My Minitaur is not making any sounds

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Barrman

My Minitaur is not making any sounds

Post by Barrman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit new to this and hope I'm making a mistake somewhere in my setup.

Currently I run an Arturia Keystep via usb into Ableton Live Lite.
What I'm trying to do is now add a Minitaur to my setup via USB midi.
The Minitaur is recognized by Ableton, drivers are up to date and when I open the Minitaur Editor plugin in Ableton I can turn knobs on the Minitaur, which is than perfectly reflected on screen, but I'm failing to get any sound out from the Minitaur.
Not when I use it as a VI nor when I use it as an effect behind another instrument in Ableton.

The only knob I can twist that is not mirroring it's movement on the plugin is the VCA knob, is this normal?
I've tried to get a standalone sound out of the Minitaur via the headphones out, but also there, no luck.

Is there potentially something wrong with the VCA knob/potmeter, or is it in my setup towards Ableton?

Thanks for the help!

bichuelo

Re: My Minitaur is not making any sounds

Post by bichuelo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Try putting the hardware volume at the middle, and move the VCA output on the Editor. Both are different controls and the second one might reset to zero under certain situations

Also check that the MIDI channel is the same on the Minitaur and your DAW/controller
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Barrman wrote:Hi Guys,

The Minitaur is recognized by Ableton, drivers are up to date and when I open the Minitaur Editor plugin in Ableton I can turn knobs on the Minitaur, which is than perfectly reflected on screen, but I'm failing to get any sound out from the Minitaur.
Not when I use it as a VI nor when I use it as an effect behind another instrument in Ableton.

The only knob I can twist that is not mirroring it's movement on the plugin is the VCA knob, is this normal?
I've tried to get a standalone sound out of the Minitaur via the headphones out, but also there, no luck.

Is there potentially something wrong with the VCA knob/potmeter, or is it in my setup towards Ableton?

Thanks for the help!
The VCA knob in the Editor doesn't respond to hardware movements here either. I never touch it though so I wasn't even aware until I checked it just now. Everything else is working great though. (I don't use Ableton or the Keystep) However, one thing that had me scratchin my head for a few minutes when I couldn't get sound from the MT turned out to be midi volume messages. Somehow a midi volume message was sent to the Minitaur from Nuendo. It turned the volume down completely and so no sound. Just one more thing to keep an eye on. Also, try disconnecting everything except the power cable and a known working audio cable or headphones and see if you are getting audio from the unit that way. Midi loops can do strange things and it gets even better/worse when you have 5 pin midi and usb midi happening at the same time. Good luck.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Chimponaut wrote:
Barrman wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help!
The VCA knob in the Editor doesn't respond to hardware movements here either. I never touch it though so I wasn't even aware until I checked it just now. Everything else is working great though. (I don't use Ableton or the Keystep) However, one thing that had me scratchin my head for a few minutes when I couldn't get sound from the MT turned out to be midi volume messages. Somehow a midi volume message was sent to the Minitaur from Nuendo. It turned the volume down completely and so no sound. Just one more thing to keep an eye on. Also, try disconnecting everything except the power cable and a known working audio cable or headphones and see if you are getting audio from the unit that way. Midi loops can do strange things and it gets even better/worse when you have 5 pin midi and usb midi happening at the same time. Good luck.
Indeed, the VCA knob (CC#7) is not related to the hardware Volume knob.

They are completely independent from each other. This is by design.

Simply turning the CC#7 up solves the problem, most of the times
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra