SQ-1 ?!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Siddharth

SQ-1 ?!

Post by Siddharth » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:05 am

How do i use this thing. is there a way to plug cv out from the sq-1 to cv inputs on 104-m to create some kind of sound to sequence?

stiiiiiiive

Re: SQ-1 ?!

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Hello!

I'm going the naive way.
The SQ-1 does not produce any sound.
The MF104M does not produce any sound.

What exactly do you expect of the association of both?
What is that you want to do?

Siddharth

Post by Siddharth » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:37 pm

I would like to use the SQ -1. I'm quite inexperienced in the field of electronics and can't seem to figure out how to use it with anything i have at the moment. A MF-104M,MF-103,Data corrupter,monotron. i would like to learn though!

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:42 am

Siddharth wrote:I would like to use the SQ -1. I'm quite inexperienced in the field of electronics and can't seem to figure out how to use it with anything i have at the moment. A MF-104M,MF-103,Data corrupter,monotron. i would like to learn though!
i'm also not super versed in certain areas of the electrical what-nots of synths blah blah (i'm coming from guitar world and am learning over the 5 years and by reaching out here and experimenting) but hook that monotron up to your data corrupter and boom you got chaos! and then add 103 &104 and the chaos gets bigger! now here's where i can't for certain help you but i know that the sq-1 will operate cv from 1-8v or gate.... i haven't played with this really so if someone else wants to chime in please do so!! but if i'm not mistaken moog works in the realm of 5v so if you set the sq1 to that then maybe you can operate some of the cv parameters of either the 103 or 104 but really i'm stretching that because i haven't tried this.. so like i said this is where i'm still a nube. one part makes sense then 2 steps later i have no idea whats going on??
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Siddharth wrote:I would like to use the SQ -1.
Well, no offense but it's a bit like hearing "I have that schmurtz and want to use it, no matter what it does" :D

So, short, humble CV lesson!

Control Voltage, aka CV, was used by the pre-MIDI, analogue instruments for control and/or be controlled. Nowadays, at the time of the analogue revival we're glad to see, a number of instruments and effects can "speak this language" between them or with the old, vintage units.

The most common and easy-to-understand example is the pitch control. Several standards co-exist, but Moog uses the 1V/Octave standard, meaning that each time you add 1V to the controlling CV, the pitch rises by 1 octave. That entails that a 0 to 10V CV will enable an oscillator to span over 10 octaves (unless its design prevents that, like on the Minitaur...)

Now, other parameters of a synths or effects can be controlled through voltage, and your MoogerFoogers have such parameters. They are those that have their name printed in black-over-white on the rear panel. When you apply a CV in one of these inputs, its value is added to the value indicated by the mathching knob (or it replaces that settng, I cannot remember right now, but the manual will tell you). It means that the controlling signal is like an invisible hand turning the knob in a way that is reflected by the shape of the CV.

The SQ-1 procudes CV, hence being a candidate for such duties. The CV it produces is evolving from the value set to a given step to the next one, and so on. Like if the invisible hand was turning the knob from a value to the next very quickly (no transition time by default but that can change...) and at the pace of the tempo set on the SQ-1.

As you certainly know it, your MoogerFoogers won't poduce any sound but only affect the sound of the instrument you're sending into them.
So basically, what I would do, is send an instrument in those FX boxes, mess around to get a feeling of what paramater does what to the sound (sorry, I'm not sure at all of what you do know vs what you're new to). Once you're a bit familiar, try modulating (that's the word for: move a parameter's value) some parameter with the SQ-1 plugging it in.

Voilà. Hope this helps. This is just a starting point, the sky is the limit. Unless you go the full modular way, in which case your bank account is the limit :D
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Siddharth

Post by Siddharth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:41 am

Thanks a lot for the replies folks! Actually I have used the foogers with my guitar and exp pedals.
I might be wrong although the 104 does produce some of its own sounds without an instrument.
The rate and amount too can function without an instrument. This made me wonder whether a square wave could
function as some kind of gate/trigger and with time of delay or amount of the lfo being used for pitch.
So you do think its possible to somehow connect the sq-1 to the foogers i guess?!
@kn_s "hook that monotron up to your data corrupter"-How would that happen exactly? I know its possible to mod the monotron and also use that with an sq-1 although i would probably have to do that myself. completely new field for me though!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:18 am

Siddharth wrote:So you do think its possible to somehow connect the sq-1 to the foogers i guess?!
I'm not sure about how you poduce a pitched, controllable sound with the MF104 alone but what I meant by this:
stiiiiiiive wrote:It means that the controlling signal is like an invisible hand turning the knob in a way that is reflected by the shape of the CV.
...was: whatever interesting you do with a knob, you can have it done by a control voltage applied to that knob CV input.

