Minimoog Switch discoloration

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
normhart

Minimoog Switch discoloration

Post by normhart » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:09 am

Is there some kind of miracle cleaner that can bring back the original color to these switches? Much as I find the two tone look amusing, I’d still prefer the original color!

On another note, I was noodling around the other day and stumbled onto this talkbox-like patch that has a cool human voice sounding effect. Use the Modulation wheel to do the articulations.
FILTER
Filter Modulation: On
Keyboard Control 1 & 2: Off
Cutoff: -4
Emphasis: 7
Amount of Contour: 2
Attack Time: 400 msec
Decay Time: 400 msec
Sustain Level: 0

LOUDNESS CONTOUR
Attack Time: 0 msec
Decay Time: 800 msec
Sustain Level: 5

MIXER
VCO 1: On
VCO 2: Off
VCO 3: Off (LFO Mode modulating filter)

OSCILLATOR BANK
OSCILLATOR 1: Sawtooth
RANGE: 16’
OSCILLATOR 3: Square
RANGE: 2’
FREQUENCY: 8

OSC. 3 CONTROL: Up
OSCILLATOR MODULATION: Off

MOD WHEEL : Dynamic Control

PS: You may need to adjust some of the settings as my Minimoog is a ‘77 and I’m not sure how far Off specification it may have drifted over 40 years. But the general settings should get you in the ballpark.
Attachments
25E96188-F49C-40CC-90A2-2EBF79C42DBE.jpeg

MC

Re: Minimoog Switch discoloration

Post by MC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:15 am

I'm afraid you're stuck with the discoloration.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

normhart

Post by normhart » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:06 am

Here’s what that patch sounds like in case anyone’s interested:

https://soundcloud.com/norman-hartendorp/minimoog-2

Tom Liberatore

Post by Tom Liberatore » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:11 am

Wild! Good job.
Hammond XK-5, A-100, Voyager RME, Leslie 3300, Studiologic Sledge (yellow)

normhart

Post by normhart » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:02 am

Glad you liked it. Here’s a similar alien noises one I did a few years ago with Animoog. This one sounds more effective thru headphones since there’s a lot of panning & stereo effects :)

https://soundcloud.com/norman-hartendor ... sday-night

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:58 am

hi normhart, i have done some work on restoring uv-affected switch colors. i wrote a post on my blog about it, take a look at the last few pics where i brought back the blue switch tops from a greenish color back to the original blue...might help you.

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... ne-yellow/

Cheers,
Blackout

normhart

Post by normhart » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks Blackout. Those are very impressive results and are exactly what I was looking for -great work! I saw a video somewhere that restored old plastic computer cases that had similar uv related marring. This is what made me believe that it was possible to restore discoloration.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:07 pm

great preset @normhart!
On our new unit I opened up the filter to -3 and introduced a little bit of noise on the modulation mix at 1 (Osc 3 and Noise positions, on the black modulation rocker switches) so one could feel the vocalisation with the mod wheel

regarding the decoloration, I understand it will take much more time to happen when not exposed to direct sunlight?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

normhart

Post by normhart » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:29 pm

By all means, go all out on those settings. Those initial settings I made are definitely made to be tweaked. One odd note, I tried using these settings on my iMini iPad app and got nowhere near the sound I got on the hardware. I figure the model Arturia used had a different response compared with mine, or maybe just my 40 year old instrument drifted somewhat from what it sounded like out of the box in 1976/77.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:05 pm

You really need the UV light of the sun. The whole process and chemical reaction requires it.

A few guys have tried putting them under their lizard tank UV light and it *kinda* works.. but not as well and requires twice as long. It’s not as full spectrum.

normhart

Post by normhart » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:07 am

Yes, this was done on the video I saw of an Amiga 500 computer case and keyboard restored to perfect original condition.