed without tax (VAT). It differs in different states between approximately 7-9 % and will be added.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:14 am

Sounds like you are visiting from abroad and are planning on taking back a lovely package as luggage?

There are not many music stores (that carry synths) left in NYC, certainly not with reseller/dealer relationships with Moog. I'm a bass player first and know of boutique outfits but they will not have synths and Manny's music (once directly across from SamAsh on Music row) is long gone. There a a number of Moog 'dealers' which are listed on Moog's commercial web site but most will only have Moogerfoogers (if you are lucky) or Minifoogers (most likely); some of the Euro Modular outfits are starting to sell Mother 32s.

I was born and raised in New York, live in Jersey now but work one train ride away from midtown so do get in often.

SamAsh is probably your best bet as they have a large keyboard department and everything on display. Call and ask the mgr how many they have in stock (if that is your plan). Ultimately, you can buy from Sweetwater (who most certainly will have stock) and have it shipped to your Hotel assuming you are going to be around for a week. I prefer Humbucker Music as I like to support the little guys (bought my Model 15 there). Also you can ship to me (I'm not kidding but understand that this is an outrageous suggestion). Don't worry, I already have a Minimoog (vintage) and a Model 15 and really don't have room for another synth LOL.

"in stock AND ready to ship" is a key set of words. Some (that make commitments) will actually drop ship from Moog and you don't want that if it's going to mean a delay or paperwork to be exchanged between your pay and their shipping.

You might want to invest in a road case if actually traveling back on plane. And if you are from Europe or the UK, maybe confirm to see that the external power supply will arrive with the appropriate adapters.

There are other retailers which carry Moog (though not all of what Moog sells) such as Guitar Center and they have a fair size store in lower midtown, but look no further than SamAsh on 34th.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

discorules

Post by discorules » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:22 pm

EMwhite wrote:Sounds like you are visiting from abroad and are planning on taking back a lovely package as luggage?

There are not many music stores (that carry synths) left in NYC, certainly not with reseller/dealer relationships with Moog. I'm a bass player first and know of boutique outfits but they will not have synths and Manny's music (once directly across from SamAsh on Music row) is long gone. There a a number of Moog 'dealers' which are listed on Moog's commercial web site but most will only have Moogerfoogers (if you are lucky) or Minifoogers (most likely); some of the Euro Modular outfits are starting to sell Mother 32s.

I was born and raised in New York, live in Jersey now but work one train ride away from midtown so do get in often.

SamAsh is probably your best bet as they have a large keyboard department and everything on display. Call and ask the mgr how many they have in stock (if that is your plan). Ultimately, you can buy from Sweetwater (who most certainly will have stock) and have it shipped to your Hotel assuming you are going to be around for a week. I prefer Humbucker Music as I like to support the little guys (bought my Model 15 there). Also you can ship to me (I'm not kidding but understand that this is an outrageous suggestion). Don't worry, I already have a Minimoog (vintage) and a Model 15 and really don't have room for another synth LOL.

"in stock AND ready to ship" is a key set of words. Some (that make commitments) will actually drop ship from Moog and you don't want that if it's going to mean a delay or paperwork to be exchanged between your pay and their shipping.

You might want to invest in a road case if actually traveling back on plane. And if you are from Europe or the UK, maybe confirm to see that the external power supply will arrive with the appropriate adapters.

There are other retailers which carry Moog (though not all of what Moog sells) such as Guitar Center and they have a fair size store in lower midtown, but look no further than SamAsh on 34th.
Thanks for the insights ! Yes, i'm planning to bring the Model D with my luggage. About buy a roadcase, i wonder if dispatch it inside the original box would be safer, as it's made to travel abroad. I already did it with a SubPhatty a couple of years ago and got it intact.

When the time is near (late august) i'll contact some dealers to check what are my best chances. So far the Model D is listed at 'in-stock' both in B&H and Sam Ash. Fingers crossed :D

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:36 pm

wow, a big place like NYC and it's hard to find a store with a minimoog in stock??

crazy....

if you were coming to Toronto, you'd be welcome to hold it at my place. But only if you brought up a bottle of this with you:

:D

PCM

Post by PCM » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:49 am

Armen's Music Shop
347 W 36th St, New York, NY 10018

This is the spot!