Recording Moogs

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: Recording Moogs

Post by thealien666 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi, and welcome.

Personally, all my analog synths (including my beloved 1975 Minimoog D) are plugged into an analog multi-channel mixer, and then directly to the line input on my Mac Mini. I then use Audacity software to record them. I will occasionally use some external effects like the EHX Cathedral stereo reverb, a Small Stone phaser, and a delay (either the one in the Cathedral or a Boss DD-7).

Hope this helps a little.

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Joscuzz

Post by Joscuzz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:38 pm

I process my Minitaur using Moogerfoogers MF102, 103 & CP-251 (etc) and run a mono output through a Golden Age Projects PreQ-73 (Neve clone) pre amp. On occasion, I like to fatten the sound some more using the 2x shelving EQs the GAP PreQ-73 provides. My preferred recorder of choice is a Zoom H4n which I record direct to. This is because I believe the signal quality to be cleaner recording direct from the GAP Pre amp to the Zoom H4n at 24Bit/48Khz, rather than direct to a DAW, and from there I can import the audio files in to my hard drive via USB. I'm not decrying recording direct to DAW it's just my preferred method.
Strictly no bubblegum: Moog Minitaur, MF102, CP-251, EP-3, Komplete Kontrol S25, Maschine Jam, GAP PreQ-73, GAP Comp-54 MKII, TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay, Spark, Dark Matter.

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:08 pm

I have the Minitaur and a Sub37 hitting the DI channels of an Audient ASP880. I love the raw sounds I'm getting. The signals then get sent to my Raydat via optical and recorded in Nuendo. With my buffers set to 32 on the Raydat I get very little latency and I usually end up using UAD Reverbs and Echoes for FX. I especially like their versions of the Echoplex EP-3 & EP-4 Tape Echoes (2 instances for stereo fun) and the Lexi 224, AMS RMX16, EMTPlate 140, EMT 250.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 pm

I have been going DI after using a delay or reverb

Roland octa capture USB device

I should try using an amp & miking the speaker though, just for kicks

I also have an old Soundcraft mixer with Sowter transformers, should give that a shot too!

jm4171

Post by jm4171 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Does anyone have like a super beginning level way to record the sounds? I have a focusrite 6i6, a mini moog model d and midi cables what else do I need to get this to work? i can see the midi notes in logic but cant hear any audio. My knowledge on this kinda stuff is lacking so any help is appreciated!

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:07 pm

MIDI does not transmit audio, besides from the MIDI cables you should use an audio cable from the High output on your D to your focusrite
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

jm4171

Post by jm4171 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 pm

bichuelo wrote:MIDI does not transmit audio, besides from the MIDI cables you should use an audio cable from the High output on your D to your focusrite
Okay i did that but I still cant hear the audio through the focusrite any other suggestions?

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:20 am

In Logic have you assigned the inputs your Moog is on to an audio track ?

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:34 am

Welcome to the forum Jessica. My approach to recording either of my Moogs is to use the signal chain that will deliver the sound I need at the moment. If I need a cleaner, subtle, or tight sound I may record my Moog direct. If I need a fatter, richer sound, or some distortion, I'll patch my Moog through one of my older analog boards and a hardware analog effects unit or possibly send it through a tube amp. Committing to an effects chain can significantly speed up the recording process and provide a sense of spontaneity and creativity. However you do need some advanced planning on how everything will come together because most effects are difficult to remove once they are added during the initial recording process. What gear do you currently have available to create a recording chain?
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

Mikenett

Post by Mikenett » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:44 am

jm4171 wrote:
bichuelo wrote:MIDI does not transmit audio, besides from the MIDI cables you should use an audio cable from the High output on your D to your focusrite
Okay i did that but I still cant hear the audio through the focusrite any other suggestions?
You need a audio track as well as the external midi track in logic

The audio track should be set to the same input as your Moog is plugged into your audio interface

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 am

all synths pass through a patchbay ( for inserting certain effects , splitting etc) , then to a analogue mixer ( soundtracs project8, 32ch +32, 8 groups) and into a rme ff400 to mac/cubase.
afcourse on the mixer diverse effects are added like springreveb ( fairchild) , echo ( maxon/ibanez bucket delay) etc.
works good for me.
monitoring is important topic too: dynaudio bm15p's with van medervoort ( dutch) amp for the mixing
or
peavey eurosys speakers with old Bell amp and active subwoofer ( magnat) for the jamming and or live performance, also to prevent damage to the more vulnerable / expensive dynaudio's.

(most of these components can be bought secondhand for not too big prices. b.e. a project8 mixer on the moment is being sold in the netherlands for ( asking price) 500 euro's , a pair of bm15p's will set you back about 600 euro's etc. combined with b.e. a samson amp or second hand rotel or kenwood might give you good soundmonitoring for reasonable price/ 1150euro's )

valtyr

Post by valtyr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:36 pm

The audio output from my Moogs is sent to a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer. I'll add in some reverb and then the output of the mixer is sent to my Alesis iO2, which is a USB sound interface connected to my iMac. I use Garageband for recording, and I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5 monitors.

If I'm just messing around, instead of the mixer I'll just send a mono signal to an old 1972 Fender Bassman 100 amp, crank it up and watch the furniture in the room move. :mrgreen: