LP poly chain

Everything Phatty.
Ledbetter

Re: LP poly chain

Post by Ledbetter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Read the Fabulous Manual. Pages 39-41 refer to sending firmware updates via MIDI.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:52 am

What manual are you talking about? I’ve read the LP and Slim ones but could not find such references other than p.41-43: Sysex menu description.

I only found that current preset transmission, all presets transmission or bulk dump transmission were possible.
Bulk dump contains presets, global data and performance data but firmware seems not to be transmitted this way. Actually I can’t see any way to send the firmware from a instrument.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:05 am

Stiiiiive,

Moog Phatty SE II Users Manual
March 16, 2014 at page 41:

"The LP will display a ‘RX FIRMWARE’ message when a firmware update is transmitted. Additional status messages may appear on the second line of the display as the transmission executes. After the firmware update is completed, the LP will automatically reset. "
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 am

Yep, I read that but I think ColeGaskins meant he had the said version already installed in one of his Slims, not on a computer.
ColeGaskins wrote:I've got 690/34 but I have no idea how to download it to the rest of my slims.
The manual does not describe any procedure for transmitting an OS from a Slim, does it?

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:46 pm

The page I referenced above is in the sysex part of the manual, right after midi sysex bulk dump. It appears from the manual that if you conduct a sysex bulk dump from one Little or Slim to another, there is an option for receiving the firmware update from the sending unit. I have not done this myself.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 am

Sorry to be the one insisting here but I’m having hard time trying to find that…

In the said section C (SYSEX Menus), there are the following subsections (the actual menu items):
- SEND CURRENT PRESET
- SEND ALL PRESETS
- BULK DUMP that says: “This option allows you to save the entire state of the LP (including all global data, performance set data and preset data) for later recovery. To execute a bulk dump, enable the device that is to receive the SysEx data. Once your remote SysEx device is enabled, press ENTER to start the data transfer.
Those are about sending sysex and no firmware seems to be mentioned.

Then there is a section titled Receiving SysEx Data, with the following subsections:
- SINGLE PRESETS
- ALL PRESETS
- BULK DUMP that says: ” The LP will display a ‘RECEIVING BULK DUMP’ message when a bulk
dump is transmitted.

- FIRMWARE UPDATES that says: “The LP will display a ‘RX FIRMWARE’ message when a firmware update is transmitted. Additional status messages may appear on the second line of the display as the transmission executes. After the firmware update is completed, the LP will automatically reset.

What I read here is just how the instrument will behave while receiving a firmware update. Am I right?

After that, the System Utilities Menus section (section D) starts.

I really cannot see anything about transmitting the firmware from an instrument in here.

Have I missed the obvious here?...

Sterling Mann

Post by Sterling Mann » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
I really cannot see anything about transmitting the firmware from an instrument in here.

Have I missed the obvious here?...
I'm pretty sure there is no way to do this. I believe the RX Firmware is displayed when Phatty is receiving the update transmission.

Also the S in file name stands for Stage edition whereas the Slim has no S and the Tribute edition would have a T. So I think you're all good!

ozfunghi

Post by ozfunghi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Sterling Mann wrote:
ozfunghi wrote::D 8) Made my own rack
Woah, I want to make a rack like that! Care to show how you did it?
I measured the sides of the SP, and made a 2D design in Adobe Illustrator (you could use inkscape or other free alternatives). I lasercut the design in plywood and painted it black. Maybe i'll put the design up for download on thingiverse (with a large format 3D printer, you could also print it i suppose) in the future.

sindyciaray

Post by sindyciaray » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:49 am

I haven't experimented enough to know if note priority settings play into this behavior

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Anyone still having firmware download issues, post here. There’s a piece of software you have to have on your computer to load the firmware. Must be done from a computer, no apparent way to do it synth to synth.

B.Minor

Post by B.Minor » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:43 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Precisions.

On the LPSE2, the system utilities menu indicates 3.21 690 33.
The init sequence indicates Little Phatty Boot v1.1 then 3.21S.690.

On the Slim Phatty, the system utilities menu indicates 3.21 690 31.
The init sequence indicates Slim Phatty Boot v1.1, then 3.21 690.