And what I meant by this:
stiiiiiiive wrote:As you certainly know it, your MoogerFoogers won't poduce any sound but only affect the sound of the instrument you're sending into them.
So basically, what I would do, is send an instrument in those FX boxes, mess around to get a feeling of what paramater does what to the sound (sorry, I'm not sure at all of what you do know vs what you're new to). Once you're a bit familiar, try modulating (that's the word for: move a parameter's value) some parameter with the SQ-1 plugging
...was: YES, you can connect the SQ-1 and expect to hear what you've just done with the knobs.
Siddharth wrote:S@kn_s "hook that monotron up to your data corrupter"-How would that happen exactly?
I think just kn_s meant connect the audio out of the Monotron to the audio in of the FX pedal, just as you would do with your guitar.
kn_s, tell me if I misunderstood.

Siddharth

Post by Siddharth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:43 am

So i might need to carefully consider the voltage exchange between the two to not mess either up right?
Also a specific converter for the cables ?
got no patch cables at the moment!
Your not too sure how this might sound finally though?

Siddharth

Post by Siddharth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:47 am

still quite confused about it all in terms of the sq-1 have a stable controllable pitch to sequence coming from the 104.
sorry for the endless amount of questions! thanks for the advice and info though!
Last edited by Siddharth on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Siddharth

Post by Siddharth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:12 am

Basically the steps will exist once connected to the 104m and then depending on what parameters are being controlled things will happen?

Siddharth

Post by Siddharth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:17 am

wow i feel quite dumb trying to explain what exactly i need to know!
first time on a forum. so cool that it actually works also!

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:04 am

Siddharth wrote:How do i use this thing. is there a way to plug cv out from the sq-1 to cv inputs on 104-m to create some kind of sound to sequence?
Normally you would use the sq-1 to sequence a synth and then put the 104m on the output of the synth.
Your not going to get much by sequencing the 104m controls with nothing running through it. It’s for processing tones, not generating them.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:02 am

That.
I tried to explain that but you (Siddarth) explained me that you generated tones with the MF)104, so let it be.

Please consider re-reading my long post: I think enough is in there to answer your multiple questions :)
If not, feel free to ask again of course.

Just a reminder : the SQ-1 will produce CV and not audio signal. The MF as well. Hence you may need any instrument to inject sound in there Plus the SQ-1 is to connect into CV inputs and not audio inputs.

Siddharth

Post by Siddharth » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:35 am

So the sound i hear output from the 104m when no guitar is being played is CV ?
And if so why does it create so many sounds without a guitar?
I forgot to mention earlier that i also have an Akai synth. No software or laptop of my own yet as it crashed!
Will get one soon though! Also,what kind of parameters create pitch for a sq1 to work?
Will need more help once i get my laptop and software as I'm really new to all things digital and analog!

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:49 am

Siddharth wrote:So the sound i hear output from the 104m when no guitar is being played is CV ?
And if so why does it create so many sounds without a guitar?
No it's not CV your hearing.
If you still have a cable plugged into the input of the 104m , then that means your feeding it low level noise.
If you then crank the feedback the noise keeps getting fed back untill the delay self oscillates. You can modulate it with cv inputs or the lfo or by tweaking the knobs.
In short - your processing noise and that’s what your hearing.

If you have no cable connected to the input, then there is no signal and therefor nothing to process and you won’t get any sound no matter what you do with the cv.

If you are hearing your CV signals something is broken.It’s called Control Voltage because it’s used to control parameters and is not intended to be heard.
Just like if you could hear your fingers grasp the knobs while you tweak (control) them , then something would be wrong.