Moog synth sighting! ZOMBI

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
hieronymous

Moog synth sighting! ZOMBI

Post by hieronymous » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:00 pm

As a bassist who dabbles with synths, ZOMBI is one of my favorite bands, and I finally got to see them live! They did not disappoint - they masterfully attacked their compositions. Anthony Paterra is a fantastic drummer - he triggered some sequences but mostly just played drums. It was so cool seeing how they did the songs live - sometimes Steve Moore would just play bass along with a sequenced part, sometimes he played keys (including stuff that I would assume was sequenced), and on at least one song he played the low E string with his right hand and synths with his left (like in the picture)!

Here's a question - what kind of Moog is he using here? It doesn't look like any Moog synths I'm familiar with (Little Phatty, Mini, Micro, Rogue, MG-1) - maybe it's just one that I don't know but maybe it's something custom?

Here's another view - I was also kind of surprised that he didn't use bass pedals.

Opener Author & Punisher was pretty interesting too - I think all the synths he used were made by him!

torinkrell

Re: Moog synth sighting! ZOMBI

Post by torinkrell » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Ah - this is an easy one for me since I have one. The Moog synth in question is definitely The Moog Source.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Cool - thanks! I've never seen one in person and definitely not from the back - well, now I have, but not before this past Sunday night. All the synths sounded really good!

Anyone else a fan of this band? I found a couple of posts here but they're from 15 years ago!

BigM

Post by BigM » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Super trio, the way I saw them, from Pittsburgh PA. A couple of years ago, they played here in Richmond, Va. the same night that Silver Apples were playing blocks away. Thankfully, the venues worked together and folks were able to see each band's show in full that night. Zombi packed Strange Matter that night. Great night for a prog fix!

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Rather than start another thread, thought I would post another Moog sighting with a different band here.

I saw Goblin the other night - this is the version with Massimo Morante on guitar, Maurizio Guarini on keyboards, Fabio Pignatelli on bass and Agostino Marangolo on drums. They had a falling out with Claudio Simonetti who tours with his own version of Goblin, but I love the rhythm section of this version and have been fortunate to see them twice now.

The opening band was called Mondo Drag from Oakland where I live! Never seen them until now though - good stuff, kinda doom but with a healthy dose of motorik.

The guy on the right mainly played guitar but did some stuff on keys - the only thing I really noticed was I think he was using the Moog to lay down some crazy body-vibrating (I was going to say bowel-vibrating) bass - I was actually kind of glad the bass didn't sound like that the whole way through!

I think it's a Prodigy, I think that's what's written on it (and I think I saw that before the show started, I like to check out gear if I can get up close enough), but again, I'm not too familiar with this one.
BigM wrote:Super trio, the way I saw them, from Pittsburgh PA. A couple of years ago, they played here in Richmond, Va. the same night that Silver Apples were playing blocks away. Thankfully, the venues worked together and folks were able to see each band's show in full that night. Zombi packed Strange Matter that night. Great night for a prog fix!
Sounds like a fun night!

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:07 am

I saw Queens of the Stone Age the other week (awesome). And while primarily a guitar-based band, they actually use quite a bit of synthesizers. Troy Van Leeuwen (who was 'poster boy' for the minifoogers) played a bit on what I suppose was a Sub Phatty. More extensively was Dean Fertita's use of a Subsequent 37 CV, which was clearly his main keyboard for the show. He used it in all capacities: Pads, lead synth lines, and blasssss. When in latter position, the hall started rumbling and everybody around me probably wondered why I suddenly started to scream out louder. :D

So Moog even gets a role to play in a 20 years old Stoner-Rock band! :-) It is for all!!!!!
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.