Voyager - I can't get aftertouch vibrato!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
stevehunt

Voyager - I can't get aftertouch vibrato!

Post by stevehunt » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:52 am

Hi, can someone with a Voyager keyboard help me please. I'm getting modulation when I don't think I should be.... Have I got a fault or am I doing something wrong? I've set the 'Pedal/On' buss as follows: Source LFO triangle, Dest Pitch, Shaping Pressure, Amount low. I expect that with no aftertouch I would get no vibrato but I get some, determined by the Level knob. As I increase pressure I get more vibrato which is fine, but I'd expect to get none with no pressure. Isn't the 'Shaping' parameter a multiplier, so that with no input (pressure in this case) I'd get no modulation? So I don't seem to be getting multiplication, I'm getting adding and multiplying together.
Same with Local off and a different keyboard used for playing and aftertouch. Same for all patches. Thanks

ummagumma

Re: Voyager - I can't get aftertouch vibrato!

Post by ummagumma » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:16 pm

*edit* deleted previous

just checked: mine works the same way

unless the "amount" knob is at 0, I will get some vibrato even with the lightest key press

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:33 am

The behavior you expect is the one I observe on my VOS.

It seems the aftertouch is not well calibrated. Haven't Voyagers been made with two different keybeds over their production life? Maybe one of them is less relaible in terms of aftertouch.

till

Post by till » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:27 am

There very same is happening here:
even the lightest touch will get some vibrato.

When you set both EGs release times to some thing rather long, you will get the unwanted vibrato even when no fingers are on the keys anymore.
So there is something wrong.
Maybe some calibration is needed.

I got an earlier Voyager with a Fatar keybed and the Lintronic aftertouch modification.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

MC

Post by MC » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:08 pm

I vaguely remember there's a couple of tricks to get AT to work correctly. Will check my unit later.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

MC

Post by MC » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:53 pm

The secret is to use pot mapping from the Edit menu. Source is Pressure, Destination is Mod Wheel, set Amount to taste.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 pm

MC wrote:The secret is to use pot mapping from the Edit menu. Source is Pressure, Destination is Mod Wheel, set Amount to taste.
I can't believe how easy that was, thank you!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

stevehunt

Post by stevehunt » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:11 am

Thanks all!!

I used to have an Old School and I think that did behave differently which isn't a big surprise.

Thanks I've tried the trick with the pot mapping. It's a bit weird but at least I can get vibrato now only when I use aftertouch :) It only works for me when I set amount to 100% and I have to dial in the required amount of vibrato with the mod wheel. If I use 50% or 25% then I am back to Square One and have vibrato all the time...
Cheers

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:19 pm

wouldn't it be easier to just use the "amount" knob on the mod bus?

when I have that dialed to 0 I get no vibrato

MC

Post by MC » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:27 pm

ummagumma wrote:wouldn't it be easier to just use the "amount" knob on the mod bus?

Doesn't work.

The circuit for shaping only works with CVs between 0 and 5V. Most modulation sources in the Voyager work between (-)5V and (+)5V. To accommodate, the AMOUNT knob includes a bias as you turn it up so that modulation sources are not clipped (modulation source never go below zero in the circuit). This is a compromise with sources like pressure, in that turning up the AMOUNT knob also includes a DC bias, which is why configuring it using the pedal or mod buss doesn't work.
Last edited by MC on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 pm

stevehunt wrote:Thanks all!!

I used to have an Old School and I think that did behave differently which isn't a big surprise.

Thanks I've tried the trick with the pot mapping. It's a bit weird but at least I can get vibrato now only when I use aftertouch :) It only works for me when I set amount to 100% and I have to dial in the required amount of vibrato with the mod wheel. If I use 50% or 25% then I am back to Square One and have vibrato all the time...
Cheers
There's more than one "mod wheel" in the destination list, make sure you're not using the wrong one. I think you may have picked one called "mod wheel amt".

stevehunt

Post by stevehunt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm

You're right MC, thanks - yeah it's perfect when I select Mod Wheel rather than Amt. Cheers :)

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:51 pm

MC wrote:
ummagumma wrote:wouldn't it be easier to just use the "amount" knob on the mod bus?

Doesn't work.

The circuit for shaping only works with CVs between 0 and 5V. Most modulation sources in the Voyager work between (-)5V and (+)5V. To accommodate, the AMOUNT knob includes a bias as you turn it up so that modulation sources are not clipped (modulation source never go below zero in the circuit). This is a compromise with sources like pressure, in that turning up the AMOUNT knob also includes a DC bias, which is why configuring it using the pedal or mod buss doesn't work.
aha, very interesting, thanks for that!