Greatly extended pitch antenna range

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
HarryJS

Greatly extended pitch antenna range

Post by HarryJS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:56 am

Hi all!

I want to know if it is do-able to greatly extend the distance sensitivity of a theremin. Years ago I made an art-work which is five and a half feet tall, made of wood and perspex and already has a theremin built into it. I have always wanted to make it more interactive; when approached (by one person at a time) lights and audio volume increase in a linear fashion. Ideally I would like pitch and volume to start increasing five to eight feet away. Apologies if this info is already out there but I have spent half a day trying to find posts on this site but have only found cryptic references to experiments that people were doing years ago by RStheremin and Torceador claiming this sort of distance , but also other posts saying that there is a maximum of two feet realisticly achievable. I could use ultrasonic detectors, but they are too directional and all the circuits I've seen give a stepped output rather than a linear response. I had given up on the idea of using the theremin and was looking at using an x-box Kinect, but that involves programming which I hate and I would dearly love to keep everything analogue and use the magic of the ether, which is kind of what the art-work is about. The theremin is used for sci-fi sound effects (with a digital delay) rather than for music. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks. p.s. I do have a fair bit of experience with electronics.
Last edited by moderator on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted link

Adoltheremin

Re: Greatly extended pitch antenna range

Post by Adoltheremin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:51 am

Hi, I do not know if I can help you, but with the Theremini model you can configure that you do not have a sound cut system when you separate from the 1.5-foot one you ask for when you set it up. if you leave it OFF it gives you a lot of range range of the antenna.