Update to MF-101 lowpass filter

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Quatschmacher

Update to MF-101 lowpass filter

Post by Quatschmacher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:08 am

If the folks at Moog ever decide to revise the MF-101 I’d love to see the following features added:

Inverted envelope sweep (either on a toggle switch or by making the “envelope” knob bipolar.

FX loop - it’d be so useful to be able to use my instrument’s original input signal to drive the filter sweep whilst applying the effect to octave and distortion pedals.

Finer control over the envelope sweep - it’d be nice to have dedicated knobs for the attack and decay (and potentially the sustain) portions of the envelope. It’d be nice to be able to do this without having to use the external control processor.

stiiiiiiive

Re: Update to MF-101 lowpass filter

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:45 am

Quatschmacher wrote:Inverted envelope sweep (either on a toggle switch or by making the “envelope” knob bipolar.
Indeed! :)
Quatschmacher wrote:FX loop - it’d be so useful to be able to use my instrument’s original input signal to drive the filter sweep whilst applying the effect to octave and distortion pedals.
This would not be a proper FX loop as there is only one processing in stake here. That being said, there is a mod for the envelope follower to be triggered by another signal than the audio input signal. Check this topic.
Quatschmacher wrote:Finer control over the envelope sweep - it’d be nice to have dedicated knobs for the attack and decay (and potentially the sustain) portions of the envelope. It’d be nice to be able to do this without having to use the external control processor.
This is an envelope follower and not a triggered envelope, hence not having any other sustain value than the input signal level. Attack and relaease times could be more or less "lagged", as using the CP251's lag processor, but that's all you'll be able to do. No ADSR in there!

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:07 am

I don’t quite follow why my suggestion wouldn’t be a proper FX loop. I’m thinking of the same thing as found in the Wonderlove by 3Leaf audio. There’s a send and return jack from the pedal; my bass’s signal is what drive the filter sweep and the filter is applied to whatever is plugged into the loop.

I realise it’s not a triggered envelope. (Is there a device which does this from audio? If not, could there be one?) Even if it’s just lagged that’d be a bonus. It’d be nice to have more than just fast and slow and a few other filters have this capability (though without the lovely Moog sound).

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 am

Quatschmacher wrote:I don’t quite follow why my suggestion wouldn’t be a proper FX loop. I’m thinking of the same thing as found in the Wonderlove by 3Leaf audio. There’s a send and return jack from the pedal; my bass’s signal is what drive the filter sweep and the filter is applied to whatever is plugged into the loop.
You're right, my mistake. I was limiting the loop concept to external feedback loop without thinking about send-return loop.
The mod dscribed in the topic I linked above allows what the Wonderlove allows, only you'd have to duplicate your signal by your own means prior to get to the MF101 inputs (gate in and audio in).
Quatschmacher wrote:I realise it’s not a triggered envelope. (Is there a device which does this from audio? If not, could there be one?) Even if it’s just lagged that’d be a bonus. It’d be nice to have more than just fast and slow and a few other filters have this capability (though without the lovely Moog sound).
Trigged envelopes do exist: the EHX Microsynth has one. That being said, I'm not sure they exist as independent devices, i.e. not being hardwired to a filter, phase shifter etc as long as we are talking pedals, since modular manufacturers certainly propose some.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 am

Cool, thanks for the info. I knew there was a reason I should check the EHX pedal.

I had another idea, which I’m not sure exists already (if it does, please point me in its direction). It is to have a device which takes my audio input signal, sends audio out, which I could send to the external in of a Minitaur or equivalent, and which also outputs a gate signals so that I could trigger the Minitaur’s envelopes. If this device had some kind of noise gate/filtering combo then one could tweak it so that it only triggers the notes intended (as opposed to every little string bump). I got close with the Sonuus G2M as that triggered MIDI and I could turn off the oscillators so that it just triggered the envelope. Sadly there wasn’t much by way of tweakability so it triggered when I didn’t want it to.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:17 pm

No pedal that I think about right now. I guess a Korg X911 or MS20 would be overkill, as well as a tiny modular system.
You may want to ssearch amongst for pedals with trigged envelopes the few units with a CV out... probably few but hey! :)

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:50 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:No pedal that I think about right now. I guess a Korg X911 or MS20 would be overkill, as well as a tiny modular system.
You may want to ssearch amongst for pedals with trigged envelopes the few units with a CV out... probably few but hey! :)
Thanks for the heads-up on the MS-20 mini - I’ll definitely give that a go!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Please tell us your impressions :)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:11 pm

...and I've just remember something: check the SonicSmith's Squaver P1 and Convertor : )

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:47 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:...and I've just remember something: check the SonicSmith's Squaver P1 and Convertor : )
Holy cow! Thanks for pointing these out! I’m definitely going to have to give these a go. If it works it could replace quite a bit of my bass pedal setup! I really appreciate your help!

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Hope it'll work for you!
I ordered the Squaver last night. I’ll let you know how I get on. Thanks again for drawing my attention to it.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm receiving one soon too... ; )

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:32 pm

How are you finding the Squaver? I’m having a few issues with it making noises by itself. It’s a shame as it’s pretty cool otherwise.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:04 pm

My experience is that I was a bit disappointed at first, because of its chattyness. I must say a second chance led to better results. Her what I've learnt so far.

Input settings:
Best results are obtained with IP and LPF settings at full left, in order to switch off that damn -48dB LED ; )
That being said, my Voyager OS must have some floor noise because it won't let the LED off, while my Little Phatty will work much better.
I tried to use a Fender Jaguar and the lack of sustain made me think a compressor would be useful... untill I disconnected the envelope from the VCA: then the oscillator would sound at full level as long as the gate is open. Which is wild!

Pitch tracking:
With the settings described above, the tracknig is better. Another point to remember is that the purer the control input signal, the better the tracking. With a sawtooth waveform unfiltered, it sometimes jumps from an octave to the other, or just goes out. Filter the wave and it becomes more accurate. Actually, your input signal shall have a strong fondamental with respect to its harmonics. For real dirty tracking, try to increase the resonance of the filter of your input synth and sweep its cutoff frequency.

Soundwise:
I find the filter sounds good and the setting desgin makes it possible to layer three octaves of square waves. Reminds me of some good ol' synth out there ;)
Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to patch it as I still don't hav eany minijack patch cables.

Voilà. Some other forum members I know had the same experience, so I encourage you to try it a couple of times more before deciding whether it should stay or go back to Poland.