Sub 37 not receiving midi clock off Korg Krome

Everything Sub.
Daniel Pugh

Sub 37 not receiving midi clock off Korg Krome

Post by Daniel Pugh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 am

Hi,
I'm a newbie having problems with synchronising my Sub 37 sequencer to a Korg Krome, using the Korg as my master.
It just won't sync at all mostly and on the rare occasion it does, although I save the setting to the preset, if I stop and restart the sequence during a song, it plays up.
I am in contact with an engineer from the Moog distributer but things are not resolving.
Does anyone else out there have the same problem?
I do not want to use another piece of equipment to sort this out - getting a laptop for the purpose has been suggested - as I work live and I do not want to lug around and set up another piece of kit just to trigger the Sub sequencer.
I would be grateful for any solution that may be available - that doesn't require more and more equipment, as I have enough!
Just to add, I have other midi gear and I am fairly confident that the Korg is not malfunctioning.
Ta!
Dan.

Daniel Pugh

Re: Sub 37 not receiving midi clock off Korg Krome

Post by Daniel Pugh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:11 am

In addition to my query, the Krome appears to be sending the tempo ok - I have a little volca and the tempo light flashes in synce even without pressing the sequencer on that but when I short press the sync button in the arp section of the Sub, the rate light goes out. The distributer guy said that the Sub was 'waiting' for midi clock to be sent, which I didn't really understand, as I thought the Korg was sending all the time. I expected the rate light to flash at the external tempo when I pressed the sync button but this does not happen.
Can anyone explain the symptoms I am getting????.
:D

MDMA

Post by MDMA » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 am

What is it you are trying to sync? There are many functions on the moog that can be synced

I'm assuming you want to sync the sequencer on the moog?
Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2.

Daniel Pugh

Post by Daniel Pugh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 am

Yes. I want the Sub sequencer to run exactly in time with the drum track of the Korg Krome.

Daniel Pugh

Post by Daniel Pugh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:36 am

I thought it would be so easy, connect midi out from the Krome to the midi in of the Sub, press the sync button and hey presto. Alas, no. One of the two isn't playing ball or I'm missing something!

MDMA

Post by MDMA » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm

without trying to question your intelligence, you are drawing in midi data to activate the sequencer aren't you ? That in turn with not actually pushing the sequencer "on" button are the most common mistakes.

Assuming all midi channels are correct then you should be good.
Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2.

Daniel Pugh

Post by Daniel Pugh » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:42 am

MDMA, many thanks for considering my problem by the way!
Yes, the sequencer on button is pressed and the drum track is on for the Korg, sometimes it is primed for key actuation and sometimes to start immediately; I've done most combinations and no joy. When I press sync, the rate light goes out.
I have been back to the shop and they have hooked up a sick Sub 37 and a stock Krome with the same result.

MDMA

Post by MDMA » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:31 am

So they just don't play nice then?

Daniel Pugh

Post by Daniel Pugh » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:42 am

Yep! You got it nailed!
It's infuriating as I couldn't tell you 100% that every time it WON'T sync... Maybe 99% tho!
Once or twice the red midi light flashes in tempo, other times it doesn't. And I don't appear to be changing anything on the boards to explain getting different results.
The midi light flashes for note on/off data, so I know data is still going thru

Daniel Pugh

Post by Daniel Pugh » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:48 am

I've been back to the shop. Seems they can't get the Sub to sync with any Roland or Novation products either so it's looking increasingly unlikely that it is the Korg at fault. As I can't return the unit as I've had it way too long, looks like I'll have to sell it unless I can find a way to get my Sub to sync with the Kromes. I'm very disappointed.

MDMA

Post by MDMA » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:22 am

An external midi clock?

Daniel Pugh

Post by Daniel Pugh » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:59 am

Yes, clock/tempo coming from the Krome via midi out from the Krome to midi in on the Sub.
MDMA- have you had any issues with syncing the Sub via midi? :?:

MDMA

Post by MDMA » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:47 am

What I meant was maybe try a dedicated external midi clock, but if the sub is duff then this wouldn't work would it.

No l, I have never had an issue, mine is fine and syncs with my daw and other hardware fine.

Daniel Pugh

Post by Daniel Pugh » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Although I've got others at the shop to try and sync the Sub to a master keyboard it is still possible that we are all screwing this process up. Can someone outline the process of syncing a sequenced phrase in the Sub to a master keyboard's tempo so that it plays in sync with a drum track being played by that master keyboard?
I would be very grateful! :D

Daniel Pugh

Post by Daniel Pugh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:41 am

After some more research I've found a video of a Sub owner using an E-RM external hardware midiclock. The Sub in the video does not respond straight away as it seemed to be waiting for the E-RM to send a 'start' or 'play' message. Does this sound about right to anyone syncing the Sub sequencer?