Theremini wirth Garageband

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Harry B

Theremini wirth Garageband

Post by Harry B » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi,

I have an theremini and would like to use it with garageband.
Can I use the midi-signal via USB to control an synthesizer in garageband?
In audio-midi setup appears the theremini, there is no problem. But it takes no effect in garageband when I create an new track.
Any idea?

Greetings from germany
Harry

d'ni

Re: Theremini wirth Garageband

Post by d'ni » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:53 am

hi harry,
i abandoned the theremini from my setup, because i tried the same as you and never had success. there is no note on/off function from the theremini, and that's the stupid part of it. the theremini internal setup gives you two midi cc# for the two antennas. one goes for volume and one goes for pitch bend. maybe setup a drone-sound in garageband and control it's pitch and volume? or with a sequencer... somehow, you have to keep the gate open, so you can control pitch and volume.
after all, i returned to the good old etherwave-plus and use a kenton cv-midi converter, a absolutely brillant device with lots of features.
but:recently, i ordered a open-theremin V3 for just 74 €, which can be easily turned into a general midi device, plays animoog and all other ios synths, and of course all garageband/logic sw-instruments. :lol:
aber hallo, das ding rockt!
wish i could be of more help.

Harry B

Post by Harry B » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi d’ni,
thanks for your reply.
I saw this "www.youtube.com/watch?v=70b91Pc25mc" at youtube. The Theremini is working as USB-midi-controller. I am confused...

d'ni

Post by d'ni » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:05 pm

You don't have to be confused, it's obvious in that video, that the notes are triggered by the keyboard and not by the theremini. quote:.."Notes are being triggered with an Korg MicroKEY controller."
To keep the gate open you could tape a key down and have both hands free! Or anything that keeps the gate high. Then, there is a lot you can do with those two antennas (volume,pitch,filtering....) but no note on/off. You could also reverse the volume side by a revesed calibration of the volume side resulting in a much smoother response. On the other side, sending midi-cc into the theremini is quite fun! 4expl.: a lfo on wavescan or on the delay-time....