That 690 34 must have been a available only for factory installation, not for upgrades. Am I wrong, anyone?...
Hi stiiiiiiive,
not sure if your request still exists after almost two years, but I can answer your questions, especially how to compensate the firmware differences you may have experienced on your Phatties; at least I can tell you for your "Slim(s)":

At first you have to differentiate between OS firmware and USB firmware. For example, while "3.21 690" represents the information about the actual OS version and build, "31" just shows the USB firmware version that is currently applied on your SP. Secondly, I saw that bootloader version "1.1" is already installed which is very good. If not, you could brick your gear if trying to send any firmware to it. For the SP there is currently the latest OS version 3.21 build 690 downloadable from Moog (which is also matching your configuration):
OS 3.21 build 690 for Slim Phatty: (https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... v3.2.1.zip)
In fact this archive contains just a "hex" file for the F/W; the related loader (in order to apply that firmware from a Win PC to your gear) is to be obtained from another Moog space:
Slim Phatty firmware loader: http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... _win32.zip

So far so good, you don't need those steps anymore, as you already have the latest OS applied. But what about the USB differences? As far as I understood, you'd like to know how to update to USB version "34" on some of your gear, as it still is stuck on version "31", right? The latest USB version "34" was not just experimental as you thought first, it was officially posted by Amos a long time ago; however, the related D/L link had disappeared from the Moog site completely. However, in my actual post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31756#p172927 I described that I have discovered the actual link again where you still can find that particular USB firmware for your SP:
Slim Phatty USB firmware and loader: http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... SB_v34.zip
This archive finally contains that very particular USB firmware (this time not as a hex file but as a syx file) together with its related loader (exe) which you have to run once from a PC, finally updating your current USB version "31" to version "34" accordingly. After that, all your Slims will have the latest and greatest release applied: "3.21 690 34".

As I can see, for your Little Phatty you have already succeeded to update to the latest USB F/W, as there you have already the latest and greatest version applied which is "33". Therefore it's important to know that you should never try to apply the Slim Phatty USB version "34" to your LP; you could brick your device. Personally I'm currently at the point, having version "32" installed on my LP, but I don't know from where to get the latest update version to "33" which was once available separately ("LP_USB_v33.zip") and which was also officially available for the Little Phatty Stage II as part of the OS V3.12 build 680 archive file ("LP_Stage_StageII_v3_12_680_Update_WIN.zip"). Unfortunately, none of the two files are hosted anymore by Moog - so I'm completely stuck there. As I can see that the particular USB version "33" is already installed on your LP, could you eventually take a look at your personal PC storage resources if you still can find any of those two files? Any help whould be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Martin

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:09 am

Hi Martin.

Thanks for the extensive explanation!
I'm not into para-phatty-phonying anymore, but the important thing you mentioned is that the last number in the identifier is the USB version. I think polychaining does not care about that, it only prefers the OS to be matching... which is the case over here.

I have here a LP_Stage_StageII_v3_12_680_Update_OSX_2 file, but no PC version. I would have been glad to be of a better help.
However, if you can access a Mac, I'll be happy to send it to you!

B.Minor

Post by B.Minor » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi stiiiiiiive,
Wow, that would be great! 8)
Thanks a lot for your offer. I'll sent a PM to you.

Edit:
Btw., not sure if you want to take the time to update your gear once more, but for the Little Phatty the latest official OS is "VERS:3.21S 691 33".
The files (Win and OSX) are both downloadable from Moog. Just in case you want to save those files as well before they are also gone forever...

Cheers

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:42 pm

Just downloaded, thanks for the advice :)
I'm sending you a mail with the file you're after!

B.Minor

Post by B.Minor » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi Steve,

once again, thanks for submitting your archive to me. I appreciate any help!
Unfortunately the OSX archive did not include any USB update loaders or related files; maybe this option was just included in the related package for Windows. At least in the related RTF documentation belonging to the archive I'm looking for (and that's the only reference I found on the internet), there is following text included:

Moog Little Phatty Stage / Stage II synthesizer
Firmware update v3.12 – build 680
[Microsoft Windows]

USB UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS:
(If your Little Phatty Stage Edition does not have a USB port, skip this step and proceed to the Firmware Update Instructions below.)
Connect USB from your Windows computer to your Little Phatty's USB port.
On your computer, launch the application "LP_USB_v33.exe"
Type the number corresponding to your LP's USB MIDI connection - it will be called either Little Phatty SE II (Win7, Vista) or USB Audio Device (winXP,98).
Press Enter to begin the transfer. Wait until the transfer is complete.
On the LP, you should see "USB UPGRADED" on the LCD screen.
Press MASTER or PRESET on the LP to clear this message.
Press Enter on your computer to exit the USB upgrade utility.

The description makes me confident that the "LP_USB_v33.exe" and its related "LP_USB_v33.syx" files were both initially included in this WIN update pack.
I "only" have to find it anywhere...