Keith McMillen QuNexus + KMI MIDI Expander + Minitaur

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
ARNKUS

Keith McMillen QuNexus + KMI MIDI Expander + Minitaur

Post by ARNKUS » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Has anyone had any success connecting the Minitaur with these devices without using a DAW?

The QuNexus has a “Midi Expander” Micro USB slot that connects to the “Expander” USB port on the MIDI Expander box. The box also has a wall wort/USB power supply and a 5-pin DIN MIDI In and Out port.

Of course the Minitaur having MIDI In only with regard to the DIN connector, it would seem the MIDI Out from the KMI box would go to the Minitaur MIDI In. With this setup, the Minitaur is unresponsive with no MIDI signal coming in.

I was under the impression that the MIDI Expander cable would pass MIDI info from the QuNexus keyboard to the MIDI Out port on the KMI box to the DIN out into the Minitaur. I must be incorrect, but this is what the instructions suggest.

Kind regards

SnWnMe

Re: Keith McMillen QuNexus + KMI MIDI Expander + Minitaur

Post by SnWnMe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:55 am

I use a 12 Step but for a non Moog device and it seems that you have the connections correct. Mini USB from KMI to Expander Box, regular USB B to power wart, MIDI OUT from that box to Minitaur MIDI IN. Maybe double check the MIDI OUT and IN to make sure you are connected right? I noticed that they are reversed in position from what I am used to in the back panel of most synths and I remember connecting them wrong at least once because I wasn't looking and just assumed that the Out is on the right and the In is on the left. Other than that you can reach out to KMI who are very responsive IME.