More pitch CV blues

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Sterling Mann

More pitch CV blues

Post by Sterling Mann » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:47 am

I thought playing my new Minitaur via my Little Phatty CV outs would be a match made in heaven, but it's pretty much playing the same note across the board. I don't mind using Midi, but it would be nice to get the pitch cv working since it's there! Seems pitch CV has been a issue for some and that there has been some luck using the calibration utility via the editor. I've been searching all day and still having a tough time finding a clear concise description on how this is done. I've tried many times with the LP and then with a Pro2 without luck. I would very much appreciate clear step by step instructions on how this is done if anyone cares to help. Thanks so much!

stiiiiiiive

Re: More pitch CV blues

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:53 am

I only have the LP with CV out here, here is how I would proceed with a Minitaur:
- LP Pitch CV out --> Minitaur Pitch CV In
- LP Gate out --> Minitaur Gate In.

That's it.

Remember that the Minitaur oscillators are design so that they won't track pitch above C4 (or is it C5...?). Try to transpose the LP a bit downwards.

For troubleshooting:
- Try changing cables
- Try the Minitaur pitch CV input with some expression pedal
- Try the LP pitch CV out with one of your Slim Phatties
... and tell us what :)

Sterling Mann

Post by Sterling Mann » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 am

Thanks stiiiiiiive! I have my cables connected correctly 8) Apparently this is a unfortunate issue with some Minitaurs where the pitch just doesn't track. There is a calibration procedure in which you send 1v and then 4v to the Minitaur while holding down a button in the editor. I have attempted this 20+ times in different combinations and while it changes the way the Minitaur responds it is still very far from being correct. The other CV inputs work properly and can even be mapped to other parameters which is very cool.

This little synth sounds so good and I don't really mind using Midi, but I would like all the features of my new instrument to work correctly.

Btw, sold all the Slim Phatties for more euro stuff. It was fun but felt like I was always messing with tuning and how they worked together seemed kind of inconsistent day to day. Anyway it was more work than I wanted to put into it, but now I'm messing with this Minitaur!!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:30 am

Ah sorry to hear about the Minitaur stuff. I hope you'll get this sorted out soon.

Thanks for your impressions on polychaining. I'm not sure I want to go further on that track - I'm at 1+1 now. We'll see :)

Sterling Mann

Post by Sterling Mann » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:02 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Ah sorry to hear about the Minitaur stuff. I hope you'll get this sorted out soon.

Thanks for your impressions on polychaining. I'm not sure I want to go further on that track - I'm at 1+1 now. We'll see :)
I think 2 Phatties is the perfect number..more than that was a bit over the top for me personally. The Phatty & Minitaur combo is really nice too. As far as modern Moog sound is concerned these 2 are my favorite.

Sterling Mann

Post by Sterling Mann » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:07 pm

No word back from Moog on this. I was hoping for some clear directions on how to calibrate as I can't seem to find any documentation on it. There are quite a few posts about this from a few years back but couldn't gleen much from them. I'll stick with Midi and maybe use the CV inputs for modulation and be happy with it :D

chefmenteur

Post by chefmenteur » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Did you ever get it to work? I was never able to get the pitch CV input to track correctly on mine either.