Moog Voyager Problems

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
dasystem

Re: Moog Voyager Problems

Post by dasystem » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:17 pm

misterpete wrote:very much looks like this is what just happened to my White Voyager XL and it cost me over $1600 Canadian :cry:
[650+ cdn UPS to ship back to asheville and 700+ US to repair and ship back :oops: ]

behaviour occurred while paging through the Master menu and doing a Factory Reset and Restore Factory Sounds but after reading this I think that timing must be coincidental and everything just failed as per this list
:?:

Was it digital or analog board failure? What a disaster, they used faulty parts then we get to pay for the defect, so much for lovingly hand made mumbo Jumbo

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:25 pm

MOOG told me they were not 100% sure why it failed. I know it looked vanilla clean inside to my untrained eyes with nothing obviously screwed up when I checked before sending it back to them
they replaced both boards and a bunch of ribbon cables and said they had never seen anything like it before:
"I replaced the right front panel PCB, as well as the digital board, and several ribbon cables. I’m only charging dealer cost for these parts, to try to keep the price down some. Once we got the operating system working again, I noticed that the Analog board was also having some issues, but your Voyager was in the range for a free replacement analog board, so I replaced it and finally tuned the unit."

dasystem wrote:
misterpete wrote:very much looks like this is what just happened to my White Voyager XL and it cost me over $1600 Canadian :cry:
[650+ cdn UPS to ship back to asheville and 700+ US to repair and ship back :oops: ]

behaviour occurred while paging through the Master menu and doing a Factory Reset and Restore Factory Sounds but after reading this I think that timing must be coincidental and everything just failed as per this list
:?:

Was it digital or analog board failure? What a disaster, they used faulty parts then we get to pay for the defect, so much for lovingly hand made mumbo Jumbo
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

JnGd

Post by JnGd » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 am

just want to apologize to dasystem for what I wrote on p.1...
MoogMusic do need your reply as well to continue to perform...
feel bad about that...
to much boose that day...

Jean

dasystem

Post by dasystem » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:06 am

JnGd wrote:just want to apologize to dasystem for what I wrote on p.1...
MoogMusic do need your reply as well to continue to perform...
feel bad about that...
to much boose that day...

Jean
Where u at moog? Help your supporters out out. We dropped mucho thousands that could have gone elsewhere

weary

Post by weary » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi!
Today I turned on my Voyager, and OMG, there’s no sound from main out or headphones out, and no reaction on LFO knob.
Here’s the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nRzz3hljGM

Is there any chance to save my friend?
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

RL

Post by RL » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi weary,
are you sure LOCAL is on?
Could you connect the MIDI in to MIDI out with a cable?
Is then the MIDI LED on when you turn a pot or hit a key?
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

weary

Post by weary » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:29 am

RL wrote:Hi weary,
are you sure LOCAL is on?
Yes, LOCAL is ON.
RL wrote:Could you connect the MIDI in to MIDI out with a cable?
Is then the MIDI LED on when you turn a pot or hit a key?
Doesn’t work. No reaction. Also there is no reaction on external sequencer :?
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:17 am

It’s important to remember that MOOG does not hand make every resistor or other minor component, and that flawed components from suppliers can fail prematurely. Mine came perfect in the box new, went wacky, was in the replacement range, I swapped out the analog board they sent as a replacement, following their detailed instructions, and it’s worked perfectly ever since. I sent back the old board at their expense.

How much better customer service and pride in their product could they have had? It was new in 2013 and is a joy to play and make sounds with.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

RL

Post by RL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:28 am

weary wrote:Doesn’t work. No reaction. Also there is no reaction on external sequencer :?
Then it does not send notes or any informations to the MIDI out jack?
This sounds strange for me.
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

weary

Post by weary » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Hey, everybody! Good news here!
Moog Music sent me a new mother board for free!
My Voyager is singing again!

But! There’s one problem with Mod Wheel. It doesn’t work.
And the most interesting is that if I use Mod Wheel Out on my VX-351, if i turn the Mod Wheel control voltage on the ModWheelOut changes.
All local parametres are ON.
Any ideas?

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Anybody else have their warranty-repaired main board go bad a SECOND time? Apparently some components used in (or left on) the replacement boards were faulty as well. Trying to sort this out with Moog, but man, am I unhappy with them now.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:41 am

well that really sucks!!

good luck with the fix...if you find which components went south, would be good to post so everyone is aware

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Got an RMA. Hope it gets sorted for good this time.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:22 am

Well, in addition to the main board, the connections to the input jack panel were loose and that made the screen look like gibberish and the synth not play even after reinstalling a known good main board. I reseated a red connector on the input jack board, and all good.

Analog Prophet

Post by Analog Prophet » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:27 am

Thanks for the follow up, happy it is fixed!