Any quircks or regrets on getting a Subsequent 37?

Everything Sub.
The Man machine

Any quircks or regrets on getting a Subsequent 37?

Post by The Man machine » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:41 pm

On the fence of getting either the Sub or Subsequent.

Anything you want to share to make the choice easier?

Also thought of the Sub Phatty but I find it a bit too compromised as a main synth. No sequencer, aftertouch, two octaves, menu diving.

Any thoughts will be appreciated, TIA.

macsaif

Re: Any quircks or regrets on getting a Subsequent 37?

Post by macsaif » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:01 pm

I have the same problem. Upgrade or not.... Only the keys or full upgrade?

In the service I have got an information that it is some kind of Fatar keybed but I am mot sure. If the keybed is much better it is worth of 150USD, if it is just better, I am not sure.

My biggest question is wether I will be able to reproduce all of my existing/used sounds from the Sub 37. The more headroom in mixer section means that I can not have that amount of distortion in mixer section as in Sub 37?
Can it be replaced by the higher distortion in the multidrive section or it is a total different type of distortion?
Sometimes I miss the clean sounds, however I will miss some sounds if they can not be reproduced.

Frank

JonLukas

Post by JonLukas » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:13 pm

I am a former owner of a Sub 37. I really didn't like the keybed, and between that and having issues when having send it in for the filter pot repair, I sold it.

When the Subsequent came out (non-CV), I ordered it right away. I am quite happy with it. The keybed is now quite usable. Not sure it is Fatar. It seems to be perhaps the same keybed with different spring tensions. It does not feel like a whole different keybed, but it goes from unusable in the Sub 37 to quite usable in the Subsequent.

I am happy with the updated sound. I really like the clean sounds, and also it seems the noise floor is lower (though I haven't checked carefully). There is definitely lots of overdrive available, but I can't say for sure if you'd be able to match sounds from the Sub 37 to the Subsequent. But there is nothing about the Subsequent that ever makes me wish I had the older sound engine.
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

macsaif

Post by macsaif » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:47 am

I would welcome if Moog would say more details about the new keybed. The difference has to be more than 37 springs (for 150USD).
Is the sound more open and contains more higher harmonics or the filter cuts off the higher frequencies same way? I have seen in some forum that the SSQ has less less low end, do you feel that the sound is thinner than on S37?

The Man machine

Post by The Man machine » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:51 am

macsaif wrote:I would welcome if Moog would say more details about the new keybed. The difference has to be more than 37 springs (for 150USD).
Is the sound more open and contains more higher harmonics or the filter cuts off the higher frequencies same way? I have seen in some forum that the SSQ has less less low end, do you feel that the sound is thinner than on S37?
Have seen a video to demonstrate the difference in sound.

I think with the Subsequent they want to make sound a tad more Minimoog.

There is imho no better or worse than just being slightly different.

A higher end keybed is of course always a welcome addition.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:08 pm

I own a Sub37, I know the sound very well (and love it). From what I've heard on videos, particularly the Corey Henry one, is that the Subsequent sounds much better in Duo mode. The added headroom really makes a difference there. On the other hand, pushing the filter with the oscillators sounds better on the Sub, to my ears. That might have something to do with the extended headroom as well. I'd like to play a Subsequent before I decide if I want to change my Sub - I'm happy with the keyboard, and I wish they had an option to upgrade the electronics and leave the keyboard alone.

Speedball

Post by Speedball » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:35 am

Just sold my Sub Phatty to get the Subsequent 37 cv instead. I was hoping to get a "sub phatty on stereoids", but it seems that the 37 doesn't have the same 'phatness' as the Phatty. It sound brighter, and thinner.

Several knobs are also a bit wobbly which is lowering the high quality feeling. I had the Phatty for just over a year, and its knobs were solid.

I'm still considering giving up the 37 and try some other synth in the same price range, like the Matrix Brute.
I loved the sound of the Phatty, but the 37 doesn't seem to get there.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:52 am

Speedball wrote:I was hoping to get a "sub phatty on stereoids", but it seems that the 37 doesn't have the same 'phatness' as the Phatty. It sound brighter, and thinner.
Interesting.
I've been playing a Little Phatty for 6 years now, and a Sub Phatty for 4 years. I prefer the LP's sound to the Sub's and thought the S37 would sound identical -same sound engine. But hey, here are some news! Thanks for sharing :)

Want it fat? Try a LP or Slim. I know, only 4 knobs... but give the interface a chance.

The Man machine

Post by The Man machine » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 am

Speedball wrote:Just sold my Sub Phatty to get the Subsequent 37 cv instead. I was hoping to get a "sub phatty on stereoids", but it seems that the 37 doesn't have the same 'phatness' as the Phatty. It sound brighter, and thinner.

Several knobs are also a bit wobbly which is lowering the high quality feeling. I had the Phatty for just over a year, and its knobs were solid.

I'm still considering giving up the 37 and try some other synth in the same price range, like the Matrix Brute.
I loved the sound of the Phatty, but the 37 doesn't seem to get there.
Yes that is what I heard as well, they want to make the Subsequent sound a bit more like the minimoog, better in the mix if you wish.

Also noodled the Sub Phatty but they keybed was dissapointing, expected a bit more from a Moog premium brand.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 am

I have to say the keybed of the LP is far from ideal. Better examples are the Voyager Old School’s (mine is around s/n #5XX) or the Clavia G2’s, the latter most probably being a Fatar. I may be due to the aftertouch presence.

Speedball

Post by Speedball » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Is there a difference in 'phatness' between the Tribute edition and the Subsequent, or do they sound the same in the low end?

umami

Post by umami » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 am

Low end is basically identical. The SS37 has a crisper high end. The Sub37TE is described as having a "darker" sound because of this.

Animalbeats

Post by Animalbeats » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:09 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:
Speedball wrote: I've been playing a Little Phatty for 6 years now, and a Sub Phatty for 4 years. I prefer the LP's sound to the Sub's
Hi

How does the LP and the SP sound differ, as I want to change my SP for the LP, I just have a feeling....?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Well, the differences I've noticed because of my playing (and not A-B'ing them) are the following (not talking about specs but sound only here):

- The Sub's oscillators are definitely steadier, instant. Point to the LP for me, I feel it has more life.
- The Sub's filter sound kind of thinner to me. It's strange because I know some videos show them side by side and they don't show exactly that. Maybe the fact I often mix oscillators loud (over 50%) is in question here, as the mixer allows for more filter overdrive in the Sub. Not sure who gets this point.
- The LP's Overload circuit has more a rock'n'roll character than the MultiDrive. It has more meat. Point to the LP for me.
- The LP envelopes max release is longer. I need it for one song at least. Point to the LP to me.

All in all, the Sub sound often too modern to me. I mainly play rock and like when it's a bit dusty, rough. The LP is all that in a straight forward way. Add it a dirt box and you can even access guitarish textures. Love it!

Voilà :)

The Man machine

Post by The Man machine » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:12 am

Thanks everybody,

Since two days I am the proud owner of a Subsequent.

Totally happy with it and even dry (no FX) it sounds amazing.