New Moog Voyager XL

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
microwerx

New Moog Voyager XL

Post by microwerx » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:35 pm

I heard Sweetwater was getting some new Moog Voyager XLs at the beginning of the year...so I ordered one. Anyone have some ideas for must have accessories?
- my synths: moog voyager xl, moog sub 37, moog theremini, roland fa-08, and roland se-02

Markyboard

Re: New Moog Voyager XL

Post by Markyboard » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:00 pm

An audio cable?
:D

Also patch cables and an expression pedal (or 2).

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 am

The audio delay moogerfooger, the boost minifooger, and the overdrive minifooger. I have those three tapped into my XL, and those along with the patch bay will open up an entire world of possibilities.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:38 pm

I like using the MIDIMurf in the mixer loop. Unfortunately it is discontinued.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:02 am

DeckardTrinity wrote:The audio delay moogerfooger, the boost minifooger, and the overdrive minifooger. I have those three tapped into my XL, and those along with the patch bay will open up an entire world of possibilities.
I have some TC, EHX, and Dr. Scientist gear I really like using with my guitars and Sub 37...that should be pretty sweet sounding.
- my synths: moog voyager xl, moog sub 37, moog theremini, roland fa-08, and roland se-02

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:07 am

Markyboard wrote:An audio cable?
:D

Also patch cables and an expression pedal (or 2).
I ordered 8 extra TRS patch cables, but I hear the XL comes with some...any idea how many?

And so totally looking forward to the stereo filters...

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:58 am

MC wrote:I like using the MIDIMurf in the mixer loop. Unfortunately it is discontinued.
Played with one for the first time when I visited Moog in April. Had to have it and so spent stupid money on a used one soon after.
No regrets; ya wins some, ya pay some.

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 am

hmmm...well, maybe it's a maybe. I noticed Sweetwater is listing the XL as no longer available; whereas it was available when I ordered it...

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:56 am

rather, I should say, was going to be available in a few weeks when I ordered it.

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:30 am

So, i'm not going to worry about it. I've waited years to get one, and we'll see how it turns out. it's kinda funny how you're working hard and waiting to get something for years, and then the production stops.

So, I'm curious from the rest of the members here, any insights of how voyagers are being used in new ways than they were expected to be used? I tried searching youtube, but i feel like all the videos there are about how the voyager is different from the model d ... which has resulted in a bunch of comparisons of oscillators and filters, but very little music making.

I'm really excited about sound design myself. i'm dreaming of more jamming outside the box, and creating cool blips and bleeps for video games and stuff. My goal for the voyager xl is to be able to design neat sounds and also for combining it with the sub 37 to create some really nice compositions.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:11 am

microwerx wrote:So, I'm curious from the rest of the members here, any insights of how voyagers are being used in new ways than they were expected to be used? I tried searching youtube, but i feel like all the videos there are about how the voyager is different from the model d ... which has resulted in a bunch of comparisons of oscillators and filters, but very little music making.
Well... there's a ton of Voyager-related stuff on KnobTweak, including patches, tips & tricks, interesting ways to incorporate Moogerfoogers, etc. You should check it out.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 am

+1 for Knobtweaks, I found a lot of really useful docs & instructions there!

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:23 pm

That sounds good. I'll check it out. In the mean time, it looks like my order is still good to go. It's exciting that I'll get one of the last ones ever made. I can't think of another synthesizer that provides the same kind of experience in one box.

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 pm

I took a look at the KnobTweak site and cool. It looks mainly like a repository of files for a whole host of Moog stuff like presets, os updates and stuff. That looks like a great place to contribute. Thanks for the invite.

microwerx

Post by microwerx » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:44 am

So while I'm waiting, I asked my wife for an "appetizer" and ordered a Roland SE-02 to tide me over for a bit, can't wait to see what it's like. I'm really looking forward to the square wave oscillators. That's one thing that I wish the variable wave on my sub 37 would do is maintain a classic square wave, otherwise the wave is perfectly formed at one frequency, but then loses its shape at other frequencies. However, if I use the sub oscillator, then it's just amazing square wave through and through.