Using a Voyager with the new Roland TR-8S Triger out?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
meterman

Using a Voyager with the new Roland TR-8S Triger out?

Post by meterman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Been looking at this the last few days, was wondering if the Triger out from the TR-8S could be used in conjunction with the Voyager. Not sure what it would control or if it would do anything for me. Maybe LFO synch? Was hoping one of you more experienced folks could chime in. :D

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland/TR-8 ... adType^PLA

EMwhite

Re: Using a Voyager with the new Roland TR-8S Triger out?

Post by EMwhite » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:37 pm

I have a TR-09 and use it with a Sequential Circuits Pro-One; but the Voyager should behave similarly. I haven't seen the specs of the 8S but again, expect the same.

On the TR-09, there is an "instrument" which is the trig out. Simply, setup the track next to the drum tracks either as 16th 8ths, or some rhythmic pattern, then patch the trig out into the Gate input of your synth.

Trigger pulse widths are relatively short as compared to a 50% (or wider) duty cycle of a gate, so you'll either have to condition it with a trig delay or have your Voyager release envelope have a tail.

But yes, you can also use it to restart an LFO wave (sync) every so many beats.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Analog Prophet

Re: Using a Voyager with the new Roland TR-8S Triger out?

Post by Analog Prophet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 am

The TR-8S only send out a trigger signal (if same as other new Roland Rhythm machines) but no pitch (when use with a TB-03/TB-303 the TB has a sequencer controlling the pitch). An (analog) step sequencer (as MAQ 16/3 in my case, or a Dark Time or similar) is more versatile to trig and do various sequence stuff with the Voyager. But of course, the TR can trigger notes (don’t remember what pitch) and analog type percussion instruments on the Voyager.