Slim phatty vs Sub 37

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
dds

Slim phatty vs Sub 37

Post by dds » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:02 pm

What do you guys think of changing Slim Phatty for Sub 37? Will i be miss those deep warm flavor from SP oscilators and filter?
Windows 10 | Ableton Live 9.7 | Moog Minitaur

Chimponaut

Re: Slim phatty vs Sub 37

Post by Chimponaut » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:47 pm

I've had the S37 for a little over a year and just got a used Slim a few weeks ago. So far the Slim has been a great addition. The difference in sound is pretty obvious to me. The Slim has more of an organic sound and the Sub37 can be slightly more clinical, precise sounding. They both sound absolutely amazing though. I will be keeping both til the end.

The used Sub37 market is still adjusting to the new Subsequent models hitting the shelves so you might be able find a good deal on the original Sub37 and keep both. That is what I would do anyway. Plus, I believe that the Slim was the last synth that Sir Bob had a hand in designing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Will i be miss those deep warm flavor from SP oscilators and filter?
That is a distinct possibility IMHO.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

Nordlicht

Post by Nordlicht » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:20 am

I can confirm that there is a significant difference in the general sound character between the "Sub family" and the older Little and Slim Phatty.

I've had first a Slim, later a Little Phatty and I really wanted to buy the Sub 37 when it arrived in the shops. Although the Sub 37 was/is a great synth with much more possibilities I was truly disappointed when playing in the shop because I wasn't able to get this "warm" Moog sound that I knew and loved from my SP/LP. The Subs sound rather cool, almost harsh and brute but not that creamy and "organic".
So, in the end I didn't buy the Sub 37 but a second hand Voyager Old School ;)

Btw: The single oscillators and the filter of the Voyager and the Slim/Little Ph. are sounding almost identical.
https://www.spektralfarben-music.com

KAWAI ES7, Uhl X3-2, Korg Kronos2-61, Nord Stage 3, Sequential Take 5, Nord Lead A1, Korg Pa3XLe.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:52 am

Same experience here.

I’ve been playing a Little Phatty for 6 years now. 4 years ago, a friend of mine bought a Sub Phatty, which I wanted to try especially for the full knobbed panel. I’ve been using it in our duo for 3 years now, and I cannot get “that” sound. I like it but would not trade my LP for it. The LP’s Overload circuit is much more of a smile-trigger to me than the Sub’s MultiDrive.

When the front panel of the Sub37 was unveiled, I was very excited. Then I had the opportunity to try it (very shortly) in a shop and was quite disappointed by the character (and the action). The oscillators and filter implementation are the same as the Sub Phatty’s and that’s what I tend not to like that much.

“Organic”, creamy” fit the impression I have too. “Meaty” does also. The LP is more rock ‘n’ roll. I play rock ‘n’ roll :)

On a side note, I also play a Voyager Old School and I prefer its sound to the Subs’. However it does not sounds exactly like the LP. The latter is wilder to me. I’m considering doing the slew rate mod on my VOS someday to get things more on the raw side…